• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Full Restoration - Need help and advice

Hello fellow NSX owners, before I start a build thread, I would like to share the story of this NSX and acquire some tips and advice for bring this poor girl back to life. Long story short, I've been a Honda enthusiast for as long as I remember. Last week, my 06 GPW S2000 totaled and started looking for its replacement. Fortunately, I was able to find this NSX through a friend of mine for a very low price but at the cost of investing probably over $20k for it to be driven safely on the road at the very least. Other than its extremely high almost 300k mileage on the block, the car has been sitting outside under a tarp for over 6, 7 years. The interior is completed shot and has to be gutted out. I'm sure all rubber/silicone pieces, suspension bushings and bearings will have to be replaced in order to be driven safely. So I made a rough list of parts that need to be replaced or worked on with estimate cost next to each item. I posted it on Google Drive so if anyone wants to make modification to the file please feel free to do so. I'm in need of major help and expertise to pull something like this. At this stage, please do not worry too much for labor cost as I'm mechanically inclined and have a ton of friends in the local community that's willing to help if needed. Please add a new column for the price that you think is more reasonable and add a new row for something I missed on the list. It's a very vague and rough list for the project. Or if you just feel like to write it here its fine too. I appreciate any form of help for getting this project going on the right track. Also, if anyone knows where to source NSX parts from vendors that would be great too. Let's save this NSX!

ps: please no rude comments in here.

Spreadsheet on Google Drive: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AokSBAtBMVWxdC1BMEhIdDBMYUI1VzVlQ29GMEhRamc&usp=sharing
More images on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kgy64tnpsy5x2sc/HKzTfdX2cP
Pics were taken on 2/14/14

Attachments

• dd85c66a95dc11e3825412348fd912d5_8.jpg
    dd85c66a95dc11e3825412348fd912d5_8.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 856
Last edited:
I wish you luck, I hope you can bring this car back to life. Look up Shawn he could tell you what you'll need cosmetically. A lot of knowledgeable people on Prime that know this car down to almost every bolt can tell you what you might expect to replace. I will follow this if you decide to document your work and progress. Are you considering keeping her stock, or modifying her?

good luck....what is the vin? also we had a thread on prime about a similar car sitting on someones lawn for years,but I think it was red......you will get plenty of suggestions.

I assume you're already aware that with that mileage, when you're done the car still won't be worth anywhere near what you will have spent on it. Hopefully this is a labor of love rather than a matter of dollars and sense. Good luck with your project!

Best of luck, my friend. From our conversation the other night, it is all about a plan, and proper execution. If I can help at all, please let me know. I am eager to see the ol' girl on the road again and standing tall. :)

looks like a TON of work....good luck.

IMO for a project like this, most least cost effective way would be to find a accident NSX with wiring most in tact, use that as a doner car and transfer everything over that NSX ... It's the little things that will add up on your build... Might as well pick up a doner car and save yourself on the cost.

You appear to be new to the site so you may not have found the NSX Wiki on here yet. You can find it off the red action bar at the top of most pages. There is a section called "Repairing your NSX" which may have some useful information for you although I don't think there are any 'major re-build' lists on there. However if you search the forums, I think there was a thread in the last 4 months about a very low mileage NSX which had been sitting for a while and that will probably be useful to you as a list of things to do before you start it up. Be aware that approx every 90k miles or 7 years, the timing belt is supposed to be changed and for that kind of mileage, it should be on it's 4th belt by now .. and if it has been sitting for more than 7 years, you'd better change it soon. A timing belt failure will result in significant engine damage that will blow your budget. I'd be less concerned about non-critical rubber parts .. typically an NSX with those kinds of miles has been driven regularly and over time, things will have been better lubricated than if it had very low mileage. I have 185k miles on mine and other than major service, it hasn't required much. But I think you should attempt to get some maintenance records either from the previous owner .. or from the closest Acura dealer where it may have been serviced.
Good luck

The document is not editable.

