• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CA smog is out to get us

Another option...all you NSX owners can move into Mariposa County. We are smog exempt. I'm enjoying it up here in the boonies---deep into Redneck country.

We own property in Siskiyou County. After reading this thread over the last several months and with my car due soon for smog check. I went down to the DMV last week and filled out a "notice of change of address" form (DMV14) for the NSX.
It's registered out of our Siskiyou County address now . Not only did I get my sticker at my DMV visit it was 20 dollars less and I was able to setup our mailing address to our PO Box in the Bay Area.

Last edited:
Guys, this situation sucks. You all are trying your hardest with every little trick in the book to pass. I don't see why Cali changes their requiremnts every few years. Obviously a car made in 1992 can't be as clean as a 2012 Volvo or such. Since so many NSX cars are passing by the skin of their teeth, its only a year or two away from the state making the limits even harder to pass.

I didnt want to do this but Im going to tell you FL has no emission smog tests. :)

View attachment 114594
This table shows desired EGR valve lift versus rpm and load for a 91 NSX M/T

View attachment 114595
This table shows desired EGR valve lift for a 91 NSX A/T

The EGR is pulse width modulated by the ECU based on this duty control map. The value refers to the desired amount of physical lift of the valve which is self-calibrated for varying vacuum levels by the input of the EGR lift sensor. So the original poster was correct in assuming that M/T cars have a harder time passing smog than A/T cars for this reason alone.

Going by the tables, testing an M/T car in 2nd gear at 1500 RPM is almost a guarantee that it will fail. Assuming that the dyno is free wheeling (no load) the EGR valve is simply not commanded to lift by any significant amount - 5-16% isn't going to cut it. Maybe you can present your tester with this evidence to persuade him to test in 1st gear. Alternatively, you could adjust the parking brake to apply a slight load to the rear wheels during the test. As a last resort this table is relatively easy to modify.

-Matt

I may try this method next time.

We own property in Siskiyou County. After reading this thread over the last several months and with my car due soon for smog check. I went down to the DMV last week and filled out a "notice of change of address" form (DMV14) for the NSX.
It's registered out of our Siskiyou County address now . Not only did I get my sticker at my DMV visit it was 20 dollars less and I was able to setup our mailing address to our PO Box in the Bay Area.

Nice!

Folks, I've done research for years and HAVE NOT found any information where (after your OEM cat in the OEM location) you can't install another set of aftermarket cats. Of course there is limited space, so in practice you can have a custom modular cat back system made so that you replace the mufflers with another set of cats for testing and after testing you put the mufflers right back on.

Failing Smog on my NSX! Trying to get it registered in Cali for the first time. Anyone has any clue from the results? Seems like my NO PPM is failing at 15MPH and 25MPH. Also my HC seems a bit high on the 15 MPH test. Before I start dumping a lot of money into the car to fix it I thought I would check with the experts here.

I also tried to clean the "Air Intake Temperature sensor" but the screw was on so friken tight that I couldn't unscrew it.. so I thought there maybe other options for me to explore first.

Any tips is appreciated!!
2012_12_20_results.jpg

Mods on my 94 NSX
- CTSC 1.6
- CT Headers
- Aftermarket CARB leagal Cats (http://www.amazon.com/Dec-Catalytic...0172&sr=1-20&keywords=nsx+catalytic+converter)

Last edited:
Do it again, but this time get the headers and cats REALLY hot and don't let them cool off -- run the tests right away.

Do it again, but this time get the headers and cats REALLY hot and don't let them cool off -- run the tests right away.

Any tips to get it super hot? Just rev the engine outside the smog check place?

- - - Updated - - -

Clean Power from Winchester AUto Parts in San Jose.

2 bottles of that in a full tank.

Drive car at least half a tank
and while u still have some left u should retest.

OK cool, i read about that stuff just didn't know where to buy it. I will check it out that as a possible solution too. Thx

Just drive the car vigorously for 10 miles... use some revs. Get it HOT. Then, don't let it idle for any time - that cools it off -- get it right into the work bay and get the test running ASAP.

