• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

'91 Dyno'ed

JLCoolman and Honcho: Based on your experiences, I wonder if there would be a demand for aftermarket exhausts that retain the stock diameter but produce an aggressive sound.

I would buy it in a heartbeat. The closest is probably the RS*R (discontinued) or the Tubi (also discontinued). I really wish someone would just copy the stock muffler but in titanium. The closest to that is the Fujitsubo Super Ti.

Just dyno'ed today. I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting a larger gain in the midrange. Black is most recent, red is from before. Same dyno place, no dyno recalibration since I last went. Weather was similar for both days though today was probably a little warmer (5-10 degrees F at most).

Power mods for red line:
+ Headers
+ Custom exhaust with Magnaflow muffler (2.25")

Power mods for black line:
+ RDX injectors with Stage 3 tune
= Headers
- Custom exhaust with Magnaflow muffler (2.25")
+ Pride V2
+ Pride resonated test pipes
+ Downforce intake scoop (with fan blowing directly in driver's side scoop)

Anyone care to give their thoughts? My initial reaction was the Pride V2 is restrictive but I was assured that the difference between this exhaust and the GTLW (my second choice) was not drastic (< 5whp peak), especially for an NA application.

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-07%2Bat%2B11.23.25%2BAM.png

My guess that the Pride exhaust is simply not as free flowing as a much simpler exhaust. You would be closer to say 270 whp if you had it perhaps. Consider that. Great numbers none-the-less. 260 whp in our 3.0 cars is impressive. The twin turbo 3.0s from the same era with 300 hp usually dyno ~245 whp fyi. A stock 320 hp MK4 supra does not even dyno ~260 hp actually. You should be able to break into the high 12s or low 13s with the right tires and launch with this power.

My guess that the Pride exhaust is simply not as free flowing as a much simpler exhaust. You would be closer to say 270 whp if you had it perhaps. Consider that. Great numbers none-the-less. 260 whp in our 3.0 cars is impressive. The twin turbo 3.0s from the same era with 300 hp usually dyno ~245 whp fyi. A stock 320 hp MK4 supra does not even dyno ~260 hp actually. You should be able to break into the high 12s or low 13s with the right tires and launch with this power.

Thanks N Spec, that was my initial thought as well. However, with the addition of my other mods, especially the RDX injectors and tune with the Pride V2, I was expecting a larger gain at least in the midrange. Maybe @B2FiNiTY wants to exchange exhausts with me for the next dyno :)? He was there with me. I've also done some minor weight reduction about 160 pounds based on my estimates. I wanted to get weighed as well but the shop's scales weren't available today. Maybe those high 12s are attainable with the correct driver mod!

So you went from Magnaflow exhaust and (stock?) cats to a Pride V2 and no cats?

Where in Cali are you?

Yes sir, I went from a rusty old custom 2.25" exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler with stock cats to a Pride V2 with Pride resonated test pipes. I'm at South San Francisco.

Last edited:
That's not a bad dyno considering you have the V2. Depending on the car, mods, etc, the pretzel exhausts give up between 5-10 whp up top because the airflow has to go through all of those twists and bends. It is the price you pay for the sound.

I've been doing a ton of research on engine management and tuning as I explore my options for my 3.0 and something I've discovered is that chip-by-mail is not a perfect solution. Each car is slightly different and those differences might erase most of the gains you see on someone else's dyno. The only way to maximize the benefit is to tune the ECU on your car in real time. What sucks is the very limited tuning available for the NSX. Crome and Uberdata do not support the PR7 ECU. Neither does Hondata. There is Techtom, but no one in the US seems to have one or know how to use it right. SOS and Dali gave up on the chip, since most folks opted for more powerful solutions (AEM, supercharger, etc) and customers were not always seeing the same gains in a one-off chip by mail. I think this result mutated into the "you can't do better than the stock tune" meme we see on some threads. Well, you can. Prospeed has shown it over and over, especially with the RDX kit. However, notice the dynos Brian posts are ones from cars he tunes directly. I don't think that's an accident. I suspect if he tuned your car, you'd see more power. It's just because, like I said, each car is different. FWIW, we are working on having Prospeed come out here to tune several NSX's for this very reason. A chip might be good, but you can't beat in-person tuning.

That's not a bad dyno considering you have the V2. Depending on the car, mods, etc, the pretzel exhausts give up between 5-10 whp up top because the airflow has to go through all of those twists and bends. It is the price you pay for the sound.

