• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RDX Tune... a couple of questions

Yeah, I'm willing to do the two tunes, I just want to know WHAT it is about the RDX injectors that makes them "better" and if the RDX injectors are unique, or typical of modern injectors.

Essentially, what I'm saying is: will any new injector have improved atomization, or do only the RDX injectors achieve this?

Yeah, I'm willing to do the two tunes, I just want to know WHAT it is about the RDX injectors that makes them "better" and if the RDX injectors are unique, or typical of modern injectors.

Essentially, what I'm saying is: will any new injector have improved atomization, or do only the RDX injectors achieve this?

Any injector with the 12-hole nozzle will have similar properties as the RDX. Any pintle-type injector will not. I would be interested to see the effect of a Prospeed or similar tune on a set of freshly cleaned and balanced OEM injectors and compare that to the RDX. I bet it would be closer.

I would think the vendor should want to do step up and do all this testing to have a proven product and increase sales... Plus he must have a discounted rate for doing repeated business with a tuner (bisimoto?)

But then again I was so hungry to mod I just took the chance because the mod was relatively inexpensive and I had future plans for the FIC, so why would he bother. Plus he is busy with school so probably not a lot of time and resources going into this.

I don't see anyone else with any incentive to do it either so this will remain a mystery until someone steps up. Maybe a shop would do it for is if we all pitched in since we all want to know. If we get enough contributions they could be small.

Turbo2go group buy on knowledge and testing :)

Last edited:
I would think the vendor should want to do step up and do all this testing to have a proven product and increase sales... Plus he must have a discounted rate for doing repeated business with a tuner (bisimoto?)

But then again I was so hungry to mod I just took the chance because the mod was relatively inexpensive and I had future plans for the FIC, so why would he bother. Plus he is busy with school so probably not a lot of time and resources going into this.

I don't see anyone else with any incentive to do it either so this will remain a mystery until someone steps up. Maybe a shop would do it for is if we all pitched in since we all want to know. If we get enough contributions they could be small.

Turbo2go group buy on knowledge and testing :)

Oh what I would do if there were more hours in a day :/ ....

I would agree the rdx injector idle problem is with the tune.
Without going back to some of the earlier threads, I thought that the reason for the special tune was that if you just swapped the injectors, it ran rich or wouldn't idle properly .. and the primary reason for the 'special' Prospeed tune was that it fixed that issue.

yes you need the tune to make it work, obviously the tune is not always perfect, could be the gas in your area could be altitude could be a different mods on different cars could be any number of different things, but the base line is, it is better than standard.
The obvious thing is go different ECU to get the max out of these more modern injectors but that is not what everyone wants to do (at first) so it is a good starting point

Without going back to some of the earlier threads, I thought that the reason for the special tune was that if you just swapped the injectors, it ran rich or wouldn't idle properly .. and the primary reason for the 'special' Prospeed tune was that it fixed that issue.

Yeah. And what I'm trying to ascertain is whether a tune and clean/like-new stock injectors would yield similar power gains to a tune with the RDX injectors. According to A.S. Motorsport, it seems that the RDX tune yields about 10 additional horsepower compared to a tune on the stock injectors.

There's plenty of old data on tunes from years ago, I'm sure a lot of those cars had IHE. I think 10whp sounds reasonable considering that NA nsxs with just bolt ons weren't making the power levels now attainable.

Problem is, most comparison dynos compare new-in-box RDX injectors to tired OEM's that have 20 years of gunk in them. I'm just curious what new-to-new would show.

Oh definitely, the more data the better. But it cost money and time to generate...

Problem is, most comparison dynos compare new-in-box RDX injectors to tired OEM's that have 20 years of gunk in them. I'm just curious what new-to-new would show.

I feel the same way.

I was turning over 27 mpg with the standard 5 speed when I did this mod. I still turn over 23 mpg with the current transmission. These are far more efficient than any claims of cleaned injectors and the power that came along with the better mpg is more noticeable then headers.

