• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bilstein vs. KWV3

Weird. Something must have been installed incorrectly or broken. How low were you?
Nothing broken or incorrectly installed. I was a quite high (conservative) ride level. On other forums there have been issues as well.

I think it has to do with temperature [ of the oil inside the shocks and ambient temp].
In the cooler months, for the first mile or two, mine are clunky. Then they go quiet.

Apologies for digging up the old thread, but I am curious what some of you might suggest for me regarding my decision between bilstein/springs vs kwv3. My car is running old and tired oem shocks and lowering springs, all of which need to be replaced. I also have sos swaybars and a 17x8-18x9.5 wheels with 215/40/17 and 265/35/18 star specs. She's a 70% cruiser, 25% aggressive coastal/canyon blitzer, and 5% track machine. The setup I have now is rather soft, and understeers more than I would like in slow corners. My fiancee's RX8 is much stiffer yet grips like a kart with its koni yellows and tein s springs on a 275/35/18 squared setup, and is LEAGUES ahead of the NSX (and other fancy fast cars) in slow to medium speed corners. However, this setup is a bit too stiff for average bumps/undulations on even decent roads and it can hop and loose traction. The lack of thorough adjustability is a problem for some roads, and it's on the verge of torture on the street, but it's amazing on anything smooth. This brings me to my current predicament: Should I go with bilstein HD's with (suggest spring here) or a kwv3? I am an above average driver who is comfortable pushing my car close to it's limits, so I'm concerned the Bilsteins may be a bit soft for me, unless the right springs could work. The kwv3's on the other hand are pricey and not easily as adjustable as I'd like, but I don't want to get stuck with the wrong setup (or possibly one I can't change). Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sounds like you could get the bilstein/springs and would be very happy with it. 5% track is not worth upgrading to kwv3 unless you can get them for the same price as the bilstein/spring setup. Your suspension setup sounds like it will be mostly set it and forget it. Save your money to spend else where.

Stuntman - I think I recall a thread where you recommended some KW V3 settings... can't seem to find it though.

I do about 60% street/ 40% aggressive canyons / 0% track

Currently in Arizona and moving to SoCal soon.. SoCal freeways kinda suck so its time to refresh the shock/spring setup

Going to be installing new set of KW V3s soon and any recommendations are most welcome.. thanks

I've experimented with A LOT of shocks/struts over 2 decades with various cars.

For budget but effective street and some mild track shocks/struts the following are my favorites:

1. Koni Yellow
2. Koni SRT
3. Edlebrock IAS

I have KW V3 on the NSX and it's great and the closest thing to Koni yellow in the budget minded category.

I had Ground Controls on my NSX before the KWs. The Koni dampers don't have much compression damping in them and only rebound is adjustable, which has a large range of adjustment (soft-stiff). IMO, at a lower ride height and heavier springs, the lack of compression damping in the Konis can lead to a harsher ride from bottoming out the shock, while the KW's are double adjustable (separate compression and rebound damping) and you can adjust the KW's compression damping to cushion impacts much better for a better ride, and also adjust them further for better handling.

Apologies for digging up the old thread, but I am curious what some of you might suggest for me regarding my decision between bilstein/springs vs kwv3. My car is running old and tired oem shocks and lowering springs, all of which need to be replaced. I also have sos swaybars and a 17x8-18x9.5 wheels with 215/40/17 and 265/35/18 star specs. She's a 70% cruiser, 25% aggressive coastal/canyon blitzer, and 5% track machine. The setup I have now is rather soft, and understeers more than I would like in slow corners. My fiancee's RX8 is much stiffer yet grips like a kart with its koni yellows and tein s springs on a 275/35/18 squared setup, and is LEAGUES ahead of the NSX (and other fancy fast cars) in slow to medium speed corners. However, this setup is a bit too stiff for average bumps/undulations on even decent roads and it can hop and loose traction. The lack of thorough adjustability is a problem for some roads, and it's on the verge of torture on the street, but it's amazing on anything smooth. This brings me to my current predicament: Should I go with bilstein HD's with (suggest spring here) or a kwv3? I am an above average driver who is comfortable pushing my car close to it's limits, so I'm concerned the Bilsteins may be a bit soft for me, unless the right springs could work. The kwv3's on the other hand are pricey and not easily as adjustable as I'd like, but I don't want to get stuck with the wrong setup (or possibly one I can't change). Thoughts?