I've been doing a ton of research on engine management and tuning as I explore my options for my 3.0 and something I've discovered is that chip-by-mail is not a perfect solution. Each car is slightly different and those differences might erase most of the gains you see on someone else's dyno. The only way to maximize the benefit is to tune the ECU on your car in real time. What sucks is the very limited tuning available for the NSX. Crome and Uberdata do not support the PR7 ECU. Neither does Hondata. There is Techtom, but no one in the US seems to have one or know how to use it right. SOS and Dali gave up on the chip, since most folks opted for more powerful solutions (AEM, supercharger, etc) and customers were not always seeing the same gains in a one-off chip by mail. I think this result mutated into the "you can't do better than the stock tune" meme we see on some threads. Well, you can. Prospeed has shown it over and over, especially with the RDX kit. However, notice the dynos Brian posts are ones from cars he tunes directly. I don't think that's an accident. I suspect if he tuned your car, you'd see more power. It's just because, like I said, each car is different. FWIW, we are working on having Prospeed come out here to tune several NSX's for this very reason. A chip might be good, but you can't beat in-person tuning.

Thanks for the great insight Honcho. Please enlighten me - if I were to drive to Prospeed/Brian to have him tune my chip, what exactly do I need? Engine management? Or will he already have the equipment to do this for me, say just plug into my ECU, flash the chip, and go from there. I'm a newbie when it comes to tuning. Given Brian's absence from the forum, I'll probably get a faster answer from you.

I would email him to confirm, but I understand he has everything he needs to do the tune and uses Bisimoto's dyno. So, all you have to do is bring your car. He will tune it and reflash your chip and you go home.

Bisi tune my supercharge nsx. Just call him directly. I belief web is bisimoto in Ontario California. Bisi is the mastermind behind Prospeed chip.

Dyno'ed my 91 honda NSX 2 weeks ago - Mods: Taitec header, 100psi race cat conveter, Taitec GTLW, Procar Carbon Airbox, - Result: 300 HP acc. to DIN measurement method

Last edited:
Dyno'ed my 91 honda NSX 2 weeks ago - Mods: Taitec header, 100psi race cat conveter, Taitec GTLW, Procar Carbon Airbox, - Result: 300 HP acc. to DIN measurement method

So that's HP at the crank, including driveline losses, right? Do you know what the rear wheel hp were? The OP's numbers are rear wheel numbers.

I might visit Brian then, but not any time soon. For now I keep hearing that my dyno results aren't that bad which makes me feel better :). I just wish the improvement was better. In any case, I'm trying to set up a dyno day for people who live in Northern California. Maybe I can get a better picture if I compare my car with others' setups. If you can make it and you're interested, please reply in this thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/185149-Dyno-Day!-Interested

Also, greenberet is correct. These are rear wheel hp numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

262 WHP acc. to dyno plot

If you don't mind me asking, how many miles on your car and what type of dyno was it?

Last edited:
131000 Kilometers... Don' t what that is in Miles...
Dyno Typ: have to Check that, its a well known one here due to
the fact that it shows realistic results instead of unrealistic hy values

I might visit Brian then, but not any time soon. For now I keep hearing that my dyno results aren't that bad which makes me feel better :). I just wish the improvement was better. In any case, I'm trying to set up a dyno day for people who live in Northern California. Maybe I can get a better picture if I compare my car with others' setups. If you can make it and you're interested, please reply in this thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/185149-Dyno-Day!-Interested

Also, greenberet is correct. These are rear wheel hp numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't mind me asking, how many miles on your car and what type of dyno was it?

For now I keep hearing that my dyno results aren't that bad which makes me feel better :). I just wish the improvement was better.

Your results are on par with the typical gains achieved for the given modifications. Prior to Prospeed offering the RDX injectors, my car dynoed at 263wHP and 203wTQ with a custom tune on the stock ECU and injectors.

Perhaps you can squeeze a few more HPs with optimization for your particular setup considering the RDX injector upgrade.

Your results are on par with the typical gains achieved for the given modifications. Prior to Prospeed offering the RDX injectors, my car dynoed at 263wHP and 203wTQ with a custom tune on the stock ECU and injectors.

Perhaps you can squeeze a few more HPs with optimization for your particular setup considering the RDX injector upgrade.

Did you also dyno on a superflow awd dyno like I did? The thing is, I'd be much happier with a larger positive delta rather than larger numbers in general. Even though my dyno numbers are on par, the change from my dyno before is not as high as I expected. :(

dynapack reads a lot higher in my experience due to the wheels being off so it measures power to the hub rather than to the rollers. However, theoretically it should be more accurate since it eliminates differences in rolling resistance due to different size wheels, tires,etc.

Just for reference, on a similar dynapack (church's dynapack) for those familiar, I've been able to make 192hp (forgot the torque) with a b18c5 (I/H/E/Cam Gears) tuned with vafc and 250hp via a k20a with I/H/E tuned with s200 kpro.

Car is a 94 with 82k. CT Headers, Cantrell intake and TaiTec exhaust with stage 3 and RDX. Here is my dyno run from a few months ago. I only saw 248 at the wheels and 198 Tq. Granted that is at 6000ft here in Albuquerque.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Who tuned your car? The AFRs are way too lean and your torque curve is all over the place.

Nobody has tuned it, I am just using the Prospeed stage 3 chip. We only did the one run because of possible detonation. I am hoping that the new tune that Brian has said is coming will solve this. This maybe (is) one of the reasons tune by mail doesn't always work.

Back