FYI: Comptech SS headers cool off really fast, and some models have a short SS extension between the headers and the cats -- all make for a quicker cool-down of the cats than a stock system. Cats work best when hot... the hotter the better.

Last edited:
Jesus. I remember when that shit was $10/bottle for a liter a decade ago when he was trying to get the product out there.

Now that people are hearing stories and witnessing just how well it helps on passing smog (one of my truck, a 2002 Sonoma 4.3 with 150k miles read Near Zero Emissions that the dude had to retest since he thought I was mucking around with the emission devices - told me to stand outside of the shop so that he can see me).

Still failing..

Arghhhh Failed again even with Clean Power... :( Super ffrustrating

Does any one know a shop that can help me troubleshoot and fix the problem in Norcal? Or some more tips to fix this issue.

Here are the results of test #2 . The NO (PPM) is still super high, almost 2x Max. Also the HC (PPM) at 15MPH is failing too by a bit.
IMG_20150110_141020.jpg

Any tips are appreciated.

Are you running 2 bottles of clean power on a full tank and driving for at least half a tank before testing?

Clean power doesn't work with platinum plugs. Copper plugs are best.

Does any one know a shop that can help me troubleshoot and fix the problem in Norcal? Or some more tips to fix this issue.

Here are the results of test #2 . The NO (PPM) is still super high, almost 2x Max. Also the HC (PPM) at 15MPH is failing too by a bit.
View attachment 119713

I think your ERG passages are blocked. Take it to Shad at Driving Ambition. My 95 Honda Accord had high NO readings and Shad knew right away what the problem was. He cleaned it out and it passed.
Tom

View attachment 119713

I think your ERG passages are blocked. Take it to Shad at Driving Ambition. My 95 Honda Accord had high NO readings and Shad knew right away what the problem was. He cleaned it out and it passed.
Tom

How many miles were you on your NSX when your ERG was clogged? I am at around 55k miles so don't know if that is too early to have a failure. thanks man, this has been super frustrating.

Hey NSXers. Just moved to Northern Cal and tried to get my 98 smogged in the Pacifica area and 3 shops wouldn't touch it. Was told there is new regulations???? Wheres a good place to take it for my smog. Thanks for your help. I'll try calling Shad!! Strang

Oh geez... I'm so glad I've left California... Our county uses CARB standards, but they just do an OBDII test, and it's based on model year. 95 and earlier, they run it on the sniffer.

I'll take you up on some of that advice

I'm Theo a nsxprime member and also own a smog mechanic shop in Modesto CA. I can give honest advice and honest smog inspection. I will not do any illegal smog inspection so please don't ask but the least I can do for nsxprime memeber is give them the best advice I can.
Smog dynamics
830 Kansas ave c-3
Modesto ca 95351
209-529-1975

I've got a '96 NSX MT and just failed smog for the first time. I'm a little baffled since I've never had any problems before and I did some work a few months ago that got it running better than it's ever run. 2-3 months ago, I had a misfire condition in multiple cylinders. I drove it the minimum amount I could to diagnose it and make repairs. Long story short - I had two bad spark plugs (original NGK plugs with 51,000 miles). In the process of elimination, I bench cleaned the injectors, checked all the fuel pressures, replaced some sensors, etc. I replaced plugs with Denso 4702 Iridium Twin Tip (not the NGK or Denso OEM plug specified). Information I found said they were compatible and a premium plug for my car.
I've driven the car off and on for 3 months and put 900 miles on it trying to get all the Emissions readiness monitors to complete. The catalyst monitor still is not showing ready, but I know that having one monitor not ready for a 1996 car will not automatically fail your test so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm NOT showing any OBD II error codes. The car is running GREAT! Everything on the car is completely stock.

Here are my latest test results: Note: image at bottom
%CO2 %O2 | HC (PPM) | CO (%) | NO (PPM) |
Test RPM MEAS MEAS MAX AVE MEAS MAX Ave MEAS MAX AVE MEAS Result
15 mph 1632 14.2 0.1 54 9 106 0.50 0.03 0.32 430 67 496 FAIL
25 mph 2615 14.2 0.0 37 6 50 0.47 0.03 0.33 717 62 357 FAIL

I had it tested at a test only station in San Diego by a guy I trust that I've been using for 12 years. Thinking back on my test, I probably DIDN'T get the CAT's very hot before going for the test and I didn't keep the car running while I waited for about 20 minutes. Never had a problem before, so I didn't think I needed to...

