• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RYU's "properly molested" NSX build thread

looks good Regan!
Thanks Tuan! Your build is an inspiration for many of us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got my brake pads back from Porterfield. I asked them to shave off 2mm from each pad which is actually a lot but I just wanted to be sure. I could probably get by with 1mm shaved. They also said it's fine to put them on a belt sander to save some off. I decided not to do this because I was worried about getting a perfectly flat plane which could likely lengthen my bed-in time; Extra time I don't have!

Hope my car doesn't explode this wknd at BW!

Had a GREAT time at Buttonwillow with illwillem, phryxis, and Moderu this wknd. I only got a mere fractions of a second improvement over my last PB but the car definitely feels more stable. My problem now is committing and keeping that gas pedal down and trusting the car. I'm lifting off in major sections.

I spent most of the day practicing Cotton Corner and I think I gained some time there from last time. I feel like i'm lifting a lot thru Bus Stop because that turn scares me. I'm also lifting thru Riverside and braking too hard for Lost Hill. I think I'm getting better in the Sweeper but still braking too hard for Sunset and not rev matching well there. It's a tough corner for me. I'm much more confident out of the U-turn and totally know what everyone is saying about how a OSG LSD can improve time there. My inner rear tire spins like crazy coming out of that turn - but it's one of my funnest exits.

PB 2:09.xx

Here's a short video of Will playing lead-follow for me. Thanks Will! and thanks Colin for the vid and pic!
http://distilleryvesper7-19.ak.instagram.com/2547e7008b9011e3b0391231e80ea787_101.mp4

This is also a nice view of the DF wider fenders.
12284845254_8e88415ee2_b.jpg

I'm running 11k/11k spring rates now and it's just too stiff for the street for me. The dampers are handling them fine but i'm not sure I want to sacrifice the cush street ride for the incremental track stability. I'm going to try 9k/9k and see how that goes...

- - - Updated - - -

BTW.. no cooling issues with the radiator even with the stock non-vented hood. However, it was maybe only high 60s ambient out there. My IATs were too cold. It dipped into 36C and my car was very rich. I think I need to step up to an F-Con Vpro.

OSG Twin Disc clutch and Toda Oil Pump Gear arrived from Japan last week. Much thanks to my good friend who was able to bring these in from Japan.

1796633_10152011314636588_978728362_n.jpg

Also, thanks to Moderu for connecting me with someone selling a Recaro PP at a good price. For many years I avoided a racing bucket seat but I finally broke down to try it. After a long day at the track my thighs get sore from holding myself in.
CowXnwa_zpsvg9i5fjf.jpg

Youre going to sit pretty high with the side mount, I had to make my own to fit in the car with my helmet on. the PP is wider than the SPG HANS so im not sure if my drivers side method will work out. Were you able to fit in my passenger seat? if so I have another solution you can try. FYI its easier to mount the bracket to the floor then mount the seat to the bracket.

Last edited:
Looking great as always! Did those DF fenders allow you to run a wider front tire?

btw - if you have to take your exhaust off for the oil pump install. Can you take detailed pictures for me :D

After my 2nd dyno session we noticed fuel pressure was dropping off at the higher RPM. The crappy Walbro 255 fuel pump was to blame. I upgraded to the Denso fuel pump. Commonly called the "Supra" pump since it was OEM on a Supra. This thing works great but make sure you double up on your wiring. This pump will draw more power. It's also considerably bigger than the Walbro. If you want my advice, don't ever buy a Walbro...why? removing the fuel tank is one of the biggest PITA things to do on the NSX especially if you don't have a hoist :rolleyes:
4262013212412_zps9704f0b1.jpg

I really wish more people would realize what a POS the Walbro pump can be...

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know how one goes about shaving brake pads? I don't think I can just put it on a belt sander...

Yes, I have had to do it before and used a mill to do it evenly. Good news is most friction material cuts pretty fast.

