• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

[BC] Anyone have Collectors Insurance on their NSX?

Just got my Collector plates, and insurance is more than I thought it would be.. not complaining, it's still super cheap.. Just interested to see what other people have.

If you do have Collectors plates, please post:
NSX Year
City
Base Basic
Base Collision/Deductible
Base Comp/Deductible

For me:
NSX Year: 1992
City: Richmond
Base Basic: $244
Base Collision: $300 deductible@$668
Base Comp: $300 deductible@$594

I've had Collector plates on my 91 since June 2007.
My 2013 insurance for 7 months was $405 with same deductibles as you.
Vancouver Island rates and max discount of (I think) 43 %.

NSX Year:1991
City: Vancouver
Basic coverage: $103
Collision with $300 deductible: $299
Comprehensive with $300 deductible: $242
Third party liability $1 million: $14

Total 2014-15 annual cost excluding licence fee - $658 (incorporates a 43% discount)

NSX Year:1991
City: Vancouver
Basic coverage: $103
Collision with $300 deductible: $299
Comprehensive with $300 deductible: $242
Third party liability $1 million: $14

Total 2014-15 annual cost excluding licence fee - $658 (incorporates a 43% discount)

Thanks! Very interesting.. even at a 43% discount, my numbers are still higher by around 40%..
Would you mind posting your base rates?
Also, do you know the rate classes?
My Rate Class is 701 (thats collectors, so it should be the same)
My Rate Group for collision is 17
My Rate Group for comprehensive is 22

Last edited:
Jeremy
Both Marc and I are in the retired guy rate group which may explain most of the difference.
Jim

Hi Jeremy

Base coverage is as follows:

Basic Rate Class 705 $180
Collision Rate Group 16 $649
Comprehensive Group 22 $506
3rd party liability $1 million only (due to other umbrella liability coverage) $30

My claim rated scale discount is 43% (-18) and I seem to also qualify for Roadstar Gold which results in a $707 savings.

Marc

Hi Jeremy

Base coverage is as follows:

Basic Rate Class 705 $180
Collision Rate Group 16 $649
Comprehensive Group 22 $506
3rd party liability $1 million only (due to other umbrella liability coverage) $30

My claim rated scale discount is 43% (-18) and I seem to also qualify for Roadstar Gold which results in a $707 savings.

Marc

Thanks Marc and Jim!
Looks like the differences came from
A) Rate Class (701 vs 705) and
B) Collision Group (17 vs 16)

The collision group, as I was told, is evaluated every 3 years, so maybe the 91/92 differences just happens to be at the point.

Hi guys,

I'm confused :confused:
How did you guys qualify for collectors plates?, as I must be interpreting something incorrectly from the ICBC site:

To qualify, your vehicle must be

• at least 25 years old, (not yet)
  • at least 15 years old and of no more than 1,500 of that make and model (not edition) produced worldwide by the manufacturer for that model year (9125 = 365x25 cars a day)
  • at least 15 years old, where the manufacturer that own the "trademark" or "make" of that vehicle has ceased manufacturing vehicles of any kind for at least the last five years (Acura is still making vehicles<acura is="" still="" making="" vehicles<="" font=""><i'm pretty="" sure="" acura="" is="" still="" making="" vehicles<="" font="">, just not the NSX, so this wouldn't apply either)</i'm></acura>

Thanks in advance,

Neil

Last edited:
From the same page that I got the age requirements for the Collector plates:
http://www.icbc.com/registration-licensing/specialty-vehicles/collector-vehicles# "Collectable condition of your vehicle" section

Your vehicle must be

• in exceedingly good condition (for example, no dents, scratches, rust, chips in the paint, visible primer, tears in the interior);
  • in a condition that conforms to the original manufacturer's specifications (no non-approved parts and accessories added); and
  • maintained in the same condition when originally approved for collector plates.

= bone stock.
The only exception is for "Modified" collector cars = hot rods, pre 1958

Last edited:
My recollection is that Jim made a very persuasive argument as to how unique a vehicle the NSX is and that the production numbers of the NSX had tailed off dramatically after the initial couple of years. With the precedent set, I was able to get in on his coat-tails.

