• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Winter Storage Tips

I also intend on going out in the garage and starting the car every couple/three weeks, just to keep things moving and lubricated.

I used to do this when I first bought my NSX.
Then I read that the majority of the wear on an engine comes from starting it when there is only a film of oil on the moving parts so I stopped.

^But in the same respect, everyone says if one has been sitting for a while to lubricate the cylinder walls prior to turning it over. I think it all really depends on what your view is.

Either way, a good oil should leave a film on the walls of the cylinders. Honestly, if I can sneak the car out for a drive and the roads are clear, I probably will during the winter at times. Fortunately it stays cold, but not snowy/icy all the time during the winter here. I won't be taking it out in inclement weather though...

My personal opinion is they're meant to be driven/run at the very least, but each person has their own opinion.

My garage is heated so I'm not overly worried about anything getting so cold it freezes or cracks the leather/dashboard.

Thx for the info! I like to read what others do, to get reference points & ideas. But have the Canadians here or anyoneor figured out why that dash center piece cracks and/or what can be done preventatively to protect against that? I searched here on Prime and found no smoking guns/causes but can only guess that it's due to extreme temperature cycling during winter heating & summer cooling.

Edit: Best to not ask Meeyatch for winterizing storage advice.

447794_NSX_Dec_8_2005_snow_front_dr_side_Indy_.jpg

447794_NSX_Dec_8_2005_snow_rear_Indy_.jpg

Last edited:
I have read that as well putting it up on jack stands is not good for the suspension.

I finally gave in and put mine away yesterday. I have been doing this with all my fun cars for 5-6 months of MN winters every year. This is the 2nd winter with the NSX.

Washed
Waxed
Cleaned Interior
Made sure all fluids were full
Filled it all the way full with gas (I've done stabil and without, doesn't make a difference, gas has already changed to the winter blend by now and if just storing over the winter my tuner says no need to even use it since the gas should be good for the cold months)
Dryer sheets
Cracked windows
Threw Cover on
Stuff exhaust with towels
Put tarp down in the corner
Pushed the car back into the corner

Good enough

Putting it on jack stands loaded, meaning that the suspension is compressed, isn't an issue. It's pretty much the same as if it were sitting on the ground.

Unloaded, letting the suspension droop, is thought to be bad for the bushings but I have yet to see actual evidence of this.

I've been storing personal cars for about +20years, and the NSX for about 14 of those years lol There are some interesting tips in there for sure, I would say I'm against the removal of the gas from the tank for mere 5-6 months storage unless you are storing for years then I could see that. Not sure you'd want the fuel pump, seals, and tank to go dry potential dry rotting and raising rusting issues over extended periods of time. I usually wait until spring to do a fresh oil change but trans, brake, coolant I do every 2 years and never had any issues with any of my cars. Washed, cleaned possible wax and car cover all great ideas, Battery tender is a must in any temp storage area well unless you remove the battery and bring it into warmth and keep it trickle charged up.

Some great tips otherwise for anyone not sure what to do for storage. This was also posted in the Buy/Sell Wiki some time ago maybe some of the tip can be added by admins:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/long_term_storage.htm

Is anyone fogging their engines as well?

Last edited:
My personal opinion is they're meant to be driven/run at the very least, but each person has their own opinion.

I agree with this guy....

Why would you "store" the car??? - Its NOT going to SNOW or RAIN every single day in the winter time. You are going to have one or 2 days of good, sunny, dry weather a week at least. There will be plenty of opportunity to do a quick drive of the car.

- - - Updated - - -

What does that mean? :confused:

"fogging oil" (anticorrosive) added to an engine to winterize it. You spray it in the throttle body, slowly choking the engine and lubricating the cylinder walls.

This is used for boat engines and small engines etc that get truly stored. Please don't fog your $10,000 engine.

Last edited:
I agree with this guy....

Why would you "store" the car??? - Its NOT going to SNOW or RAIN every single day in the winter time. You are going to have one or 2 days of good, sunny, dry weather a week at least. There will be plenty of opportunity to do a quick drive of the car.

