• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lesson Finally Learned At Track

at about 1:18 and then every leap year afterward:tongue:

My wife has since been aggressively dismissive of me spending any money to repair the NSX. She warned prior to NSXPO that if anything happened to the car that I would not be allowed to repair it. She MEANT IT! The car has been in a barn on a lift since Cody graciously brought it back from NJMP.

So yeah, NEVER let ANYONE else drive your car. Ultimately, they don't give a shit if they wreck it and leave you fucked.

Wow sounds like a match made in heaven where the spouse is "aggressively dismissive" of something I presume you would like to do.

Remind me again why being married is so awesome, i seeem to have forgotten..

So. I just got "certified" as an instructor with a large sactioning body.

After going through the class and seeing what's involved (in this case, no real "exam" or vetting by a chief instructor or panel, and only peer review by other prospective instructors), I would be thoroughly disinclined to allow anyone with the title to drive my car.

I did this because I have several friends and a siginificant-other who are interested in getting started in the hobby, and I'd like to help them get their feet wet with a familiar instructor. I don't have a lot of motivation to be a "pool" instructor, because for as many "bad" instructors as you hear about there are probably 100 "bad" students. (I'd still be willing to help at XPO though, if needed :) ) Cheap track time should be a perk, not a reason.

By the same token, for all of the reasons mentioned above in this thread, it would be a VERY rare occasion when I would drive a student's car....and I would never ask to, I don't care if it was God's own chariot, unless they outright offer, I'm keeping my mouth shut. I know well that I'm not good to cover a Carrera GT if I stuff it.....or a Carrera 4S for that matter (not comfortably anyway). Would I want to? Sure Could I? No. and that's the case with a lot of instructors.

That brings me to a point that was hammered in during the instructor certification class: Don't touch the controls, and don't drive the student's car. As soon as you do, you could be held liable. Is there legal recourse, maybe not...but that won't necessarily stop everyone from trying.

At what part of the video posted above is the infamous corner we are discussing about here?

I think it is at 1' 15" in Bob's video.

I have been in a car that had complete brake failure at a speed close to what Bob is approaching into T1 with an Intermediate driver ( I am a Novice) at the helm of a high hp vette. We were on the tails of a Viper when this occurred and approaching a 90 degree right hander. We drove straight off the track while pumping the brakes like a madman. I remained calm and we stopped the car shortly before the tire wall without a scratch.

Various HPDE class rooms I have been in taught me if you are not slowed down enough to make the turn you should drive straight off. Hopefully I have been getting good advice.

Last edited:
I think it is at 1' 15" in Bob's video.

I have been in a car that had complete brake failure at a speed close to what Bob is approaching into T1 with an Intermediate driver ( I am a Novice) at the helm of a high hp vette. We were on the tails of a Viper when this occurred and approaching a 90 degree right hander. We drove straight off the track while pumping the brakes like a madman. I remained calm and we stopped the car shortly before the tire wall without a scratch.

Various HPDE class rooms I have been to taught me if you are not slowed down enough to make the turn you should drive straight off.

I'm guessing that's to avoid flipping?

Wow sounds like a match made in heaven where the spouse is "aggressively dismissive" of something I presume you would like to do.

Remind me again why being married is so awesome, i seeem to have forgotten..

+1

At least sign a prenup so you have your own money and can do whatever you want with it.

I'm an adult and the only people who tell me what I'm allowed and not allowed to do have sidearms and handcuffs.

Last edited:
Various HPDE class rooms I have been in taught me if you are not slowed down enough to make the turn you should drive straight off. Hopefully I have been getting good advice.

But you still need situational awareness and familiarity to choose, generally in a split second, whether there is a greater risk by staying straight. Generally it would be safer but if there is a fixed object (wall, etc) directly in front of you and there is no way you will stop before a head on impact you need to have "Plan B" ready to go as was done in the instance at NJMP. Keeping straight at NJMP in Turn 1 was not an option. At some tracks you need to be careful about going off "sideways" in case there is gravel which could catch and flip your car. When you do your initial recon laps at slow speeds, you should look for where you might need to go off in the event of a brake failure, too much speed into a turn, etc. and have the situational awareness at speed to aim for those "safer" choices.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been in a car that had complete brake failure at a speed close to what Bob is approaching into T1 with an Intermediate driver ( I am a Novice) at the helm of a high hp vette.

What I find concerning in this statement is that an intermediate driver had you in the car as a passenger. That should never be permitted, even if the Intermediate student is signed off to go solo.

Last edited:
+1 on this...

But you still need situational awareness and familiarity to choose, generally in a split second, whether there is a greater risk by staying straight. Generally it would be safer but if there is a fixed object (wall, etc) directly in front of you and there is no way you will stop before a head on impact you need to have "Plan B" ready to go as was done in the instance at NJMP. Keeping straight at NJMP in Turn 1 was not an option. At some tracks you need to be careful about going off "sideways" in case there is gravel which could catch and flip your car. When you do your initial recon laps at slow speeds, you should look for where you might need to go off in the event of a brake failure, too much speed into a turn, etc. and have the situational awareness at speed to aim for those "safer" choices.

lightning 1.JPG

- here is Google view- please check my work. I was on an instructor ride-along but we
were about 1/2 lap behind.

Last edited:
Just want to point out, that CFIs are cheap. In fact, you can probably get one to moonlight if you buy them lunch. :)

And for the record, I always give rides in my car, I never drive the students. I don't want the risk of being behind the wheel and something out of my control happening in someone's car. The exception is my student with the Carrera GT. That I couldn't pass up. :)

Lol. Don't blame you one bit.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a hard lesson but these days I leave nothing out when "prepping" for a track day and that includes insurance.

I will only do track days with groups that qualify for coverage through Lockton: http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/track-insurance/

This includes NSXPOs since the NSXCA is approved with our HPDE program to allow our members to purchase coverage. It's not mandatory but it beats the alternative.

Sounds like a great idea. How do they usually charge for single event premiums (a detailed application is needed for a quote it seems)? Also, if there is a claim, does it go on your regular street insurance claims record (thus affecting your regular insurance premiums)?

- - - Updated - - -

It's a hard lesson but these days I leave nothing out when "prepping" for a track day and that includes insurance.

I will only do track days with groups that qualify for coverage through Lockton: http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/track-insurance/

This includes NSXPOs since the NSXCA is approved with our HPDE program to allow our members to purchase coverage. It's not mandatory but it beats the alternative.

Sounds like a great idea. How do they usually charge for the premiums? Based on individual events? Also, if there is a claim, does it go on your regular street insurance claims record (thus affecting your regular insurance premiums)?

Last edited:
Lol. Don't blame you one bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a great idea. How do they usually charge for single event premiums (a detailed application is needed for a quote it seems)? Also, if there is a claim, does it go on your regular street insurance claims record (thus affecting your regular insurance premiums)?

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a great idea. How do they usually charge for the premiums? Based on individual events? Also, if there is a claim, does it go on your regular street insurance claims record (thus affecting your regular insurance premiums)?

You can get a multi-event discount or price it per event. I generally pay around $250 for the weekend with a stated value of $38k and $1k deductible. It doesn't go on your "regular street insurance claims record".

Back