• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom wifi backup camera to console mounted iPhone + Grom bluetooth audio

It's official. I've successfully installed a backup camera transmitted to the iPhone over wifi, with a floating console mounting solution and Grom streaming bluetooth audio + hands-free integrated into the stock stereo controls. If you want a backup camera traditionally you'll need to modify your console with a double DIN in-dash player. Mmmm Procar CF double-DIN console is perfect but I dare you to see how much it costs. Cut, sand, bondo the stock console could work but it would probably look ghetto if I did it. Get a nice in-dash unit and now the Bose HU is gone...have to upgrade the speakers, enclosures, amps...now I'm entering an SPL contest or something? But wait, I actually enjoy the stock stereo and don't want to hack the console in the first place. If I could find a way to integrate the iPhone into the dash I would harness the power of GPS, music, and calls. Here is my solution:

The iPhone is magnetically mounted and hovers over the console. It can be pivoted and swiveled in any orientation you desire. Select your music or accept a call with the OEM stereo controls.
20140203_215637.jpg

Launch an app and the rear view camera springs into action. The camera has rear view, bird's eye view, and split screen all controlled by a 5 way switch mounted in the ashtray.
20140203_215230.jpg

Close up of configurable guidance lines and LED lighting assistance.
20140203_215002.jpg

The integrated backup LEDs are extremely bright.
20140203_220433.jpg

Flipped to vertical
20140203_215611.jpg

What holds it on?
20140203_215801.jpg

When you are done simply remove the mount and stow it in the armrest. You are left with a 100% stock dash, no wires.
20140203_215818.jpg

Pictures and details of the install:

The cassette slot was a perfect place to start. It sits right in the center of the console and wasn't being used. I found a magnetic swiveling mount that could be modified and adapted to a cassette tape.
infiniapps.jpg

Honey, the dinner table is set! Making the cassette mount
IMG_1229.JPG

The finished modular mount. The magnet is very strong and has held up to hard canyon carving runs. There is an ultra slim magnetic square that is in the iPhone case that ensures a tight bond
20140203_221120.jpg

For the wifi setup I was able to find a unique wifi transmitter that would work. This is not one of those "wireless" video systems that transmits a video signal to your HU. It is a device that creates a secure wifi network that your phone connects to, and tunnels into the video feed by launching an app. After initial setup this happens automatically when you get in the car just like when you walk into your home and your phone connects to the network. Bench testing the device.
IMG_1233.JPG

But the camera supplied with the transmitter wouldn't do. I wanted a specific backup camera so it had to be a custom job. I had no idea if it would work, but I gave it a shot. The camera had to be slim and not eye catching, and I found just what I was looking for. Whoa, I didn't even know they made cameras with these features!

lens%2520distortion.jpg

waterproff.jpg

slim.jpg

acce.jpg

led.jpg

Even though the system is wifi I still had to run wires because the camera has its own control switch to toggle the options. I mounted the switch hidden in the ashtray, with no holes drilled or no permanent modifications.
IMG_1256.JPG

Running the cables was fun. Said no one, ever.
IMG_1248.JPG

Splicing the camera into the wifi unit. Note that usually cameras are wired to power, but this wifi device supplies the power to the camera and was made for a proprietary camera/harness. So things are a bit different and required some thinking.
IMG_1257.JPG

Hooking up the Grom with Bluetooth streaming audio and handsfree. The microphone is mounted where the seat belt comes out of the pillar and is almost invisible.
IMG_1263.JPG

Launch RFK Wifi from the home screen and video displays instantly.
photo.jpg

All wires tucked, no holes drilled. Streaming music, voice guided GPS, hands free calls, rear view camera with removable magnetic dash mount. Done.

Nice job! Looks like a good system.

1) how does the phone receive data (e.g. email) when connected to WiFi? I guess you would have to turn WiFi off?

2) links to the products (or names at least)?

Very nicely done. Would love to see a build list of parts needed and any more details to install. Congratulations.

Last edited:
I guess since my NSX is so low to the ground and I have yet to back up into anything in all my years of driving I guess I will not need back up camera ever. LOL .

if you get in your car start it, put in reverse, and hit the gas, by the time the rear input catches up your already going forward, then you have to turn the app off while driving forward and shifting, etc. almost as bad as texting and driving

great job wiring it all up, and doing something you thought was cool.

Shawn good point. I've wired it so the video is on when the radio is turned on, so it's not wired to a reverse switch for that reason. When I'm anticipating parking I just load it up and have it ready, no fiddling around. It's great for parallel parking in those tight spots especially since it's so low (can't be curbing our expensive JDM track wheels now!), but don't usually have a need for it backing out...although the wide angle lets you see cars that might be coming up since every driver here is on twitter and texting anyway. I enjoy taking the car out on the town and sometimes you have to parallel park in a tricky spot, so this third eye keeps me cool and confident that I have good curb clearance. Just have to make sure your female passenger is skinny so she can slip out of the narrow door opening.