Question 1 - Would these different plugs be a problem?

Question 2 - How likely is it that I burned out my CAT's when I was having misfire problem? I was careful not to drive it much, but I know there is always that risk. REALLY don't want to mess with new CAT's if I don't have to.

I read the forum and found the thread about cleaning IAT sensor, so I took it out and cleaned it today. It had a fair amount of crud on it.
Question 3 - Would this make enough difference by itself?

Question 4 - Would cleaning the EGR valve do me any good?

Question 5 - How much difference will testing with HOT CAT's make?

Question 6 - Anything else I'm not thinking of?

I'm going to drive it some more and make sure I put name-brand premium in it and perhaps some octane booster. I also downloaded some info on specific driving instructions for drive cycles to get all the emissions monitors to complete and plan to do that to try to get my CATALYST monitor to enter ready state.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 0809051726.jpg
    0809051726.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 137
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...d-this/page3?p=1608248&viewfull=1#post1608248

Based on your numbers trying running 2 bottles of that (It's not cheap at $25~/liter). It's made me pass the smog with flying colors. That and COPPER (not iridium or platinum) plugs. Copper has a larger spark. Iridium is good for FI applications and lasts the longest (past the platinum's 100k miles)

I've got a '96 NSX MT and just failed smog for the first time. I'm a little baffled since I've never had any problems before and I did some work a few months ago that got it running better than it's ever run. 2-3 months ago, I had a misfire condition in multiple cylinders. I drove it the minimum amount I could to diagnose it and make repairs. Long story short - I had two bad spark plugs (original NGK plugs with 51,000 miles). In the process of elimination, I bench cleaned the injectors, checked all the fuel pressures, replaced some sensors, etc. I replaced plugs with Denso 4702 Iridium Twin Tip (not the NGK or Denso OEM plug specified). Information I found said they were compatible and a premium plug for my car.
I've driven the car off and on for 3 months and put 900 miles on it trying to get all the Emissions readiness monitors to complete. The catalyst monitor still is not showing ready, but I know that having one monitor not ready for a 1996 car will not automatically fail your test so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm NOT showing any OBD II error codes. The car is running GREAT! Everything on the car is completely stock.

Here are my latest test results: Note: image at bottom
%CO2 %O2 | HC (PPM) | CO (%) | NO (PPM) |
Test RPM MEAS MEAS MAX AVE MEAS MAX Ave MEAS MAX AVE MEAS Result
15 mph 1632 14.2 0.1 54 9 106 0.50 0.03 0.32 430 67 496 FAIL
25 mph 2615 14.2 0.0 37 6 50 0.47 0.03 0.33 717 62 357 FAIL

I had it tested at a test only station in San Diego by a guy I trust that I've been using for 12 years. Thinking back on my test, I probably DIDN'T get the CAT's very hot before going for the test and I didn't keep the car running while I waited for about 20 minutes. Never had a problem before, so I didn't think I needed to...

Question 1 - Would these different plugs be a problem?

Question 2 - How likely is it that I burned out my CAT's when I was having misfire problem? I was careful not to drive it much, but I know there is always that risk. REALLY don't want to mess with new CAT's if I don't have to.

I read the forum and found the thread about cleaning IAT sensor, so I took it out and cleaned it today. It had a fair amount of crud on it.
Question 3 - Would this make enough difference by itself?

Question 4 - Would cleaning the EGR valve do me any good?

Question 5 - How much difference will testing with HOT CAT's make?

Question 6 - Anything else I'm not thinking of?

I'm going to drive it some more and make sure I put name-brand premium in it and perhaps some octane booster. I also downloaded some info on specific driving instructions for drive cycles to get all the emissions monitors to complete and plan to do that to try to get my CATALYST monitor to enter ready state.

Any help would be appreciated.

Back