I haven't opened up the packaging yet. Hope to do that this wknd. Looking at Toda's site the metal appears to be different between the two gears. I also know that the gears are machined to extremely close tolerances (which is I why I also spent the extra $ with Toda). I'm hoping WPC will only improve and not sacrifice any of the strength Toda has already treated into this part. Obviously, my lack of knowledge shows here...

c30oilpump_760_large.jpg

Looking great as always! Did those DF fenders allow you to run a wider front tire?

btw - if you have to take your exhaust off for the oil pump install. Can you take detailed pictures for me :D
It appears I can fit a 245 in there. Will I? I'm not sure. I have a long way to go with the 235s. I primarily chose the DF fenders because it just allows for more wheel/tire options at the end of the day. With a BBK in the front I have to run spacers on some wheels. I don't have any plans to run anything wider than the 235s but there definitely seems to be a lot more room (If you take out the fender liner and grind down one of the tabs).

When time permits I promised a friend locally that i'd help him build another valvetronic exhaust system. I have some ideas on how to make it sound even better while still maintaining free flow and possibly encourage scavenging.
I really wish more people would realize what a POS the Walbro pump can be...

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I have had to do it before and used a mill to do it evenly. Good news is most friction material cuts pretty fast.
Some say there are fake Walbros that have caused them to have the bad name. Well, I bought mine from SOS and it still failed.

As it turns out, Porterfield pulled a fast one on my brother. I don't believe they took off any material at all when my brother took the pads into the Orange County office to grind down. I had to use my stationary wheel grinder to shave down the pads the night before track day. There's nothing like pre-track day prep! There was dust EVERYWHERE. Also, the inconsistent grind job I did made for an interesting bed-in process during the first few sessions in the morning. I was annoyed but didn't want it to ruin my track day.

Great Build thread!

You're running 2:09s with street tires, so I'm sure you would surpass your 2:05 goal with R comps. :biggrin:
Thanks! I'm at a point where I feel totally unworthy of all the parts I have on the car. I've become that typical douchebag with all the cool parts but still slower than a Yugo. haha. I'll try to see how far I can get with NT-05s. It's nice having NT-05s, Star Specs, or AD08s because I can just start the car and go. No need to swap tires for any given trip to the track or to the grocery store.

On that note, here are some pics per Billy's request.

The Toda Oil Pump gear appears to be made of the same metal. I can't tell any difference between the outer ring gear and the inner gear.
IMG_20140223_091304_zpsn9raypzz.jpg

IMG_20140223_091351_zpsmdugvbay.jpg

This is my old OEM clutch weighing in at ~37lbs. +/- a few bolts here and there and used clutch discs
IMG_20140223_095108_zpsicef5tds.jpg

The OS Giken STR2C weighs 26lbs. That's a 11lb savings and hopefully that's centered toward the middle with less rotating moment of inertia.
IMG_20140223_094419_zpskfu6t17u.jpg

OSG clutches have this unique reversing movement. It basically converts a push fork into a pull (I could have this backwards) and every other car i've driven with this assembly allows for a super strong clutch with a soft pedal feel. The hydraulic feels pretty good too on other cars i've tried. We'll see if I can ever figure out these instructions. Oh, the joys of buying parts straight from Japan...
IMG_20140223_093218_zps9ig32tu0.jpg

IMG_20140223_093953_zpshzlscviv.jpg

Great thread! I'm wondering if the low boost CTSC will have a high intake air issue also? Also that exhaust system is amazing!!
Did you mean high intake air temp? I'm actually on the "low boost" 7psi pulley. Though with my setup i'm running consistently at 7.5psi (another thread on this later for anyone interested). Yes, you will have high IAT issues even with the 6-7psi setup. For a street car I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you plan to track your car consistently then I'd recommend you read post #87 here. Ask any questions if you have any.

