• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Valentine One Custom Install

I've wanted to custom install the Valentine One in the car but I hated having it on the windshield. The cops always seem to be angry when they see it if you get pulled over, and I just don't like leaving it out in the open if I ever park the car somewhere.

I bought a stealth mirror from ANYTIME in the marketplace and finally got it all installed.

I didn't like other options of having the radar detector mounted between the rear seats out in the open, it just didn't look very nice in the interior with it protruding out between the seats.

I made a bracket out of 18ga stainless to hold the detector. I wanted to use aluminum, but I needed to tig weld on a hinge and couldn't find an aluminum one small enough. I used black Plasti Dip to spray the bracket when I was done welding the hinge on.

Here is a picture of the bracket installed. It is mounted over the targa top holder and is removable without any damage. I just used sticky back Velcro to hold the Valentine on to the bracket after it was Plasti Dipped.

nsx valentine 001 by v-tecpwr, on Flickr

nsx valentine 002 by v-tecpwr, on Flickr

I had to figure out a way to mount the bracket and keep it from sliding around. I followed the contours of the targa holder and this is where the hinge came in. I had to be able to make enough folds in the metal to go around the targa holder and be able to still remove the bracket when I wanted to. I didn't want to have to unbolt the targa holder to remove the bracket. I can slide the bracket thru the 2 parts of the clamshell when it is partially open. I then can fold the hinge up. I use sticky back Velcro on the targa holder and the bracket. I also put a piece of the soft side of the Velcro on the back side of the hinge in case the hinge ever fell with the targa in the clamshell so it wouldn't scratch it up. The only thing I didn't really like is how the rubber is smashed down on the clamshell holder now. I don't know if it will permanently bend it to that position, but it didn't rip it at all.

This is a picture looking thru the partition glass into the engine bay. You can see that it matches the bends of the targa holder so it can't move around.

nsx valentine 005 by v-tecpwr, on Flickr

This is a picture of the hinge when it is open with the Velcro installed on both pieces.

nsx valentine 003 by v-tecpwr, on Flickr

This is a picture of the hinge closed Velcro'd together with piece on the clamshell.

nsx valentine 004 by v-tecpwr, on Flickr

I ran the wires down the center console. Make sure you only use an 8 foot cord or shorter. I actually used a seven foot cord and it was just long enough. I had used a 15 foot cord and went thru the grommet on the passenger side but I couldn't get the thing to turn on. I thought it was a bad cord so I ordered another one and tore the interior apart again and it still didn't work.:mad: I called Valentine One and they told me to use the shorter cord, so I had to take it apart again. I ran the wire thru the grommet in the center of the car and then up to the detector.

I now needed to mount the remote volume control. I thought about putting it in the center console, but it is a pain to get in to and I didn't want to lose any more space in there. I ended up mounting it in the ash tray. I drilled a single hole in the back of it and running the wires thru. I also had to roto-zip down 2 of the fins inside of the ashtray on the bottom in order to get the ash tray to close. You can still hear the speaker in the ash tray when it is closed.

Here is a pic of it in the ash tray.

nsx valentine 006 by v-tecpwr, on Flickr

I ran the other wire to the fuse box in the drivers foot well and used one of the open spots in there so it only turns on with the ignition.

I then mounted the new mirror with the remote display behind the glass. (Thanks ANYTIME:biggrin:)

nsx valentine 010 by v-tecpwr, on Flickr

You can still see the radar detector a little bit when it is really light outside. I only have 20% tint on the back window, so it is not quite dark enough. If you don't know that it is a radar detector, you really can't tell. I might try to make a box that covers it but I guess I'll see this summer how noticeable it is.

Cool mounting spot, but.... isn't it going to get hot as hell in there?

I was thinking that too. It probably wont get any hotter than sitting in the front windshield all day in the sun. I plan on checking to see how hot it gets after a nice long drive.

Fair enough. This is about as stealth as it gets for us V1 people. Beltronics have an antenna you hide in the front bumper but they don't have any rear radar sensitivity at all...

I wish Valentine One would make modules that you could install in the front and back of the car. I'm sure it couldn't be that hard to do.

Nice work,

Thanks.

I drove around with it a few times and it works great. It doesn't slide around or move at all. It's pretty cold up here so it hasn't gotten very hot sitting over the clam shell.

I will need to make a cover for it as you can see it still thru the glass even though it is tinted. That shouldn't be to hard to do though.

Nice job, works if you have the rear cover in place!

We make a very stealth shroud for the V1 units, not sure if you have seen it. I assume you are referring to our V1 bracket but it's very hard to see between the seats unless you have the targa cover removed.