Jwmelvin: On the iphone after a period of time it will detect the wifi network isn't a data network and will fail over to cellular data. You can also disable the wifi with one swipe now if you need to. I'll get a parts/product list together.

Found this....

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XhzAD_Dh6VA?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

- - - Updated - - -

I was also just looking at the 4ucam.com wifi unit. Can you give more details about splicing the BOYO to the 4ucam?

And for those that were asking, the 4ucam.com wifi works with both iPhone and Android.

Last edited:
I received my 4ucam.com camera today. I thought I would test before buying the BOYO camera to add. FYI if you are using a Samsung S3 you must disable "Mobile Data" for it to work with the wifi. Otherwise it will work for a second or two and you will get "Network disabled because internet connection too slow."

Hey guys I've been meaning to update the thread but haven't checked back here in this forum. There were a couple questions about wiring so here it goes.

I got the exact camera Captain posted above. The BOYO VTL425HDL -
http://visiontechamerica.com/site/portfolio/hdl/ it's the black one without the full frame, with the LEDs. It is very slim and you can't even see it standing next to the car because it's so low and blocked by the bumper. I actually mounted it over a slim CF plate frame so the camera bar blends in to the frame and finishes the look. Also did black allen cap screws instead of ugly plate bolts. I couldn't access behind the plate holes to secure it with nut and bolt so if you want more of a deterrent against wandering eyes, you can lock-tite it and use plugs on the cap screws so it doesn't "look" like a screw at all.

The transmitter is from 4ucam.com and the guys were very nice to work with there. I told him I was adapting my own camera and he suggested testing it with the included one to make sure it works, then I could send back the camera supplied to the kit they would refund that amount. Sweet!

Wiring: Usually you wire a backup cam to power, but in this case the 4ucam transmitter supplies the power to the camera. To power the 4ucam transmitter it is just a standard 12v power and gnd. You want it to be powered on in acc mode and when car is running (as opposed to powering it on with a reverse switch) so it's always running in the background and ready to go at any time. You could also power it with the radio on if you wanted to, but I wanted it to always be ready to go in any condition. It's working great that way.

Now to wire the cam to the transmitter you are simply hooking up pwr to pwr, gnd to gnd, and video to video(yellow). But since the 4ucam has a proprietary plug, you'll need to carefully snip the plug off and strip back the wires to have enough room to work with. The yellow video cable plug is actually a video cable with a braided ground around the outside, you'll need to separate the braided ground a few inches to expose the video cable. Then twist the loose strands back together and you'll be joining that to the same black ground. In other words the black to black connection will also include that twisted ground from the video cable. Simply Red to red, yellow to yellow, and black to blacks (which includes the twisted video ground). I recommend soldering and not using connectors because the wire gauge is too small for normal automotive connectors.

Here is a first grade looking diagram:
photo.JPG

Get the wifi connection setup and it will auto connect when you get in your car (takes about 10-15 seconds after you turn ign on to be ready to display). Have app ready to launch on your homescreen and it's fires up with one touch! You can also save your boyo preferences with the controller to default to a certain view and to save your parking line configs. Let me know if you need any more info, I'll be happy to help. This was a project I didn't know if it would work or not, but I am glad I did it. People's faces , including mine, light up when they see the image come up on the device, and it makes parallel parking with those baller wheels so much better when put on the spot! On the iphone you can disable the wifi in one swipe, but for you techies there are plug ins you can get for iphone/android that manage the data connection so it doesn't think you are hooked up to a internet enabled wifi network.

Last edited:
Great job, May consider doing this.

Haha, nice! I'll admit the cassette mount is a little weird, but it works perfect! In horizontal mode none of the controls are obstructed, then just pull it out and stow in the armrest when you are done.

NSX-files: If you use a couple strips of black foam weatherstripping from Home Depot on the sides/top of the cassette it will fit snugly into the slot and provide some shock absorption. This can be helpful because the actual loading mechanism is spring loaded and can cause movement without some foam buffer.

NSX-files: If you use a couple strips of black foam weatherstripping from Home Depot on the sides/top of the cassette it will fit snugly into the slot and provide some shock absorption. This can be helpful because the actual loading mechanism is spring loaded and can cause movement without some foam buffer.

Thanks for that tip! I've noticed that it does rattle a little bit so the foam should cure it. You can see the "stem" on mine is longer than your version with the result being the phone hovers a little bit higher above the console. I think I'm going to cut mine down some more like yours and epoxy it to another cassette so it will be a little closer to the console.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. Very nice work. I am working on something similar. I have an HD solution that also replaces the side view mirrors with cams.

Back