Marc

Hi guys,

I'm confused :confused:
How did you guys qualify for collectors plates?, as I must be interpreting something incorrectly from the ICBC site:

To qualify, your vehicle must be

• at least 25 years old, (not yet)
  • at least 15 years old and of no more than 1,500 of that make and model (not edition) produced worldwide by the manufacturer for that model year (9125 = 365x25 cars a day)
  • at least 15 years old, where the manufacturer that own the "trademark" or "make" of that vehicle has ceased manufacturing vehicles of any kind for at least the last five years (Acura is still making vehicles<acura is="" still="" making="" vehicles<="" font=""><i'm pretty="" sure="" acura="" is="" still="" making="" vehicles<="" font="">, just not the NSX, so this wouldn't apply either)</i'm></acura>

Thanks in advance,

Neil

I think I was the first to get Collector plates for my 91 back in June 2007 and worked for 18 months to convince Nigel Matthews who was ICBC's collector car manager at the time, to agree to allow stock NSX's in on the limited volume over 15 year old basis.
NSX production volume was split between Honda and Acura reducing NSX production volume and only 698 Canadian market NSX's were made 1991-2005.

- - - Updated - - -

For collector status, does the car have to be bone stock? Can I modify anything at all?

Here is a link to the allowed ICBC Collector car accessories list.
http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registration/Specialty-vehicles/accessories-parts.pdf
For example you can change the wheels on a stock NSX as long as they are period correct (plus/minus two years from car model year)
As far as I know 17/18 Advan's etc. are not permitted.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the intent of the Collector car program is to offer an insurance discount for special cars that are not driven to work or school (not daily driver's).
When you see a collector plate, the car it's on is supposed to be a well preserved example of a stock unit.
I suppose it add's some provenance and value to a car in that the car has had to pass certain ICBC criteria to get the plate.

As these cars are not racking up high mileages each year and are generally very well cared for the risk/cost to ICBC is reduced and so our insurance premiums are reduced which is a win for all of us.
PM me for details if you like

Last edited:
I think I was the first to get Collector plates for my 91 back in June 2007 and worked for 18 months to convince Nigel Matthews who was ICBC's collector car manager at the time, to agree to allow stock NSX's in on the limited volume over 15 year old basis.
NSX production volume was split between Honda and Acura reducing NSX production volume and only 698 Canadian market NSX's were made 1991-2005.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a link to the allowed ICBC Collector car accessories list.
http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registration/Specialty-vehicles/accessories-parts.pdf
For example you can change the wheels on a stock NSX as long as they are period correct (plus/minus two years from car model year)
As far as I know 17/18 Advan's etc. are not permitted.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the intent of the Collector car program is to offer an insurance discount for special cars that are not driven to work or school (not daily driver's).
When you see a collector plate, the car it's on is supposed to be a well preserved example of a stock unit.
I suppose it add's some provenance and value to a car in that the car has had to pass certain ICBC criteria to get the plate.

As these cars are not racking up high mileages each year and are generally very well cared for the risk/cost to ICBC is reduced and so our insurance premiums are reduced which is a win for all of us.
PM me for details if you like

Wow - that's quite the impressive story! I never thought a crown corporation would ever vary from the published "rules".
Good for you for sticking with it!
Thanks for the link for the approved accessories - here I thought if I just switched the wheels & rims back to stock on my NSX I would be all set, but it looks like a no-go, as the previous owner had done a few changes that would be a knockout for the collectors plates :frown:

Cheers,

Neil

- - - Updated - - -

Your car has been modded far too much to qualify for Collector plates.
It's basically a 2002+ clone

Weren't you the person that was trying to bribe another NSX owner to provide you with pics of a stock red NSX so you could use those pics on your Collector plate application?
And didn't Lud remove your thread because you were trying to use a Prime forum to organize a scam on ICBC.

I'd suggest you are not doing yourself any favours by using a public forum like Prime to try and organize your ICBC scam.

I'd also add that conduct like your ICBC scam attempt is not only cheapening yourself but also cheapening the image of other BC NSX owners.

Perhaps you have an explanation why you would plan to defraud ICBC?

Last edited:
First off, it's not fraud. I believe it's in the spirit of the law, don't you? Do you think my car is not "collectible"? A low mileage 95 that has never been in the rain more than five minutes it's whole life? Of course it is.. the whole "collectable" thing is a farce, it's not a baseball card or a stamp.

JD, you speed and break the law in your NSX every time you drive that is when you're not commuting on your high horse.

- - - Updated - - -

Ten bucks says its to save some dough.
L

You drive to work on these plates and get into an accident you're done for. By using these plates they can say your not in compliance and don't think they wouldn't. They can claim you modified your car after. If you killed a DR trust me they would be on you quicker than a whip. You better not count on them is all I can say. So if you want to call me the bad guy you go ahead but I don't think you understand the game at all.