- - - Updated - - -

In the constant fight against summer heat I decided to ceramic coat my headers. What you see here are Kuni's GT-One equal length headers and my Comptech headers in the back.
IMG_20140223_204035_zpsczx7bytv.jpg

btw.. this is what happened to my VViS vacuum reservoir at Streets of Willow last July. I've replaced it with a new one wrapped in gold foil.
1235276_10151684470476588_1779857566_n.jpg

Yes I was referring to high intake air temps. I did see that you added the water/meth injection, I've thought about using that as well. But if adding this don't you need to tune it? I've been studying the install directions for the CTSC before it gets here, and it refers to a piggy back for my 91-94 coupe. Is that piggyback able to be tuned? I wasn't really wanting to get into a new style engine management at this point on a solid kit to begin with. Maybe later on, that HKS setup you have sounds really nice. Where do you get that gold foil at? I think while I'm getting the supercharger installed I might try to do my oil pan, and from looking at that vacuum part I'm guessing I need to wrap that too.
I haven't done a track event yet, but plan to try one out here and there. After being at VIR for the NSXPO I wished I had done the track event also. It seemed like it would be a blast. I have a automatic NSX so I'm not sure how I will do on track but I want to atleast try it.

The car is down for a while. Headers are getting ceramic coated at Embee. I'm doing the inside and out per their recommendation. I also have the tranny out now with the help from Robert and will install the OSG twin disc clutch this weekend hopefully. Also to go in finally will be my JDM transmission. It was a tough decision but I decided against the Type R spec trans.

Also decided to spend some time last night changing out the 20yr old partially rusted rear wheel studs. What looks easy ended up being a lot more involved. The entire hub and axle had to come apart to do it properly. Sigh... I'm glad it's all done now. Added piece of mind is priceless.

1780750_10152038290496588_2085010742_n.jpg

BrianB - Those questions aren't so quickly answered here but was discussed in the link I provided earlier. You'll need to readup there and i'll try to answer specific questions on that thread. I'm not using meth. Just water. In regards to the gold foil, it was given to me by the guys at RS*R. There are several places online that sell it but don't buy the cheap stuff. They crumble and become impossible to remove. I believe the one i'm using is something like $40 a square yard? Or was it per sqft? I don't recall.

Had a GREAT time at Buttonwillow with illwillem, phryxis, and Moderu this wknd. I only got a mere fractions of a second improvement over my last PB but the car definitely feels more stable. My problem now is committing and keeping that gas pedal down and trusting the car. I'm lifting off in major sections.

I spent most of the day practicing Cotton Corner and I think I gained some time there from last time. I feel like i'm lifting a lot thru Bus Stop because that turn scares me. I'm also lifting thru Riverside and braking too hard for Lost Hill. I think I'm getting better in the Sweeper but still braking too hard for Sunset and not rev matching well there. It's a tough corner for me. I'm much more confident out of the U-turn and totally know what everyone is saying about how a OSG LSD can improve time there. My inner rear tire spins like crazy coming out of that turn - but it's one of my funnest exits.

PB 2:09.xx

Here's a short video of Will playing lead-follow for me. Thanks Will! and thanks Colin for the vid and pic!
http://distilleryvesper7-19.ak.instagram.com/2547e7008b9011e3b0391231e80ea787_101.mp4

This is also a nice view of the DF wider fenders.
12284845254_8e88415ee2_b.jpg

I'm running 11k/11k spring rates now and it's just too stiff for the street for me. The dampers are handling them fine but i'm not sure I want to sacrifice the cush street ride for the incremental track stability. I'm going to try 9k/9k and see how that goes...

- - - Updated - - -

BTW.. no cooling issues with the radiator even with the stock non-vented hood. However, it was maybe only high 60s ambient out there. My IATs were too cold. It dipped into 36C and my car was very rich. I think I need to step up to an F-Con Vpro.

I'm stealing this photo and posting it to instagram...lol

So my car is going thru an unplanned overhaul of sorts right now. Its the typical...why not do it while you're in there situation. Double sigh...I decided to send my DG5s to Feals Suspension here locally for a rebuild. I also asked them to mildly revalve the rears to support a softer spring. My friends gave them generally good reviews but more importantly they're the only guys I could find who have the parts and know-how to rebuild the DG5. I'm crossing my fingers they don't screw this up. I really love these coilovers.

- - - Updated - - -

If they mess these up a factory DG5 rebuild from Japan will cost $300 each damper plus shipping.

Last edited:
Back