• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 Black NSX Michigan ReSpray

which one the one on the left the black one has another brake lamp at the bottom 3m to the lower valance which came from a 1993 accord I love the light.

the yellow one has factory lower valance.

Shawn I have a paint question for you... I called a paint shop in my area and asked about getting my hood and bumper and light covers resprayed (typical rock chipping).... he looked at it and said he wouldn't even take the body parts off. He said he would just paint them while on the car. Is that ok, or is that TOTALLY wrong? (this guy has a 40 year good reputation in our hometown for paint skills, but I was still a little concerned about it)

nope remove everything there are edges that he would paint over and that's a no no civic yes NSX no

More questions about repainting hood/bumper...

Do I purchase OEM paint to give to the body shop, or let them mix it on their own?

So I just tell the body guy to 1) Take the panels off and do it right... 2) sand the existing paint down to the primer (or not)?... 3) spray the paint coat (how many coats? bake after each coat, or bake after all paint coats fully applied?)... 4) finish with clear coat (how many)? Bake after clear coat too?

As you can see I know nothing about the paint process... I just don't want to choose a guy that isn't going to do it exactly the way you guys say it SHOULD be done.

they can mix the paint, take everything that's painted off, if you have a coupe then have them paint the top while everything is off, if you have a targa same thing take the targa roof apart and paint it, then re-assemble, now if they have never painted and NSX they will not put it back together correctly, I have seen the side vents where they used bolts instead of the special spin nut because they prob lost it during
the disassembly. then the next thing they are going to mess up is adjusting the trunk it will have gaps. then the front bumper will not line up with the hood because WHo knows that the only way to get it to line up correctly is to use a shut the hood like normal, then use a floorjack to press the bumper beam up till it meets the hood perfectly tighen 1 bolt then do the other side till it meets the hood perfectly then tighen 1 bolt.
then open the hood and let it drop down to close if it looks good then tighen the other 4 bolts as there are 3 each side. things a shop that has never done an NSX will not know.

the rear bumper will not line up with the rear quarters because they don't know that you leave the last bolt at the rear of the quarter loose then you line the rear bumper up till its mint then grab the backside of the long bolt and turn it manually till its tight do this on both side and your will always have a perfect fit where the rear bump meets the top of the rear quarter.

its something you learn after so many ya know.

but 100% fact is that there will be gaps and issues your not going to like from a body shop that has never done an NSX. if they say yes we have done an NSX...
all body shops take a pic of cool cars they do its the nature of being a car guy. they can show you some pics of AN NSX....... if they show you a Ferrari they did..... say I want to see and NSX pic not a F-car

they can mix the paint, take everything that's painted off, if you have a coupe then have them paint the top while everything is off, if you have a targa same thing take the targa roof apart and paint it, then re-assemble, now if they have never painted and NSX they will not put it back together correctly, I have seen the side vents where they used bolts instead of the special spin nut because they prob lost it during
the disassembly. then the next thing they are going to mess up is adjusting the trunk it will have gaps. then the front bumper will not line up with the hood because WHo knows that the only way to get it to line up correctly is to use a shut the hood like normal, then use a floorjack to press the bumper beam up till it meets the hood perfectly tighen 1 bolt then do the other side till it meets the hood perfectly then tighen 1 bolt.
then open the hood and let it drop down to close if it looks good then tighen the other 4 bolts as there are 3 each side. things a shop that has never done an NSX will not know.

the rear bumper will not line up with the rear quarters because they don't know that you leave the last bolt at the rear of the quarter loose then you line the rear bumper up till its mint then grab the backside of the long bolt and turn it manually till its tight do this on both side and your will always have a perfect fit where the rear bump meets the top of the rear quarter.

but 100% fact is that there will be gaps and issues your not going to like from a body shop that has never done an NSX. if they say yes we have done an NSX...
all body shops take a pic of cool cars they do its the nature of being a car guy. they can show you some pics of AN NSX....... if they show you a Ferrari they did..... say I want to see and NSX pic not a F-car

Shawn, good for others not in the know by OMG man, reading that gave me a headache LOL

You da man thanks!
So I can let them mix the paint (berlina black). Sand then primer then paint then clear?
(I'm just doing hood, bumper, light covers, 1 B pillar because it's burned... maybe the targa roof and maybe the trunk lid)

Back