Sorry, it should be editable by anyone now. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I wish you luck, I hope you can bring this car back to life. Look up Shawn he could tell you what you'll need cosmetically. A lot of knowledgeable people on Prime that know this car down to almost every bolt can tell you what you might expect to replace. I will follow this if you decide to document your work and progress. Are you considering keeping her stock, or modifying her?

Thanks. Do you have these guru's forum IDs so I can search/msg them? I think the least expensive way to do a total overhaul like this is to go with aftermarket parts. I could easily spend $20k on OEM parts. If I want an OEM car, I better off getting another NSX to start with I think.

good luck....what is the vin? also we had a thread on prime about a similar car sitting on someones lawn for years,but I think it was red......you will get plenty of suggestions.

Sorry No VIN at the time. Im not in possession of the car yet.

I assume you're already aware that with that mileage, when you're done the car still won't be worth anywhere near what you will have spent on it. Hopefully this is a labor of love rather than a matter of dollars and sense. Good luck with your project!

Yup, I was thinking to rebuild the motor with aftermarket parts. I really want to retain the classy part of this car but with the project like this, better off going all out with aftermarket performance financially considering all factors like resell value, cost, fun and etc.

Best of luck, my friend. From our conversation the other night, it is all about a plan, and proper execution. If I can help at all, please let me know. I am eager to see the ol' girl on the road again and standing tall. :)

Thanks Mitch, if you have been a great help! Yea, Im definitely gonna start pre-planning asap. get an idea of what Im getting myself into lol.

IMO for a project like this, most least cost effective way would be to find a accident NSX with wiring most in tact, use that as a doner car and transfer everything over that NSX ... It's the little things that will add up on your build... Might as well pick up a doner car and save yourself on the cost.

umm...that would help but its hard to find another doner car for what it is worth.

You appear to be new to the site so you may not have found the NSX Wiki on here yet. You can find it off the red action bar at the top of most pages. There is a section called "Repairing your NSX" which may have some useful information for you although I don't think there are any 'major re-build' lists on there. However if you search the forums, I think there was a thread in the last 4 months about a very low mileage NSX which had been sitting for a while and that will probably be useful to you as a list of things to do before you start it up. Be aware that approx every 90k miles or 7 years, the timing belt is supposed to be changed and for that kind of mileage, it should be on it's 4th belt by now .. and if it has been sitting for more than 7 years, you'd better change it soon. A timing belt failure will result in significant engine damage that will blow your budget. I'd be less concerned about non-critical rubber parts .. typically an NSX with those kinds of miles has been driven regularly and over time, things will have been better lubricated than if it had very low mileage. I have 185k miles on mine and other than major service, it hasn't required much. But I think you should attempt to get some maintenance records either from the previous owner .. or from the closest Acura dealer where it may have been serviced.
Good luck

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Yup, Im well aware of the importance of belt and snap rings (or the whole tranny) issue on this car. Instead of "repairing" better yet I can upgrade to all performance parts like gutted interiors, racing seats, seat belts, steering wheels, coilover, bbk, rims, piston, rods, cams, valves and etc. For the body, if I had to repair it, I might as well get the wide body kit.

First if you don't have a shop manual download a free copy from the Prime Wiki.
You'll definitely need this manual.

Because of the high mileage and the expected high cost of restoration it would be best to drop the engine out to do all the engine maintenance (timing belt/water pump/gaskets etc.) work.
While the engine is out suggest you measure engine wear on cylinders, bearings etc. per the shop manual and document this process with pictures.
You could easily and cost effectively do rings, bearings, valves etc. if needed at this time.
When you're done you'll have a documented engine inspection with replacement parts where needed and this should help deal with any concerns about the high mileage aspect of the car.

