• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Winter Storage Tips

20-30 cm snow forcast for Ottawa over the next 2 weeks.. First day of spring is March 21st right??.....good things come to those who wait.

Lucas

.....good things come to those who wait.

Isn't that "good things come to those who live somewhere else" ?

angry.gif

... I think this is all a conspiracy against me, the poor foolish soul who bought his first NSX just before winter of 2014. I can tell my grand children that I bought my NSX just before hell froze over...

Last edited:
april 1 looks to be approx 10 degree C (and stabilized). looks like 2nd week of april it is :)

some of my buddies put on their insurance yesterday

Attachments

• weather.jpg
    weather.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 208
We had one of the warmest days yesterday in Ottawa. Spotted a R8 Spyder

However.....I woke up to 5-10 cm of snow.
At least those R8's have Quattro haha.

Looking forward to a warm April :rolleyes:

april 1 looks to be approx 10 degree C (and stabilized). looks like 2nd week of april it is :)

some of my buddies put on their insurance yesterday

Really?... That would be awesome. I was thinking May, we got 10 cm today, doesn't look like it's giving up.

You think the salt will be gone by 2nd week of April?

10 cm in ottawa? wth :(

we had a little more snow last night. i normally swap my winters/summers during 2nd week of april so i figured i'd add insurance back on as well.

re salt, i dont think its anything a nice spray down in the nice warm weather cant fix.

Last edited:
I just got the insurance on mine on the 21st and boy did i miss driving my NSX... shes back in the garage now sleeping till all the winter mess is cleared up.

This isn't a weather thread.... this thread should contain helpful info on winter storage. I'm sick of getting notifications to check this thread just to find out you guys think we need you to tell us the weather.

This isn't a weather thread.... this thread should contain helpful info on winter storage. I'm sick of getting notifications to check this thread just to find out you guys think we need you to tell us the weather.

I'm actually very interested in knowing when people are bringing their cars out from storage. I find this information totally useful and relevant to winter storage, especially for people in their first Spring with an NSX.

If you don't like it, there's a useful feature called Unsubscribe.

Last edited:
there was useful info and tons of it; not to mention that winter storage process has been roughly the same process for the past 20 years but helpful members still start new threads to help out the community.

from what i gather, both cdns and americans on this thread have been nothing but friendly/helpful re storage tips and/or cheerfully joking about the worst winter in over a decade.

chill out, ignore this thread (use search function for countless previous threads re winter storage) or like others have stated, just unsubscribe.

i can't see anything wrong with fellow car enthusiasts getting excited upon the dawn of enjoying our cars again.

Last edited:
56 degrees tomorrow with 0% chance of rain, woohooo! But I don't want to be "that guy" driving around with my top off already, I'm waiting for it to reach the 60's for that! (so far this "spring" the only people I've seen driving with their tops down on days in the 50's were old men with BMWs or corvettes)

hey what's with all this useless weather blather ........:biggrin:

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Buh bye

Edit: don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

The fact that you bumped a thread that hadn't been updated in 5 days to complain was silly enough, but couple that with your next post about the weather is just inane.

We all have bad days, that's fine; but don't come into a fairly small community full of friends and friendly people to start drama. It's not appreciated and won't be tolerated.

Last edited:
back on the road this morning, and went for a 30 minute stroll.

myw-albums-997-1-cobalt-blue-c2s-picture25310-car-gets-to-see-some-sun-again-after-half-a-year-of-sleeping.jpg

looking forward to coffee+breakfast with you guys soon.

some neighbors dropped by yesterday for a quick chat. 2010 turbo + 2013 boxter

myw-albums-friends-rides-picture25307-the-neighors-dropping-by-come-spring.jpg

myw-albums-friends-rides-picture25308-eddies-turboed-amazing-997-2-turbo.jpg

myw-albums-friends-rides-picture25306-mohammeds-2013-boxter-turboed-997-2-turbo.jpg

back on the road this morning, and went for a 30 minute stroll.

myw-albums-997-1-cobalt-blue-c2s-picture25310-car-gets-to-see-some-sun-again-after-half-a-year-of-sleeping.jpg

looking forward to coffee+breakfast with you guys soon.

some neighbors dropped by yesterday for a quick chat. 2010 turbo +

I'm so jealous, we got some heavy snow on Sunday, but it's going to be in the positive side all week, so I'm hoping I see a sweeper on the road soon...