- - - Updated - - -

"fogging oil" (anticorrosive) added to an engine to winterize it. You spray it in the throttle body, slowly choking the engine and lubricating the cylinder walls.

This is used for boat engines and small engines etc that get truly stored. Please don't fog your $10,000 engine.

The fogging was meant as a joke I would certainly hope no one does that at all lol It meant for small engines for those who want to know more about what fogging oil is see Amsoil's website www.amsoil.com/storefront/fog.aspx

But I have heard of people putting removing the spark plugs and putting a few drops of clean engine oil to help keep the pistons and rings luricated during extended (years) of storage, as well as pushing backing plates on brake pads so caliper pistions don't rust and seize against the rotors.

Undoubtedly there are some good tips here and I'll follow some but man I wish Wayne Carrini and Roger were members and could chime in. Ahhhh don't bother with anything silly like a car cover, just keep the keys in a safe spot then 4 months or 40 years later, just get a fresh battery and put in some new oil, spark plugs, and gas, take a smoking break, then blow out the rat poop from the exhaust and create some smoke!

Though yeah like all of you I'm sure, I'd like to know how long a car brought back from the dead would last for the next owner before engine rebuild. :)

As we come to the end of the driving season in Canada, here are some Winter Storage Tips for your NSX:.....

What do you mean by 'end of the driving season'? Oh, I get it...........you don't live on the West Coast. :biggrin:

Why would you "store" the car???
Lots of reasons.

Some people own their car to use in track events, and there are no track events in northern climes in winter.

Some people prefer to save on their insurance bills by turning off liability and collision coverages during winter.

Some people don't want to drive on frigid roads (even if dry) on summer tires, and don't want to bother with swapping to winter tires.

Some people prefer to keep their cars clean and can't wash their cars at home when it's below freezing in winter.

Some people prefer to use their cars primarily for sunny-weather drives.

Lots of owners use their cars in different ways. Glad to hear that you're enjoying yours the way you prefer. Don't diss those who enjoy theirs in ways different from you.

What do you mean by 'end of the driving season'? Oh, I get it...........you don't live on the West Coast. :biggrin:
Watch out, some lamebrain on the forums will accuse you of "West Coast elitism". Some individuals seem to enjoy concocting accusations of elitism on NSXprime. :biggrin:

(I'm sure you notice that you and I used smilies here, so we both understand that this is all in good fun. Even if some other people have trouble with that concept. ;) )

I've read the same about suspension drooping on jack stands for a long time.

Is there any damage from starting a car after so long? All the oil has drained from the engine components. Or is it fine to cold start like that?

Is there any damage from starting a car after so long? All the oil has drained from the engine components. Or is it fine to cold start like that?
Doesn't all the oil drain into the oil pan when a car sits overnight? Why would it be any different if the car then sits for another few days, weeks, or months?

Watch out, some lamebrain on the forums will accuse you of "West Coast elitism". Some individuals seem to enjoy concocting accusations of elitism on NSXprime. :biggrin:

(I'm sure you notice that you and I used smilies here, so we both understand that this is all in good fun. Even if some other people have trouble with that concept. ;) )
You're absolutely right. I don't want to be accused of that. I should have said "you don't live on the Wet Coast". So what I need to do is to find a good place to have my NSX rust-protected. :wink:

I can give you the email of the GPW seller I met who intentionally had an Acura dealer rustproof the entire underside including the suspension arms. The aluminum bits are now safe from rust and look like they were dipped in chocolate, kind of nice!

My cars been sitting on jack stands for 14 yrs during the winter and never had a problem. It's tracked, driven very aggressively and steering and handling are still tight.

Lots of reasons.
Don't diss those who enjoy theirs in ways different from you.

Its my opinion, I'm not "diss'ing" anybody (is that a short form for disillusioning?);
Surely someone with over 26,000 posts, and over 13 years of membership in this forum should appreciate occasional voiced opinions.

re-storage its no big deal either way... some ppl store some dont (many reasons on both sides), this thread has been to help those who do.

i think its the 2nd last fill up for me b4 my car goes into storage. going to drive the crap out of my car next week!

Back