• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake light fuse keeps blowing

Today I started the car, put in a new fuse pressed the brake pedal a few times. I noticed when I pressed the brakes the idle on the car would lower and the dome light would dim. Then I noticed that if I held the brakes down the fuse would blow.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

when this first happened I thought it might be a short in the horn wires since I have an aftermarket steering wheel and I know the horn and brake lights share the same fuse. I went through the wiring on the horn and found a couple wires that looked suspect so I re-wrapped them and put everything back together. Could there still be a short going on? If there was I think the fuse would blow immediately but Im unsure.

I'm open to suggestions.

TIA

- - - Updated - - -

a new update. The fuse doesn't blow when pressing the brakes unless the car is running.

- - - Updated - - -

further updates after more testing:

I disconnected power to both brake lights so they wouldnt turn on when touching the brakes but the fuse still blew

115 views and nobody has any ideas? Am i the first to ever have this problem? Well I still haven't been able to figure out whats going on. Open to any suggestions.

I suggest taking it to Jim at Cologne Auto in Belmont. I know it's a haul for you but he has helped both Alain and myself debug very mysterious wiring issues (which this sounds like)

Thanks for the suggestion Ben. I think I have narrowed it down to a problem in the wiring to the brake pedal switch. There seems to be a short there for some reason. I did have some wiring issues with the front marker lights which I am correcting now but once that its corrected if the problem still exists I will be out of possible solutions and will drive it over to Belmont.

- - - Updated - - -

front markers fixed..........brake problem still there.......called Jim left a message

well in case anyone ever has this problem I will post how I resolved it. The short was in the wiring to the 3rd brake light in the spoiler. The wires coming from the engine bay into the trunk where they are zip tied to the hinge had frayed and made contact and when shorted had melted together.

16 fuses later...............

Back