I have seen your cover and it looks really nice. I was thinking of the Dali bracket first as I saw one for sale in the parts section here. I'm just not a fan of the bracket coming out like that. It just doesn't look right to me. I'm not all the way happy with mine either. I need to make that cover or buy yours. I also may buy another V1 and tear it apart and see if I can move the sensors to the front and back of the car. That would make it perfect for me.

I also may buy another V1 and tear it apart and see if I can move the sensors to the front and back of the car. That would make it perfect for me.

They are likely tuned to be precisely as far apart as they currently are, and likely would not work if moved (not to mention signal loss over extended wiring...)

I would recommend you look into connecting the Beltronics STI-R bumper antenna to the AntiLaser Priority laser jamming system - they have it set up so that the ALP brain can function as a central command center for everything, you just have to buy the Bel antenna separately.

http://www.alpriorityusa.com/AL-Priority-Radar-Package.html

I would recommend you look into connecting the Beltronics STI-R bumper antenna to the AntiLaser Priority laser jamming system - they have it set up so that the ALP brain can function as a central command center for everything, you just have to buy the Bel antenna separately.

http://www.alpriorityusa.com/AL-Priority-Radar-Package.html

I'll definitely have to look into that. Thanks

We do NOT recommend taking the V1 main unit apart, so many risks I won't even get into it here.

There goes that idea. :(

OK, pardon my newbiness here, but I'm not getting the entire bracket thing. Why not just velcro the V1 onto the Tagra cover and wire it up? Easy peasy, no? I just bought a new V1 and got a Euro Boutique clock conversion so I'm quite interested in this topic. Look fwd to the replies, thanks in advance,

I never tried to do that. I don't know if the targa cover would actually have enough flock on it for Velcro to hold. Also, the targa cover angles down toward the back of the car a little so the detector would be pointing up too high. That probably could be fixed by doubling up the Velcro on the back side of it though. I've been using mine for a while now and the bracket and Velcro has held strong even with some hard cornering. I'd be worried about it holding if it was just Velcroed to the targa cover.

This thread and S4play thread inspired my to tweak this setup. I made the following changes to work with my Targa:

1. No need for bracket. Bought some 3M Velcro strips with the self sticking adhesive on back and put it directly on my targa cover. Then placed matching Velcro stips to bottom of Valentine 1 unit. To fix the incline issue with the slight incline, you just double the thickness of one end to make up the height difference. So easy I did it in like 5 min. Zero issues with Velcro holding during spirited driving. Also no issues with heat from engine bay or the sun.

2. Instead of placing volume control in ashtray, I placed the hidden display unit there instead. Fits exactly the same. You can also hear it with ashtray closed or flip it open to see your alerts.

3. For the Mirror, since I have my hidden display in ashtray, I went with a Rydeen Mirror with hidden screen which displays inputs from Front&Rear cameras. Reverse pops on when I reverse and goes back to full mirror mode when driving. If I want to see front camera just push the button to cycle to the other input to make sure you don't hit any curbs parking.

4. Still need to do this last part, but all this is hardwired to power right now. But I am doing the 4 JDM switches in the coin tray and will be putting the radar power to a switch to turn off/on as needed. (2 switches control my added heated seats already and I am not sure what to use the last button for...)

Pros:
1. Cheaper since you don't need any custom made brackets.
2. Quicker Install compared to bracket.
3. Rear radar detection only passes through 1 layer of glass instead of 2.
4. Never have to disconnect/remove radar when you have the top off for security purposes. Since its under the engine glass instead of between the seats all you have to do is lock the engine hatch release. Never worry about forgetting your radar out in the open again.

Cons:
1. Front radar detection now must pass through 2 layers of glass instead of 1. Also I noticed that a radar signal can bounce off mirror and into front detection zone giving you a false front reading. But I notice the signal is always weaker than rear reading so you can tell the difference. Also I would imagine this happens on the between the seats set up as well since they are at the same height to get over the targa cover anyways.
2. I suppose it is more visible to cops standing at driver side window since you can see it sitting in the engine bay, whereas if it is between the seats no way the cop can bend down far enough. Of course take the top off and the between the seats is more visible. However, I think this is pointless argument since you can see either placement from the rear. I would think placing the custom box cover over it would fix this.

Just my thoughts and thanks for the treads because this got me thinking on how to make this work for me.