I feel the same way.

so did i so i got my injectors cleaned i always had a Dali hot chip, then i put the Prospeed chip and RDX injector mod in and got a noticible amount of power difference and i dynoed with my clean injectors with Dali chip left the car on the dyno and installed the new system and yes its better.
So same day comparison yes my injectors were original but had just been serviced, this mod is an improvement over stock and i am sure with a personal proper tune it could be better however for an off the shelf type chip it did work and i would do it again.
However to get the most out of those new injectors a different ECU is the obvious next step but some people dont want that so can keep their OEM one and still be happy

Last edited:
I had read that someone did the back to back dyno could have been you..so on the oem ecu what was the difference in hp?

I would love to see the dyno too. Even more I would love to see sr5guy finish cracking the ecu. I'm willing to give money for that cause. Maybe we could pool enough to have him take a week off of work and focus just on this? Lol

I have since asked Brian to re-look at my tune because of the dips around vtec kicking in so there are some updates coming to smooth out the bumps and dips hopefully, I believe as time goes by his service and product will get better the more people that send him the info to analyze and get him to personalize their tune on their cars the better it will get, my tune is also slightly rich.
However I live on the other side of the world and it was plug and play and it worked and worked well enough for me to be happy with the results until I install my new Link ECU which should get a lot more HP with the other new mods coming.
I was also running on 95 octane and i never do that, it is always BP 98 but couldn't find the correct service station on the way to the tuners shop. he wasn't impressed as he reckoned it makes a difference.
So attached are the Dynos which were on the RDX thread back in Nov 2012 mods before Dyno are for comparison for your own mods;
SOS enlarged Throttle Body matched inlet port to aid flow (dremeled it out still needs some attention)
K&N Filter and DF fender scoop with the Procar tube instead of the bellows blocked off the oil feed thingy into TB.
Dali Habanero chip
Taitec headers
STMPO Messiah exhaust (no cats)
ATI Super dampener
ACT clutch and lightweight flywheel with NSX R gears on 18 rears in case that makes any difference for discussion which it shouldn't (it was a hub Dyno)
View attachment 111961View attachment 111961
Hope this helps for some of you as a direct comparison to what I have done and what you are about to do I got 8 HP from old to new could have been more with better fuel, will be more with an aftermarket ECU.

I'm working on this for you Scammy in my limited free time. I will have something soon for you bud :wink: I will be done with school soon and will finally have time to poor my time and energy in all the projects again =) Hang in there everyone... it's well worth it!

I also would like to see the difference between the OEM injectors and the RDX MOD on my car. I have one of the PROSPEED RDX Injector kits. I had my NSX DYNO'd this summer. It was done on a Mustang Dyno.

Here is how my car is set up: I have a 91 NSX (120K miles) with a Cantrell fender intake, Stock Air Box w/UNI Filter, Stock Engine w/OEM Honda ECU Chip, NA2 Headers Ceramic coated inside and out, NA2 OEM Cats, ARK DT-X exhaust. I run Ethanol FREE 90 octane fuel.

We did three pulls, 230/232/234 rear wheel HP.

My intent was to install the RDX Kit and then get back to the DYNO, but work and home got in the way. I now have baseline DYNO information when I get the kit installed.

Brad

Last edited:
I have had my tune now for about a year. I dyno'd the car 2 months ago and got 248 at the wheels with this mod. This is also at altitiude (6000ft Alb, NM. The REAL Mile High City!). I am waiting to see what the "new" tune will do. Car has Cantrell intake/Uni-filter, Comptec Headers and TaiTech exhaust with prospeed chip.

Last edited:
Check out my results here post#583 pg 24 http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...eed-rdx-injectors-amp-ecu-rom-tune-kit/page24

I too am waiting on the updated tune from Brian as you can see from my dyno runs in the link there are some areas that need to be smoothed out along with the idle issue that some of us have experienced. Enjoying my tune though and looking forward to possibly some more HP & TQ squeezed out of this tune!

there are some areas that need to be smoothed out along with the idle issue that some of us have experienced.

I think that I may have run onto a possible problem area with the installation of the RDX injector with the NSX intake. It has to do with the ability, or lack there of, of the RDX injector to have an air tight seal with the intake manifold. That is all I will say right now until I can produce other evidence. This will be a winter project for me.
Brad

Back