When you're done then you can compete with Hugh and Charlotte for the highest mileage NSX :smile:

This isn't a negative comment, it is advice. Unless you need to burn $$ and have a lot of time on you hands, run from that car as fast as you can! If it has been parked outside under a tarp for 7 years and has not been operated during that period it will have huge issues (think corrosion of all the electrical bits and an NSX doesn't go anywhere if the electrical bits don't work). Even if you got the car for $0, to restore it to 'near new' will cost you as much or more than a really nice used NSX in the marketplace, which you could drive home right now! The NSX market is too small to support a wide selection of aftermarket parts, so anything that is critical will end up being OEM. If you need an engine rebuild, the interior is gone, the paint appears to be bad - you are going to be looking at $20k in your rear view mirror really quick! Go to the on-line parts catalogue at Del Ray or some other vendor and start pricing out trim and interior pieces so that you enter this venture 'educated' about the cost.

I have done a ground up restoration on a 70s vintage non driving 'tarp car' that was no where near as complex as an NSX. It was/is a black hole for money so I know what I speak of!

there is some sound advice..to me this car would be a good candidate for a "body in white" track car.Meaning everything gets pulled off and the body bead blasted down to bare aluminum then the fun and wallet drain would begin.

I have to agree with the guys above me, this could easily run up into the price range of a nice, high mileage car with no issues, ready to drive - it could very easily end up costing more (read "will cost you more")

Even if you pay nothing for the labor (i.e. DIY) the parts alone will kill you. Not only that, but as already mentioned - with the mileage, this car will never have much value.

This is probably a great track car or parts car.

Once you start pricing out NSX parts, you will see what we mean.

Out of curiosity, how much is the car?

First if you don't have a shop manual download a free copy from the Prime Wiki.
You'll definitely need this manual.

Because of the high mileage and the expected high cost of restoration it would be best to drop the engine out to do all the engine maintenance (timing belt/water pump/gaskets etc.) work.
While the engine is out suggest you measure engine wear on cylinders, bearings etc. per the shop manual and document this process with pictures.
You could easily and cost effectively do rings, bearings, valves etc. if needed at this time.
When you're done you'll have a documented engine inspection with replacement parts where needed and this should help deal with any concerns about the high mileage aspect of the car.

When you're done then you can compete with Hugh and Charlotte for the highest mileage NSX :smile:

awesome. it will definitely come in handy regardless of which NSX I get. thanks!

This isn't a negative comment, it is advice. Unless you need to burn $$ and have a lot of time on you hands, run from that car as fast as you can! If it has been parked outside under a tarp for 7 years and has not been operated during that period it will have huge issues (think corrosion of all the electrical bits and an NSX doesn't go anywhere if the electrical bits don't work). Even if you got the car for $0, to restore it to 'near new' will cost you as much or more than a really nice used NSX in the marketplace, which you could drive home right now! The NSX market is too small to support a wide selection of aftermarket parts, so anything that is critical will end up being OEM. If you need an engine rebuild, the interior is gone, the paint appears to be bad - you are going to be looking at $20k in your rear view mirror really quick! Go to the on-line parts catalogue at Del Ray or some other vendor and start pricing out trim and interior pieces so that you enter this venture 'educated' about the cost.

I have done a ground up restoration on a 70s vintage non driving 'tarp car' that was no where near as complex as an NSX. It was/is a black hole for money so I know what I speak of!

what I meant by no negative comment was that I dont wanna hear anyone bashing on the owner or saying useless comments like how stupid it is to restore a car like this from ground up. I wanna hear reaons. Im 100% open to opinions from the opposite side and I totally agree with what you said. Electrical is the part I worry the most and know the least. As far as the engine, I heard from the last person that checked out the car. It was running fine surprisingly. So if it still runs, I will save the motor work to the end since they can be rebuilt or built.

there is some sound advice..to me this car would be a good candidate for a "body in white" track car.Meaning everything gets pulled off and the body bead blasted down to bare aluminum then the fun and wallet drain would begin.

I agree, just gut it and drive it as is. You're going to spend a fortune with the interior, which is not worth it.

Yup, thats why Im thinking gutted interior and make it as comfortable as I can for daily driving.

