• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For your 3D printing pleasure :-)

Nice. You can get tons of models of things from grabCAD.

All you need is a 3D printer that has good resolution. Pretty sure any FDM machine won't work for this.

I have been wanting to get a 3d printer but I want one that can print metal. whats the best printer do you guys think I should get?

Going to try printing one now. We'll see how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

First pics of the printing. Just wish we had black ink.:frown:

Last edited:
Is mesh file is certainly softened for a toy car appearance and not much precision behind them in detail. I knew there was a catch to these files :wink:

I didn't want to tie up the company printer with a NSX model (I would be SO busted!) so I did a couple of quick Keyshot renderings using the Honda file. I changed the model color to approximate Spa Yellow so it kinda looks like the car has one of those stretchy-satiny SoS car covers on :biggrin:

9as2du.jpg

2yngv7n.jpg

Completed. Will clean up later and post more pics.

More pics before I clean it up.

Haha cool. Thanks for printing one and posting pics LMR. If you cleaned it up and painted it I bet it wouldn't look bad at all.

I have been wanting to get a 3d printer but I want one that can print metal. whats the best printer do you guys think I should get?

You need an SLS printer for that; it uses a laser to fuse metal powder together rather than the "glue gun" plastic extruder behaviour you see on FDM printers in this thread. If you guys want to do prints and don't have your own printer www.shapeways.com can do stuff for a reasonable price in a variety of materials. You'll probably get the cleanest models from SLA prints.

Printed on an Objet 30, which is Polyjet technology. Lots of detail that my phone can't capture. I'll print another one in black when I replace the material.

Last edited:
Back