• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX vs BMW i8

Saturday night a BMW i8 was auctioned off at the Oregon Classic Wines Auction for $240,000. The car has a sticker price of roughly $150,000, right in line with the 2nd Gen. NSX. Right after the winning bid, a competing bidder came up and said he would take one also at that price. The BMW rep who was there said that there are only 4 i8's in the country right now.

The i8 has a very similar silhouette to the new NSX and a similar drivetrain.

IMG_20140301_230712_807_zpsf4011320.jpg

The i8 is wimpy in the power department, compared to the NSX. It's more of a "sporty car"; it has back seats.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago at the Toronto Auto Show and thought it looked great. The body panels definitely have some odd shapes as they go over the rear wheels but I think it's to channel the air. Its a bit like the back end of a P1 in a sense that it's more about channelling the air than creating a flush finish. I was surprised that it had rear seats .. although I suspect they're only for young children or small pets.

Different animal.....doubtful a performance orientated buyer will snuggle up (but nice design).

i8 vs. NSX, 350hp vs ~550hp, simply not the same category

Saturday night a BMW i8 was auctioned off at the Oregon Classic Wines Auction for $240,000. The car has a sticker price of roughly $150,000, right in line with the 2nd Gen. NSX. Right after the winning bid, a competing bidder came up and said he would take one also at that price. The BMW rep who was there said that there are only 4 i8's in the country right now.

The i8 has a very similar silhouette to the new NSX and a similar drivetrain.

I think the i8 could not even compete with the 1st Gen NSX when it comes to performance.

Sure, with your batteries fully load, a couple of 0-60 sprints it could keep up, but as soon as those batteries are more-or-less depleted you're back in a very heavy car with a small engine.

I wish some car magazine would repear those 0-60 or even 0-100 mph sprints with an EV car at least five times in a row and then see what the average time would be.
There is no doubt that in a electric driven car, the EV has the advantage over a combustion engine. But that advantage evaporates at high(er) speeds imho.

After seeing the i8 in person it is a pretty cool looking ride, but I think the next NSX will look and perform much better. The i8 concept that was in mission impossible was much cooler than the final product.

Back