I have to agree with the guys above me, this could easily run up into the price range of a nice, high mileage car with no issues, ready to drive - it could very easily end up costing more (read "will cost you more")

Even if you pay nothing for the labor (i.e. DIY) the parts alone will kill you. Not only that, but as already mentioned - with the mileage, this car will never have much value.

This is probably a great track car or parts car.

Once you start pricing out NSX parts, you will see what we mean.

Out of curiosity, how much is the car?

You are right about the resale value on high mileage car regardless of whats done to it. well, if I can make it a good reliable track car, it is a track car. Its just sad to see an NSX sitting there and I wanna make some good use out of it. She deserves to be driven. And sorry I can not disclose the amount as of right now.

Boom! Exactly what I was going to say. If I were in his shoes I would look at it and think "Yep, perfect track car candidate". Gut it, throw a couple racing seats in it, replace the critical maintenance stuff - possible engine rebuild/refresh, check snap ring, get it up to snuff and running properly then go beat the ever living piss out of it on the track!

And as far as paint and body goes - you guys would be amazed at how much being best friends with a guy who's dad owns a body shop has saved me the last few years. Simply put - I got my SFWD hatch painted for less than $400, properly, granted I did all the prep work myself (100 hours of body/prep) before it went in, which is where most of their money is at. If you're not afraid to do that, you can get a good paint job for a decent price!

This car scares the hell out of me. That being said you will certainly know your NSX better than anyone (except for maybe Shawn) if you try and tackle this project. It is very noble to bring a car back from the brink. There is a Porsche 928 rebuild story on Pelican Parts that I would say is similar in complexity. It's worth a read if you have a few minutes.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors.../540954-first-928-story-nightmare-begins.html

Ok guys I have found this thread. dont worry its not about selling it later down the road your gonna keep this car till they pry your cold dead hands from the wheel. LOL

my plan of attack would be strip the car down to a rolling chassis drop engine out the bottom cut all the coolant hoses off from front to middle. I mean every single bolt needs to be removed, now removing the bolts remove them slowly as the old spot welds will pop off if your in a hurry to get the bolt off then how do you put the bolt back in if its poped off. and have the whole chassis painted NH-603P not the championship white trust me you want this car to look modern, modern cars have pearl in them. not bashing championship white they are bad ass but your paint is gone. send it off to paint. and forget about the chassis for awhile, when you tell the body guys no rush they do a better job and take more care with her.
then start working on the engine. remove everything and take pictures of everything. the more pictures you take the better for you near the end.
if you plan on doing all the work yourself timing belt water pump valve adjustments etc then you know what you doing but if your gonna pay someone to do this I would suggest just take them the whole engine tell them to story and they will know what to do. getting the engine alive again is your first priority dont worry about anything else only the engine.

then for the interior items pop up on NSXPRIME for sale daily watch ebay daily for anything you can use.
make a list of item you need for the interior. as they pop up for sale snag them ASAP as most interior parts sell with in seconds of bein posted.

if you need parts I have stock piles of almost everything now Im I dont have every single part but can get it.
Pm me with questions

goodluck. dont plan on driving the car for awhile I know the urge is get it drivable tomorrow... that not gonna happen.

and one last thing very important people on prime will give you the cold hard facts, remember they are only opinions but yelling isnt going to go over well with all the people that ARE going to help you get her back to life.

goodluck start your build thead today. there are also people that are not members that watch the build threads that are greese monkeys turned desk jockeys we Builders of the NSX make them happy.

I guess another thing to find out is why they parked the car in the first place 7 years ago. With 300k it could be almost anything.

post a pic of the miles thats awesome it got that many on original motor but its not uncommon we have seen 400-500K on the clocks.

I would love to do this project to see it from death to life make me so happy inside. dont give up man. you will love the end result and the car will mean that much more to you than people that dont drive their NSX and let it rot in the garage cuz they think its gonna be a lotto ticket LOL

You know what Shawn, judging from your location on here, we are ONLY 5 hours away from each other. :cool:
whoops, this is the old account I had registered to check NSXPrime.

Back