The Bilstein/Stock Spring combo is a proven setup on the NSX. If you use the springs on the lower perch, you get a 7/8" drop. Many of our long-standing members and owners have driven and tracked this combo to great effect. That said, this setup is close to the stock feel in terms of softness. You indicated you have some driving skill and do push the car. Going stiffer on the Bils requires some extra work. They must be re-valved for the higher spring rates, as in stock form they are valved for the relatively soft OEM springs. For example, you could go with the OEM Zanardi setup (8kg/6kg), but that is only a 0.5" drop. The Tanabe GF-210 is another option that gets your CG lower (about 1.25") and is close to the Zanardi spring rates. Either one of these spring sets will require a re-valve from Bilstein or you will blow the shocks out. If you do the math:

Bilsteins = $500
Springs = $200
Revalve = $400 (100 per shock)

So the cost of a "hot" Bilstein setup is about $1,100. You can get a BC Racing coilover with Swift springs for about $1,200. This is my personal suspension and it has handled everything I've thrown at it- including some hard track days. The KW is a significant step up- about $2,800. Don't know if it makes sense for you given your stated goals.

Just my 2 cents.

KW V3 install question. If you bought new complete top hats from SOS would it make the install easier for the KW V3's? Can you go ahead and preset the height/settings before installing the coilovers? If course you might have to tweak things when corner balancing the car.

It really does not matter. Once you remove your factory springs, you would just remove the top hats, add them to the V3s, set the heights and settings and install. Having a separate set of top hats just takes away the stock top hat removal step.

NSXs are pretty well balanced cars. Setting the heights the same right to left got me within 0.05% on my cross weights.

It really does not matter. Once you remove your factory springs, you would just remove the top hats, add them to the V3s, set the heights and settings and install. Having a separate set of top hats just takes away the stock top hat removal step.

NSXs are pretty well balanced cars. Setting the heights the same right to left got me within 0.05% on my cross weights.
Thanks. Would you recommend replacing the top hat rubber bushings since you have the top hat apart?

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ..._Suspension/Variant_3/Variant_3_Upper_Mounts/

I assume the part to replace is items 6 in this diagram. Does item 9 get reused on the KWV3 install?

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...-engine/chassis-cat/front-shock-absorber-scat

Last edited:
Thanks. Would you recommend replacing the top hat rubber bushings since you have the top hat apart?

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ..._Suspension/Variant_3/Variant_3_Upper_Mounts/

I assume the part to replace is items 6 in this diagram. Does item 9 get reused on the KWV3 install?

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...-engine/chassis-cat/front-shock-absorber-scat

You need a pair of #6 for each, mine was 91 so these are were a thinner concave updated part to me. you reuse the #16 collars... my rubber bushings were partially liquified after 24 years. The #9 is not reused, KW's come with a thin rubber isolator that double-stick tapes into the hat, the upper purple plastic bushing locks into it.

I set mine to 1 click softer bump and rebound then the KW manual recommended setting front/rear, ride is firm but compliant, unlike the horrible comptech silver coilovers and koni combo the car came with.

You need a pair of #6 for each, mine was 91 so these are were a thinner concave updated part to me. you reuse the #16 collars... my rubber bushings were partially liquified after 24 years. The #9 is not reused, KW's come with a thin rubber isolator that double-stick tapes into the hat, the upper purple plastic bushing locks into it.

I set mine to 1 click softer bump and rebound then the KW manual recommended setting front/rear, ride is firm but compliant, unlike the horrible comptech silver coilovers and koni combo the car came with.
Thanks!

Someone makes Part #6 out of polyurethane. I forget who, but I would look into a set of those....
I was just trying to search for it as well. I thought I've seen it somewhere. Would be switching to lower perch on my Bilsteins and thinking about replacing rubber pieces.

Does anybody know who makes these? Thanks

I have a set for my V3s but my cars been in the shop for a while so I haven't put them on yet. I like poly a lot and I'd go with it over stock if you track your car. If its a daily it would be 50/50 this or stock, I'd probably still go with poly.

Back