What is the price on that custom radar cover? Radar still get full signal front and back? Thanks

Adios

This thread and S4play thread inspired my to tweak this setup. I made the following changes to work with my Targa:

1. No need for bracket. Bought some 3M Velcro strips with the self sticking adhesive on back and put it directly on my targa cover. Then placed matching Velcro stips to bottom of Valentine 1 unit. To fix the incline issue with the slight incline, you just double the thickness of one end to make up the height difference. So easy I did it in like 5 min. Zero issues with Velcro holding during spirited driving. Also no issues with heat from engine bay or the sun.

2. Instead of placing volume control in ashtray, I placed the hidden display unit there instead. Fits exactly the same. You can also hear it with ashtray closed or flip it open to see your alerts.

3. For the Mirror, since I have my hidden display in ashtray, I went with a Rydeen Mirror with hidden screen which displays inputs from Front&Rear cameras. Reverse pops on when I reverse and goes back to full mirror mode when driving. If I want to see front camera just push the button to cycle to the other input to make sure you don't hit any curbs parking.

4. Still need to do this last part, but all this is hardwired to power right now. But I am doing the 4 JDM switches in the coin tray and will be putting the radar power to a switch to turn off/on as needed. (2 switches control my added heated seats already and I am not sure what to use the last button for...)

Pros:
1. Cheaper since you don't need any custom made brackets.
2. Quicker Install compared to bracket.
3. Rear radar detection only passes through 1 layer of glass instead of 2.
4. Never have to disconnect/remove radar when you have the top off for security purposes. Since its under the engine glass instead of between the seats all you have to do is lock the engine hatch release. Never worry about forgetting your radar out in the open again.

Cons:
1. Front radar detection now must pass through 2 layers of glass instead of 1. Also I noticed that a radar signal can bounce off mirror and into front detection zone giving you a false front reading. But I notice the signal is always weaker than rear reading so you can tell the difference. Also I would imagine this happens on the between the seats set up as well since they are at the same height to get over the targa cover anyways.
2. I suppose it is more visible to cops standing at driver side window since you can see it sitting in the engine bay, whereas if it is between the seats no way the cop can bend down far enough. Of course take the top off and the between the seats is more visible. However, I think this is pointless argument since you can see either placement from the rear. I would think placing the custom box cover over it would fix this.

Just my thoughts and thanks for the treads because this got me thinking on how to make this work for me.

What is the price on that custom radar cover? Radar still get full signal front and back? Thanks

Adios

Sounds like the velcro is working good. Someone else had suggested that also, but i was worried about it moving. Looks like that's not a problem. I also don't have any problems with the heat and the sun. It's been on over a year with no problems.

That is a good idea with the display. I just wanted to have it in view on the mirror. That mirror you bought sounds nice also. I always wanted a front camera for parking also.

The switch sounds like a good idea also if I didn't have mine already mounted. I have the panel to do heated seats also, but I need to get the seat parts installed on the seats. Did you do it yourself, or take it somewhere to be done?

I still need to make the box cover for mine as it is very visible when it's sunny outside. It's nice not to have it on the front window if you were to be pulled over though. They might not see it if they didn't know what they were looking at through the back window.

I made the bracket myself so the only cost was buying the hinge and the plastidip. Your idea sounds way easier though. :)

I think some of the front signal is blocked, but I still get alerts in time to slow down. I really wish they would make remote sensors for the valentine one.

Here is the mirror I bought from Rydeen. You can source it on Amazon or Ebay and get their matching cameras as well for cheap.

http://www.rydeenmobile.com/mv431t/

Also when talked to customer service about their products I mentioned what car I was putting this into and they went on and on about how the owner of Rydeen has an NSX and uses it as their press vehicle with mirror/camera setup. Awesome.

As far as the heated seats you can source off Amazon for under $100 to cover both seats bottom and back. For install I took the seats to an upholstery shop and they put the heating elements into both seats for $150 (seat cushion & back cushion). Wasn't even worth me attempting at that price. Can't even tell they did anything, which if I tried who know how bad I would have made the leather look when putting it back on. But heated seats are so awesome for cruising with top off on cool nights or even on long road trips to loosen up your back. Plus the girl loves them and never complains about me taking the top off anymore.

Again good build. Let us know if you end up building a box.

That is awesome. I might have to buy this mirror for another car.

I've already looked at buying the heater panels for that price. If it only cost you that much to install, I'm just going to do the same thing. That is well worth the price.

I do need to build one, just need to get motivated now. I was just going to make a bracket with the ends left open on it. At least that will hide it up close.

Let me know if you want a box made. Just send me some measurements of what you want. You could just velcro the bracket to the targa cover also to cover yours.

Back