• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wheels and tire fitment

jrd here with questions about wheels and tires. Currently there is a staggerred set up on this car (95 NSX) with 17" up front and 18" in the back. With my S2000 I ran staggered for width front to back but 17" all around. Many of the guys I tracked with ran what they would call "4 square" meaning that all of the wheels and tires were the same front to back. My question is what do most of you guys run? I am thinking of running "4 square" and going to Enkei wheels (PF01) and B F Goodie high performance street/track for the rubber. this would save me from street to track to rain change and two additional sets of wheels. Again, I would like to hear what you run and why? thanks, jrd.

You can't run the same size wheels and tires front and back in the NSX. The car was designed to have larger wheels and tires (larger outer diameter, and wider) in the rear than in the front, and the proper operation of the TCS depends on it. Also, the hub diameter is different front vs rear, so they need wheels with different center bores front vs rear. (The hub is the part of the car's chassis that the wheel "hangs" on, and the center bore is the diameter of the big hole in the very center of the wheel, that fits over the hub.) There are some fitments that have the same wheel diameter front and rear, including the stock '02-05 17"/17" setup, but even with those fitments, you still need wider wheels, wider tires, and taller tire sidewalls in the rear.

The 17"/18" setup is one of the most popular setups for the NSX, and there are plenty of the very best street tires (in the "extreme performance" category) available in NSX-friendly sizes of 215/40-17 front and 255/35-18 rear (best for '94-05 NSX) or 265/35-18 rear (best for '91-93 NSX). Super-sticky street tires in those sizes include the Dunlop Direzza ZII, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R, and Falken Azenis RT-615K. The BFGoodrich extreme performance tire, the g-Force Rival, is not available in NSX-friendly 17"/18" sizes, front or rear.

Last edited:
Thanks much, I appreciate that information. I got some basic info from Tire Rack but they said nothing about the staggered fit or specific sizing requirements. Where do you get the kind of set up information that you offered in your response to my query that is so year specific?

Your photo looks like turn 3 Grattan, one of my most favorite places to play. Is that where the photo was taken? Do you have a group out of Chicago that makes its way around the midwest for varying events; If so, I would like to hear dates and places.

Thanks again, jd.

Thanks much, I appreciate that information. I got some basic info from Tire Rack but they said nothing about the staggered fit or specific sizing requirements.
Tire Rack is great at what they do, but they don't always know about model-specific specs such as the TCS requirements for the NSX.

Where do you get the kind of set up information that you offered in your response to my query that is so year specific?
I've been around the NSX community for a while. :) The TCS requirements are driven by the stock tire sizes; basically, the closer you can come to the ratio between the front and rear outer diameters, the better. On the '91-93 NSX, the outer diameter of the rear stock tire size is 7.8 percent larger than the front; on the '94-01 4.7 percent larger; and on the '02-05, 5.3 percent. Hence the slightly larger rears for the same size fronts on the '91-93.

Your photo looks like turn 3 Grattan, one of my most favorite places to play. Is that where the photo was taken? Do you have a group out of Chicago that makes its way around the midwest for varying events; If so, I would like to hear dates and places.
Good eye! That is indeed where the photo was taken. Motor City Chapter BMW CCA will be there September 19-21, and Great Lakes Lotus Club will be there October 4-5. Both clubs welcome other marques at their events.

Last edited:
Do you have a group out of Chicago that makes its way around the midwest for varying events; If so, I would like to hear dates and places.

Thanks again, jd.

Some of us are going to the Gingerman raceway on May 18th, it would be great if you can join us.

you can also run 17 all around for street /track with 255/40 on rear.

you can also run 17 all around for street /track with 255/40 on rear.
That's correct. (Although since you already have 18" rears, you may as well use them.) Note that 215/40-17 front tires are approved for wheels 7.0-8.5" wide, and 255/40-17 for 8.5-10". The stock '02-05 NSX wheels, which use those sizes, are 17x7 front and 17x9 rear.

Sorry to jump in, but if I wanted to run 17" all around I supposed it can't be called "SQUARED SETUP" as the fronts would have different width and offset: what would these be?
Thanks!

