• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kinetic Custom Machine Battery Tray and Shorai Lithium Iron Battery Package

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are transitioning from our original group buy, and this will now be the general info and discussion thread for our CNC machined tray and Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 lithium iron battery package.

You can now purchase the package directly off of our website: www.lighterisbetter.com

Also, use the coupon code PRIMEPRICE for $40 off, which brings it down to the group buy pricing.

*For international orders, please contact me directly, as I can get significant discounts if I call FedEx myself. As a rough estimate, it's about $115 out to Austria, and $75 out to New Zealand!*

We currently have a few batteries in stock and a good amount of both NA1 and NA2 trays. They are now available only in the black anodized finish.

Thanks for all of your support!

NA2
10707620494_6663e01769_b.jpg

9452874185_d64aac7afa_b.jpg

NA1
10707810593_b8d3c91cd9_b.jpg

9455654190_2da861cab0_b.jpg

10707638916_aabf6fd6a0_b.jpg

10707809443_36458c16a7_b.jpg

• Direct bolt on, no modification necessary.
  • CNC machined 6061 aluminum.
  • 7 pound installed weight.
  • Up to 40 pound weight reduction (over 1% of the car's weight!)
  • 540 CCAs will start up supercharged cars.
  • Can go up to 14 days without starting.
  • Lithium iron battery technology is extremely safe.
  • Terminals included.
  • Machined by us in California.
  • Drop tested at ~22mph with no signs of fatigue.

If you're a person that knows that lighter is better when it comes to cars, our battery package is perfect for you. You understand that reducing a car's weight improves all aspects of a car's performance. By reducing the weight in your car, it's like upgrading your engine, brakes, and suspension all at the same time because your car's acceleration, braking, and cornering are all improved from weight reduction. With this simple modification, you will immediately notice sharper steering response and improved turn in.

We've designed this battery tray specifically to bolt into your NA1 NSX without modifying your car. We package our trays with a Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 lithium iron battery which packs enough juice to start up even supercharged cars while maintaining an installed weight of only 7 pounds! The OEM spec battery weighs around 47 pounds, which means you'd be dropping up to 40 pounds, or over 1% of the car's weight.

We've seen cars sit for as long as 14 days and have them start up with no problems. We do recommend using a charger if your car sits for longer than 7 days at a time. We only recommend using the Shorai charger.

Lithium iron technology is extremely safe and does not exhibit the flammable properties that lithium ion batteries have.

All hardware and terminals are included for an easy bolt on install!

Estimated install time: 30 minutes

Drop test:

Last edited:
I bought the battery package w/charger and couldn't be happier. Outstanding product and seller!

Colin hand delivered this to me at a local drive in a properly packaged box. :wink: All the hardware and the brackets look 6-Sigma Made in USA . I put my in the fridge as my 5yr old Dali Special Odyssey PC680 is still alive. This setup is another 50% lighter than the "already light" PC 680. Until I take it out of hibernation, I shall write a review.

It's ridiculous how much lighter this setup is compared to an OEM battery. The quality of the mounting bracket is superb. Do not be deterred by the small size of the battery; starts the car easily without a hiccup, even after it's been sitting for a couple days.

Not under Colin's control: The Shorai charging cable is a tad short, and not the same connector as other battery tenders. To achieve a hard wired solution, I'll have to manually extend the cable.

Great product, great service. Couldn't ask for anything more.

My suggestion is that the charger almost be considered a "mandatory" purchase with the battery. Life happens, and it's a small battery.

Nice piece of kit. Solid vendor: great purchasing experience. Definitely worth considering if in the market for a lightweight battery replacement.

Between the battery swap and spare tire removal, I dropped 60 pounds off the front. Woohoo! The battery looks so much better than the old lead/acid battery. Now I want him to fab one for my 87 Buick Grand National.

I finally got around to replacing my battery (which was barely holding a charge) with this new Shorai package. I have to admit I was extremely impressed with the fit and finish.

There weren't any provided directions in the package but the threads on Prime made everything very clear. The worst part of the install was lifting the old battery out :) For reference, I have an 02 and did have to jack up my car. I also had a couple of extra bolts left over at the end?

Once everything was installed, the car fired right up and it got a nice test as I took it to Laguna the next day. The weight savings was immediately appreciated and the car fired up quickly every time.

I can't speak for longevity or holding a charge since I just installed on Saturday and generally leave my car on a trickle charger, but I'm very happy with the purchase!

Thanks for the great input everyone, it's greatly appreciated!

I also had a couple of extra bolts left over at the end?

Were the bolts out of the terminal bag? Those are used to secure the battery cables to the terminals. Or, if you're talking about the small bolts in the small bag, those are the titanium license plate bolts!