I plugged in my battery that i had taken out ofmy nsx to recharge, so that's a positive development on my side :)

Can hardly contain myself. ..

ps. Nice little group of 911s, my brother just picked up a 2014 turbo S. He is challenging me on the track, but i know better, 2.8 sec 0-60 awd and aws

2014 turbo s. thats one crazy way to spend 200 grand!

ps. butter78 on the road too :)

I'm so jealous, we got some heavy snow on Sunday, but it's going to be in the positive side all week, so I'm hoping I see a sweeper on the road soon...

I plugged in my battery that i had taken out ofmy nsx to recharge, so that's a positive development on my side :)

Can hardly contain myself. ..

ps. Nice little group of 911s, my brother just picked up a 2014 turbo S. He is challenging me on the track, but i know better, 2.8 sec 0-60 awd and aws

Aren't you all above the equator glad it's not winter?

But thinking ahead, I'm going to look for ethanol-free gas at least 91 octane, and see if I can keep the NSX filled with that from now on. There are plenty of 89 octane options nearby but really no 91 options. Anyone here move to regularly buying only ethanol-free, and add octane boost to theirs?

Aren't you all above the equator glad it's not winter?

But thinking ahead, I'm going to look for ethanol-free gas at least 91 octane, and see if I can keep the NSX filled with that from now on. There are plenty of 89 octane options nearby but really no 91 options. Anyone here move to regularly buying only ethanol-free, and add octane boost to theirs?

Indeed; but, as of late Montana and ND seem to be sending a lot of bad stuff our way. Last night involved a tornado and some tennis ball sized hail not to far from us. That would definitely be bad news for a thin skinned NSX. Perhaps when the Governor of Wisconsin gets his wall built along the 49 th parallel, it will stem the flow of nasty weather ??:smile:. I haven't quite figured that one out as last time I looked, Wisconsin wasn't a border state.

In western Canada, all the 91 octane premium that I have found appears to be non ethanol blended (the little 'may contain up to 10% ethanol sticker' is not present on the pump). The 87 and 89 octane blends all have the sticker beside their select button. The exception to this is the Mohawk brand 92 octane blend which has ethanol in it.

Last edited:
Cool. If it were readily handy for me, I might imbibe in some to see if there's any non-placebo effect increase in performance in loud mode. But as it stands, only 89 octane is available within sensible driving distance nearby.

I asked a friend who works in engine/combustion research if it was worth pursuing "pure gas" both for daily use and for winter storage, as most of the gas currently in my tank is from 2015. Going to burn up a lot of that gas this weekend in my first real outing in 2016 due to work. Since my ability to put food on the table isn't dependent upon saving 1 second in lap times, I may just pass on the pure gas though, as far as worrying about storage & engine/tank/fuel system care. For anyone's enlightenment, education, or just entertainment:

Andy,

I wouldn't worry about the 10% ethanol at all. The gasoline volatility probably degraded some over a year, but I wouldn't be too concerned about that either. I am not familiar with CF5, but I do like Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner (black bottle, comes in 12 or 20 gallon treatment sizes). That is a good solvent, which has helped clear a fouled injector for me. I would dump a bottle of that in, fill up the rest of the tank with a Top Tier brand gasoline (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/), and drive it a bunch. Don't worry about draining year old fuel. The rough running may be from some gum formation, but between the Techron and additive package in a good gasoline, that should clear up in a hundred miles or so.

I am surprised you cannot get 91 (R+M)/2 octane gas there. You could live with 89 if you do not get aggressive with the go pedal. Even the older NSX will have enough spark retard available with the knock sensor to keep you out of trouble for normal driving, without lugging the engine. Does your manual recommend 91 minimum for (RON + MON)/2 (also known as Anti Knock Index) or 91 RON minimum octane? If it specifies 91 RON minimum, the 89 (R+M)/2 octane on the yellow decal on the gas pump is fine. The Research Octane Number rating is almost always higher than the Motor Octane Number rating (the exceptions being only some weird single compounds in the research world).

The debate between over 10% ethanol by some folks is nothing to worry about. Higher blends is trouble for your older car, but E10 is fine. Don't bother seeking out non-ethanol gasoline for that.

Some Stabil certainly will not hurt for winter storage. Ethanol itself (at E10 level) isn¹t bad, and often gets blamed for more issues than it causes. It will absorb water, but maintains it as single phase in small amounts. On a modern car with closed fuel systems, water isn¹t a real problem. Your lawnmower with an open vented cap in humid Florida is another issue.

Brad

Puregas.org I use this site when driving in the US.
In Canada, I just use Shell91 as it is zero % ethanol .

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Back