Sorry to jump in, but if I wanted to run 17" all around I supposed it can't be called "SQUARED SETUP" as the fronts would have different width and offset: what would these be?
I don't know if there's a name for that. (It sounds like that's what you're asking.)

As noted above, the fronts would also have a different center bore from the rears.

nsxtasy thanks for jumping in, not looking for a name in particular but mainly what would the offset and the width be in case I wanted to go for a 17" setup. JWMelvin gave me his which seems to fit well.

Yes. As noted above, the tire sizes you want are 215/40-17 and 255/40-17, which can be used on widths of 7.0-8.5" and 8.5"-10.0" respectively. I'd lean towards anything between 17x7 and 17x8 in front, and 17x9 to 17x10 in the rear. Don't know offhand about which offsets work the best with which widths, other than that you need to get the right offset for the right width (since they work together in determining the positioning of the wheel on the car).

Guys,

Ok, I went out and looked at what is actually on the car: front 215-40 17 and rear 265-35 18. I went to pull the front tire off and the wheels hang up on the hub; almost a press fit. the wheels are not my favorite although I believe they are a pretty good wheel-2 piece, Kinesis Motor Sport; I prefer the looks of the Enkei over the wheels currently on the car.

Question: This car has very low miles and has not been run a lot over the past few years; how big a concern are belts and hoses for rot and cracking from lack of use?

- - - Updated - - -

Why is offset so important? I thought the offset had to do with wheel cleareance around the calipers?

- - - Updated - - -

Why is offset so important? I thought the offset had to do with wheel cleareance around the calipers?

Ok, I went out and looked at what is actually on the car: front 215-40 17 and rear 265-35 18. I went to pull the front tire off and the wheels hang up on the hub; almost a press fit. the wheels are not my favorite although I believe they are a pretty good wheel-2 piece, Kinesis Motor Sport; I prefer the looks of the Enkei over the wheels currently on the car.
That's the kind of fit you need. Assuming the rear wheels are also a perfect fit for the different-size hub in the rear.

Question: This car has very low miles and has not been run a lot over the past few years; how big a concern are belts and hoses for rot and cracking from lack of use?
There are lots of topics on the boards about this. If your timing belt and radiator hoses have never been changed, I would do those right away. 19-year-old belts and hoses have a tendency to dry out and crack or otherwise fail. The timing belt could be a catastrophic failure (VERY expensive, possibly requiring an engine replacement). The hoses will give warning when they fail, but even so, it will probably be at an inconvenient time and place, and if you continue to drive after they do, the engine can overheat and again become a very expensive failure.

If they have already been changed, it depends how long it's been. Acura's recommendation for the timing belt replacement on your '95 is 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. I'd do the cooling system hoses at the same time, since you're probably replacing the water pump and flushing the coolant anyway, when you do the timing belt.

No, it doesn't. Offset is the measurement for the positioning of the wheel, sticking out from the car or "sucked into" the wheel wells. It works with the width to determine clearance in the wheel wells (not the spokes clearing the calipers, but the outer "barrels" of the wheels clearing the suspension and the tires clearing the inner wheel wells) because it measures the distance between the center of the wheel and its mounting surface, as illustrated here:

offset.gif

Last edited:
That's the kind of fit you need. Assuming the rear wheels are also a perfect fit for the different-size hub in the rear.

There are lots of topics on the boards about this. If your timing belt and radiator hoses have never been changed, I would do those right away. 19-year-old belts and hoses have a tendency to dry out and crack or otherwise fail. The timing belt could be a catastrophic failure (VERY expensive, possibly requiring an engine replacement). The hoses will give warning when they fail, but even so, it will probably be at an inconvenient time and place, and if you continue to drive after they do, the engine can overheat and again become a very expensive failure.

If they have already been changed, it depends how long it's been. Acura's recommendation for the timing belt replacement on your '95 is 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. I'd do the cooling system hoses at the same time, since you're probably replacing the water pump and flushing the coolant anyway, when you do the timing belt.