Installed this battery a few weeks ago, and I think it is a nice mod. The weight savings of 30 lbs is quite noticeable and welcome. The installation was easy, but I did have to get two shorter bolts from the local hardware store. Now I have to adjust the headlights (getting flashed) because of this weight savings along with 15 lbs from the gen 2 abs system.:biggrin:

sounds great! wish I could lose weight so easily!

are there any precautions that us northerners need to be concerned about?

Installed this battery a few weeks ago, and I think it is a nice mod. The weight savings of 30 lbs is quite noticeable and welcome. The installation was easy, but I did have to get two shorter bolts from the local hardware store. Now I have to adjust the headlights (getting flashed) because of this weight savings along with 15 lbs from the gen 2 abs system.:biggrin:

Dang, yeah, I realized that the new standoff bolts are a little too long for the NA1 version. It's not so bad for the NA2 version, but the NA1 is a little bit thinner in that area, so the bolts are longer and can interfere with the standoffs. I was able to successfully just let the bolts dig into the wall of the standoff.

sounds great! wish I could lose weight so easily!

are there any precautions that us northerners need to be concerned about?

The batteries have a harder time performing in extreme cold temperatures. Unfortunately I am not entirely sure at what temperatures it gets harder to crank. I did do a dry ice test, I did it twice actually, first I had it in dry ice for a few hours, and the temperature was about 0 degrees f, and it had no problems starting at all, which is why I eventually left it there for a long time. I put it back and came back later in the evening, I put it in there for way too long and the temperature was -25 degrees f, and the car was having major difficulties cranking. I was dumb though because I started the test before I needed to pick my friend up from the airport, so I never got a conclusive temperature at which it was ok to easily start the car.

That being said, I did do the startup procedure of turning on my lights for a few minutes before cranking the car, and it slowly got better as the battery warmed up. One great thing about Lithium Iron battery technology is, each successive crank gets stronger, whereas with lead acid, it gets weaker the more you crank.

I'll be in close contact with my customers though, as I want data as to how the batteries perform in the colder areas.

I purchased and recieved this package from Colin during August. Install was easy and the custom brackets were top notch quality.

Car starts up everytime for me and I've been using my car as a daily almost everyday now. It's starting to get colder these past couple of nights and I've done high 20's degrees cold starts. The car starts up just fine with no hesitation or anything like that. Amazed as to how much weight you can remove with this mod. Best money spent on a weight reduction mod so far. I definitely recommend anyone that wants to purchase this to go for it.

since it's a lithium battery. Can you use the Battery Tender Plus to charge this battery or do you need to use the shorai charger specifically?

Awesome battery and charger. Colin is a stand-up man and is very professional. Absolutely had no problems whatsoever with this top-notch set-up. A must-have (I saved a good 40lbs instantly!)

hi phryxis,

hi I went on your site to buy the na1 battery tray, but the coupon PRIMEPRICE for $20 off doesn't work. I am buying the battery tray now because my current battery is still good and when I need to replace that, then I can later get the shorai battery from you. please let me know.

hi phryxis,

hi I went on your site to buy the na1 battery tray, but the coupon PRIMEPRICE for $20 off doesn't work. I am buying the battery tray now because my current battery is still good and when I need to replace that, then I can later get the shorai battery from you. please let me know.

The coupon code won't work with just the tray, the price won't expire, so just purchase the package when you need to replace your battery!

The NA2 Shorai package obviously has different mounting points with the screws attaching it to the car's battery tray being hidden under the battery itself and without the NA1's "legs" off to each side. I have an NA1. I haven't seen an NA2 battery tray, so I can't compare them side by side, but if one wanted to use a NA2 Shorai package from you, could they just drill two holes in their NA1 car's factory battery tray in the appropriate spots to mount your NA2 system? I ask because I like the NA2 system better because it is more compact and looks cleaner.

Last edited:
The NA2 Shorai package obviously has different mounting points with the screws attaching it to the car's battery tray being hidden under the battery itself and without the NA1's "legs" off to each side. I have an NA1. I haven't seen an NA2 battery tray, so I can't compare them side by side, but if one wanted to use a NA2 Shorai package from you, could they just drill two holes in their NA1 car's factory battery tray in the appropriate spots to mount your NA2 system? I ask because I like the NA2 system better because it is more compact and looks cleaner.

Yes, that's certainly a definite possibility. Better yet, we just took a bunch of the FRS/BRZ trays to the anodizer, and those would be even better suited for a "universal fit" option and are the same basic design as the NA2, just with differing mounting holes.

Just wanted to shout out again about the GREAT customer service Colin and his company has provided on this product. They didn't have to do the 22 mph drop test but they did. Most companies wouldn't have even bothered to do it.

Thanks again and look forward to more great products from him in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back