• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How Much Did You Spend Immediately on Maintenance/Mods?

I just got my NSX about 2 weeks ago and am doing some maintenance to get it in tip top shape. I'm curious to see what the average cost is to get these ~20 year old cars into reasonable driving shape immediately after acquisition.

Since I plan on selling this car in two years when I upgrade, I thought it'd be nice to have a thread showing what's been done.

Mileage: 124,xxx
Year: 1995

Maintenance
Oil Change: $50
Transmission Fluid: $50
6 Ignition Coils: $642 ($107 x 6)
Clutch Master Cylinder: $167
Slave Cylinder: $127
Valve Cover Gaskets: $38 ($19 x 2)
Spark Plugs: $96 ($16 x 6)
Spark Plug Tube Seals: $22.98 ($3.83 x 6)
Coolant: $38 ($19 x 2)
All Hoses: $350
Trunk Shocks: $96 ($48 x 2)
Engine Bay Shocks: $76 ($38 x 2)
Bent Rim: $100
Labor: $1000 (for all above)

Mods
S4Play LED Update Kit: $235
WhiteNsx HID Kit: $236

Grand Total: $3324

The timing belt/water pump was done two years ago. For those looking for "true cost to own," this might be a useful thread.

I did the TB/WB right after buying, so $1393.86 (I think that included an oil change).

I recently transferred all my receipts to a spreadsheet, 8+ years and 100,000+ miles worth of receipts. I had thought it might be worth a thread to document longer term expenses but haven't got around to it. It was sobering to see the bottom line. More than I expected.

Never tried to upload/attach in a post. Let's see if this works.

View attachment NSX Expenses.pdf

I did the TB/WB right after buying, so $1393.86 (I think that included an oil change).

I recently transferred all my receipts to a spreadsheet, 8+ years and 100,000+ miles worth of receipts. I had thought it might be worth a thread to document longer term expenses but haven't got around to it. It was sobering to see the bottom line. More than I expected.

View attachment 106848

That's a good idea, I have it all written down so I will add it into an Excel sheet. Wow, looking at that list, you win. I'm amazed how quickly parts add up for this car. Loving it though!

Why did you replace the coils? Also, when my TB/WP service was done, spark plugs were also replaced. I'm not sure if that's standard but if so you didn't need them. Clutch master and slave were a good idea. That's some pretty good service you got there. At 124,000, take a peek at your right inner CV boot. Those usually go a bad from exhaust heat.

Why did you replace the coils? Also, when my TB/WP service was done, spark plugs were also replaced. I'm not sure if that's standard but if so you didn't need them. Clutch master and slave were a good idea. That's some pretty good service you got there. At 124,000, take a peek at your right inner CV boot. Those usually go a bad from exhaust heat.

I took the car to a car wash and it started "hesitating" badly going into first gear. It was hard for me as a new manual driver to apply the appropriate gas to get it into gear, though it could be done. My mechanic said water leaked into the coils and needed to replace them.

Hey heyskippy, how are you getting TB/WP so cheap? All quotes I got were like $2200+ (even over $3k for those shops that say they replace much more than just the TB/WP).

View attachment 106848

I'm going to add this thread to my list links (started recently in a new thread) for NSX shoppers to use as "real life &/or current" references and bedtime stories to complement the wiki during their hunt. Good, up to date costs spent on maintenance so they can piece together the big picture of their pending purchase... Thx for starting this.

Separately, I'd personally love to see total cost to own summaries or spreadsheets, if some of Yinz are going to share total maint/repair costs. I thought I was being really smart and tricky by buying a 9 year old 300zx in 2000 for $10k, expecting to have a low cost of ownership experience. 27 months later after numerous repairs, the dang thing cost me around $330-350/month anyway even after selling it...

So far my 2002 accord has cost around $275 monthly for the buy, repairs, and maintenance since Oct 2002 and I'd estimate it's worth just a few grand now...

Last edited:
My 91 NSX has cost me over the 22 years I've had it as follows:

Insurance $.18 per mile
Gas $.21 per mile
Maintenance $.39 per mile. Includes tires etc. I can break this out in more detail if anyone is interested
Depreciation $.44 per mile
Total $1.22 per mile
Average monthly cost $292.67 excluding depreciation
Av mpg 22.4
Av miles per year 4547

Last edited:
Hey heyskippy, how are you getting TB/WP so cheap? All quotes I got were like $2200+ (even over $3k for those shops that say they replace much more than just the TB/WP).

Dunno, that's just what I was charged. First time in 2005 was at the Acura dealer and last year it was done by "my guy" and was even a bit cheaper.

With the difference in prices you've been quoted, you could almost finance a trip to Florida and have it done here. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Av mpg 22.4

That's remarkably close to mine (22.7). I only started tracking my mileage in 2008, so I'm missing the first 3 years. Let's see if I can get lucky with another attachment.

Attachments

• Fuel Costs.pdf
    211.8 KB · Views: 10

Remember to make sure you know exactly what parts are being changed if you compare prices;). All TB/WP services are NOT alike;).

Regards,
LarryB

View attachment 106848

Nice, my sheet format is close to yours in my log book with receipts from purchased mods/labor/man hours/materials, except its probably 27 pages deeper =( and 376 receipts later.

I just have a c30a in rebuilding and sofar its had over $2500 worth or new oem parts, all seals, gaskets, O-rings etc and wp/tb + heaps of other stuff.... over $10k on the heads and cams. itbs and manifolds still to be fabricated but they are no massive cost

Back