No, it doesn't. Offset is the measurement for the positioning of the wheel, sticking out from the car or "sucked into" the wheel wells. It works with the width to determine clearance in the wheel wells (not the spokes clearing the calipers, but the outer "barrels" of the wheels clearing the suspension and the tires clearing the inner wheel wells) because it measures the distance between the center of the wheel and its mounting surface, as illustrated here:

offset.gif
you sir certainly know your stuff about this car! I hope I run into you at an event so thatv I can sit at your feet and learn; call me weed hopper!

To anyone still following: just got back from a 3 day skip barber school at Sebring-had a great time and came back with lots of things to work on and to think about. And, when it comes to my car I have had plenty to think about. My main concern that has developed since I got the car is the lack of use and the rotting of rubber in the form of tires, belts and hoses. So. I've decided that it is just not worth taking any chances and will be pursuing a program of bringing maintenance up to date before taking the car out to the track and leaning on it right out of the box. I have survey scheduled next week and hope to get a good idea of where the car sits right now. My goal will be to get the car ready for a couple of late fall campaigns to Grattan, Road America, Mid Ohio and Mosport; still pretty ambitious! One mechanic recommended a pressure and compression test as a very important meter; wonder what you all think? Tires will also be on the list. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

When you mention rotting tires I'd put that over the compression and leak down test... Assuming everything is fine and you're not blowing smoke that smells like coolant at start up or anything odd happening a compression and leak down is just for a peace of mind. I had one done though when I had it at Larry B's for maintenance though for a piece of mind and starting point. Next time I take it to larry I'll have him do the same thing.

TCS is traction control system. Can't comment on if you should leave it on or off for Hpde but I'd assume off 'Meaning hit that tcs button to turn the light on'.

Last edited:
Ok, more questions:
1) What is a good camber/caster set up for this car for track, but not so aggressive that it won't work for street as well?
2) I've been searching for tires but am not finding sizes front and rear with the heavy sidewalls that nsxtasy is calling out. Been to Discount and been to Bell Tire. Bell has some BFG Comp 2'sand some Toyo R888. Does anyone have any good tire recommendations?

- - - Updated - - -

Cool Photo, what are you doing here? As a vendor, what do you supply?

- - - Updated - - -

That was to Sduff. (sorry, not real adept at using these forums and how to respond to people and comments-learning as I go!

2) I've been searching for tires but am not finding sizes front and rear with the heavy sidewalls that nsxtasy is calling out. Been to Discount and been to Bell Tire. Bell has some BFG Comp 2'sand some Toyo R888. Does anyone have any good tire recommendations?
Your question was already answered:

You can't run the same size wheels and tires front and back in the NSX. The car was designed to have larger wheels and tires (larger outer diameter, and wider) in the rear than in the front, and the proper operation of the TCS depends on it. Also, the hub diameter is different front vs rear, so they need wheels with different center bores front vs rear. (The hub is the part of the car's chassis that the wheel "hangs" on, and the center bore is the diameter of the big hole in the very center of the wheel, that fits over the hub.) There are some fitments that have the same wheel diameter front and rear, including the stock '02-05 17"/17" setup, but even with those fitments, you still need wider wheels, wider tires, and taller tire sidewalls in the rear.

The 17"/18" setup is one of the most popular setups for the NSX, and there are plenty of the very best street tires (in the "extreme performance" category) available in NSX-friendly sizes of 215/40-17 front and 255/35-18 rear (best for '94-05 NSX) or 265/35-18 rear (best for '91-93 NSX). Super-sticky street tires in those sizes include the Dunlop Direzza ZII, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R, and Falken Azenis RT-615K.
I never buy tires from a tire store. Chances are, they don't have what you want in stock, and they'll try to sell you some tire that's not what you really need.

You should be able to order the Dunlop and Yokohama tires at Tire Rack, and the Yokohama and Falken tires at Discount Tire Direct.

Neither of the two tires you mention is available in the 215/40-17 front size you need. Also, the COMP-2 is a much lower performance tire than you ought to be using on an NSX, especially on the track. The R888 is an R compound track tire, which you may not be ready for. And since neither is available in the front size you need, they're not a good choice anyway.

Back