• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lovefab Scavenge

I'm a fan of Cody and his work but we disagree on the subject of scavenging. I suppose you can have worse disagreements between friends but I never liked the fact that my car smoked under acceleration and when the car came to rest then accelerated after spirited highway driving. Due to the plumbing of the oil return, the Precision turbo just wouldn't gravity drain sufficiently to keep up with the pressurized oil coming to the bearings.
Cody wanted to redo the set-up using a Garrett turbo which he has had better luck with not smoking. That would require a trip to Traverse or to Source One as well as a retune, as well as a cash influx of 5K-ish. But to me the issue is physics more than everything and rather than switching everything around to try to cheat physics (for a while) I decided to scavenge after seeing some of Oki-Boy's build pics. I enlisted my friend Scott at Armstrong Automotive in Fairfield Ohio since he is a factory trained NSX tech and a little closer to me than Source One. I'm truly lucky to have both these NSX assets in the area where a lot of NSX owners don't even have one.

First, how could this really drain? Starting heading uphill right out of the turbo and essentially routed level to the pan:

attachment.php

So to scavenge I purchased a reservoir from SOS and a TurboWerx ExoPump Mini. The first order was to hang the pump but the reservoir bracket would mount where intended due to the exhaust so we fashioned a bracket:

attachment.php

Then bend a muffler mount that prohibited from getting the reservoir as high as we would have liked:

attachment.php

Affix the bracket to the reservoir:
attachment.php

And hang it behind the brace:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Further up on the same brace we fashioned a bracket for the pump:

attachment.php

attachment.php

And re-hang it:

attachment.php

Then it was all about the plumbing with some fittings from Total Performance Racing in Fairfield:

attachment.php

attachment.php

And to wire it with its own relay. That's it, no more smoke! Well, that kind of smoke anyway...

Gravity drain FTW!! Here is the AMW kit we are having built now, running a properly designed twin scroll GT4088, full header design for gravity drain.
GetAttachment11.jpg
GetAttachment2.jpg
We also happen to be the North America an distributor for AMW :) The AMW Turbo kit for our SV28 widebody NSX will be here in about 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Excellent setup. I have a very similar setup on my custom turbo kit. Small reservoir to ensure the oil immediately exits the turbocharger, and then a turbowerx exapump(Didn't have the mini at the time). I plumbed my pump to the rear valve cover. Didn't have to remove the oil pan. I've never had any smoking issues so far with 10k+ miles on the turbo setup.

I could not stand that smoke.
I would smoke some1 in a race and then smoke them aain sitting still at the stop light.
Somewhat embarrasing.:disturbed:

I could not stand that smoke.
I would smoke some1 in a race and then smoke them again sitting still at the stop light.
Somewhat embarrasing.:disturbed:
Exactly!!!
I had a guy pull up next to me and say "why does it smoke". My reply was "Because it's a turbo", but really what kind of response is that? My SVO has one turbo and does not smoke, my Cayenne has two turbos and it doesn't smoke let alone smoke twice as much. Effective scavenging makes the awesome awesomer.

My LoveFab has the same issue. How much did all of this cost you? I could use the same set up.

And I had no idea that there is someone in Fairfield (of all places!) that can work on the NSX.

My LoveFab has the same issue. How much did all of this cost you? I could use the same set up.

And I had no idea that there is someone in Fairfield (of all places!) that can work on the NSX.

Hey Juice, I hope that things have been well and that you are getting sorted!

Pump = $399 There's a large like Oki-Boy used and now mini that I used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TurboWerx-E...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2331c4163f&vxp=mtr

Reservoir = $299 at SOS:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/turbo_oil_reservoir/

Fittings and hose = $140

Wiring and relay = $50

Labor depends on who does it. Probably took us 8 hours but that included much R&D (if you will). If you follow the recipe I would imagine you could DIY for much less and faster.

None of it is any lower / closer to the ground than the bottom of the charge tube.

So what are the consequences if the pump fails? One of the reasons I went with LoveFab is the lack of an oil pump. Now it looks like I'm going to need one anyhow.

As for the car - it's still F'd. I'm just planning ahead.

Nice work

Thanks. The car looks great with your radiator cover too! I might have to add one of your great looking and effective combo tanks at the opposite end.

So what are the consequences if the pump fails? One of the reasons I went with LoveFab is the lack of an oil pump. Now it looks like I'm going to need one anyhow.

As for the car - it's still F'd. I'm just planning ahead.

If any scavenge pump fails it is a problem. It would kill the turbo seal as well as feed oil back into the intake side. This is a problem- obviously- which is why I chose the TurboWerx ExaPump (mini or regular).

The ExaPump is rebranded by Turbowerx and is the gold standard in pumps. The prime manufacturer of the pump is Mocal and it is a gear driven rather than diaphragm pump so it is less likely to fail. Sole difference in the TW and Mocal pumps is the TW has a 2 year warranty. Debris in the gears will cause failure but debris in the oil would present other issues elsewhere and at that point you probably have bigger issues. :frown:

The mini pump has removable/ replaceable brushes (2000 hr) for periodic maintenance if desired, weighs 4lbs and moves 2 GPH. The regular weighs 6lbs, moves 3 GPH and has 10,000 hr brushes. Both have 10,000 hr bearings. I'm going to install some sort of alarm to alert me if the pump stops pulling current but I haven't figured that out yet. The AEM S2 probably has a monitoring circuit somewhere but that might not be timely enough.

I wouldn't recommend using a pump without a (vented) reservoir otherwise it would/could suck the turbo cartridge into vacuum.

Hope this helps Eskimo brother! :wink:

Last edited:
Back