Last edited:
First off, it's not fraud. I believe it's in the spirit of the law, don't you? Do you think my car is not "collectible"? A low mileage 95 that has never been in the rain more than five minutes it's whole life? Of course it is.. the whole "collectable" thing is a farce, it's not a baseball card or a stamp.

JD, you speed and break the law in your NSX every time you drive that is when you're not commuting on your high horse.

- - - Updated - - -

L

You drive to work on these plates and get into an accident you're done for. By using these plates they can say your not in compliance and don't think they wouldn't. They can claim you modified your car after. If you killed a DR trust me they would be on you quicker than a whip. You better not count on them is all I can say. So if you want to call me the bad guy you go ahead but I don't think you understand the game at all.

RJ
Perhaps you miss the point here.
This is not about me, nor whether your well looked after 95 is collectible or not, nor whether ICBC is a wonderful or not wonderful insurer.

You stated you wanted Collector plates on your car.
There are rules laid out by ICBC that a car needs to meet before they will issue a Collector plate.
Your car doesn't meet those requirements.
So the logical thing for most car owners at this point is to either restore their car to meet ICBC's definition of Collector status or accept they don't qualify and move on.

However you decided you had found a way to circumvent the ICBC process by sending ICBC a application containing false information about your car, include pictures of an unmodified car that is not your car, then sign the document saying all your statements are true and the car pictured is yours.
If you believe this is "in the sprit of the law" that's your business and has nothing to do with me.

Then I noticed that to implement your strategy you went to a public forum, NSX Prime, told the forum what you wanted to do, asked other owners for stock pictures to include in your false ICBC application and offered to pay an owner for the pictures.
Again you can choose the words to describe using a public forum to ask for help in falsifying documents to a government body that controls licensing and insuring vehicles in BC.

The fact that the owner of the Prime site removed your thread so as not to be a party to what you were planning might provide a clue about the strategy.

I don't mind if your response to this business is to belittle me, ICBC, the ICBC Collector car program, or anything else .
None of this has anything to do with me.

Last edited:
I'm also curious how you guys were able to get collector's plates. Mine is a pure stock '91 (other than swapping out the 3 dead amps) and I got flat out denied when I applied a couple of years ago. They said that it didn't qualify for any of the 3 conditions mentioned a post above. So I'm paying about $1500 with the 43% max discount and waiting until '16...

Also for those of you who do have it, do you guys pay extra for the "agreed value" coverage?

If your NSX is bone stock you can get a Collectors plate and you should reapply.

ICBC is being very cautious about NSX's of late.
A BC NSX owner posted pics on a social media site showing a 1992 NSX with 2002+ parts and a Collector plate even though it didn't comply with the criteria.
My ICBC source felt they were taken advantage of by this owner, as they are not experts on the intricacies of each part on each marque and do rely on the owner's statement of integrity assuring them the car and parts are period correct.

They've told me they will be scrutinizing any future NSX applications very carefully.

RJ
Perhaps you miss the point here.
This is not about me, nor whether your well looked after 95 is collectible or not, nor whether ICBC is a wonderful or not wonderful insurer.

You stated you wanted Collector plates on your car.
There are rules laid out by ICBC that a car needs to meet before they will issue a Collector plate.
Your car doesn't meet those requirements.
So the logical thing for most car owners at this point is to either restore their car to meet ICBC's definition of Collector status or accept they don't qualify and move on.

However you decided you had found a way to circumvent the ICBC process by sending ICBC a application containing false information about your car, include pictures of an unmodified car that is not your car, then sign the document saying all your statements are true and the car pictured is yours.
If you believe this is "in the sprit of the law" that's your business and has nothing to do with me.

Then I noticed that to implement your strategy you went to a public forum, NSX Prime, told the forum what you wanted to do, asked other owners for stock pictures to include in your false ICBC application and offered to pay an owner for the pictures.
Again you can choose the words to describe using a public forum to ask for help in falsifying documents to a government body that controls licensing and insuring vehicles in BC.

The fact that the owner of the Prime site removed your thread so as not to be a party to what you were planning might provide a clue about the strategy.

I don't mind if your response to this business is to belittle me, ICBC, the ICBC Collector car program, or anything else .
None of this has anything to do with me.

So it's ok that some people broke the rules but not everyone? How many grains of sand is a pile my friend? Your saying you have a few gains but I have a pile? Nothing personal here and I understand now that I need to be nice on prime cause people get pissy but this is dead wrong and I'll say it... It burns my briches pardon my harsh words...

If I thought that ICBC wouldn't f me over If I got into an accident, I would rip them off quick as a whip and sleep like a baby seal in a clubless world.

Back