• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

On the Fence About Buying a new NSX - Help me Decide

I agree with the F430 idea. The maintenance of the 430 is a lot cheaper than the 360 if I recall correctly. The 360 requires an engine-out service does it not? F430 still looks decently modern, has a bit more power and sounds amazing. Plus,their prices are pretty reasonable nowadays. Even the Scuderias are venturing into the ~160's last time I checked.

I agree with the F430 idea. The maintenance of the 430 is a lot cheaper than the 360 if I recall correctly. The 360 requires an engine-out service does it not? F430 still looks decently modern, has a bit more power and sounds amazing. Plus,their prices are pretty reasonable nowadays. Even the Scuderias are venturing into the ~160's last time I checked.

The 360 does not require an engine out service, it is the 355 you are thinking of. The 360 & 430 share a lot of similarities

As the OP already stated, when going with a 6spd the differences in the F430 are not that great. In my view the F430 got the F1 transmission correct whereas it was weak in the 360. The OP says he even feels that the 6spd is superior in the 360 compared to the 430 and I see no reason to argue with his experience. As such, that rules out a 430 for him.

I tend to agree. At least for me the manual transmission in the 360 is a far better combination than the manual in the F430. The improvements in the F430 really compliment the F1 transmission whereas the 360 was still designed to work with the manual transmission, and the 360 version of the F1 was rather crude compared to today's more modern interpretations of the F1.

And posters are correct, the 360 doesn't need an engine out service. It does require new engine belts every 15K miles or 3-5 years depending on use. While that is an expense, it's not terrible. The bigger issue with the F430 is CCB brakes. If they need replacing the cost for brakes/rotors can reach $20K. Yes, that's not a typo.

All in all at today's prices the 360 spider is a great value, with the large unknown being unexpected repairs. But, as many have noted, the cost of a 360 will likely be far less than the depreciation costs of a new NSX. I'm still on the fence, but we'll see what happens.

I have the same dilemma about NSX version 3. I don't know anything about the car yet and I am having problem deciding if I should buy the version 2 and keep it, or to trade that in when version 3 comes out. On paper, the version 2 drives very well but the exhaust note sucks. I am thinking about switching out the electric motor and put a CBR1000RR engine in it. Since the car has not come out yet, I am having sleepless nights worrying about its shortcomings and planning the mod list.
Steve

crack up.
watch this video this is the sort of thing coming to the new NSX (yes i know this is the Merc F1 engine).
[video]http://worldsport.blogs.cnn.com/2014/04/17/whats-the-secret-to-mercedes-f1-success/[/video]
if you think that you still dont want a sorted powertrain based on these future concepts in the new NSX maybe there will be no pleasing you

What is this new rumor (told to the dealers at their recent meeting) that the NSX will only be allowed to be ordered on-line and then picked up at your local Acura dealership. How is this going to work? What about those who gave a dealer a deposit??
Didn't some states just ban Tesla from selling cars, in this manner, directly over the internet ? :confused:

Different scenario than Tesla..... no Tesla "authorized" dealers - only factory direct stores.

My understanding is only certain Acura dealers (independently owned) who ante up for special service equipment
& dedicated showroom area will sell the new NSX. I believe each one of these dealers purchases a car for demo/show & tell.
Customer specs his car then waits for delivery. No inventory on the ground.

On line is probably an alternate way to build the car.

Different scenario than Tesla..... no Tesla "authorized" dealers - only factory direct stores.

My understanding is only certain Acura dealers (independently owned) who ante up for special service equipment
& dedicated showroom area will sell the new NSX. I believe each one of these dealers purchases a car for demo/show & tell.
Customer specs his car then waits for delivery. No inventory on the ground.
On line is probably an alternate way to build the car.

This similar type of dealership arrangement has not worked out very well for selling the new Viper. They are basically sucking wind due to these these 'exclusive' type dealerships.
This type of special dealership scenario will also make ownership annoying, if you cannot service your car without making a trip to a distant NSX Specialty Dealer. Sounds like a service disaster in the making. I won't buy a car that can't be serviced locally!! This is a dumb idea.

You don't have to worry about depreciation. Ted Klaus himself has said they will limit production numbers. My bet, if anything, is it will come on cheap like the GTR did, and quickly escalate over a few years. This is standard Japanese practice. It's also how you get stellar magazine reviews.... Make the car seem a complete bargain. The GTR came in at 69, it's now 110. The original NSX came in at 59, went to 89. The original lexus LS, the Q45, these all came in cheap the first year. That creates a ton of demand. If you are an early buyer you will probably do well.

Also although it may not be as visceral or old-school as your Ferrari, remember that Acura and Ted klaus have said they are targeting the 458, and that the man machine connection is the MOST important. I don't think he is bullshitting. This car will be a drivers car. Also it will absolutely kill your 360 in terms of speed, and that is thrilling on its own.

Last edited:
Again, thanks to all for the replies and comments - all are appreciated. I've been looking at alternatives to my 360 spider since my last post, and to be frank there aren't very many choices.

The new Alfa 4C looks great, but the reviews aren't very encouraging. And my prior Alfa history (I've owned 3 - 1986 GTV-6; 1995 164LS, 1991 Spider) suggests that buying the first year of a new Alfa is an exercise best left to those with a strong stomach. At launch the cars will be priced at $70K or so - not an insignificant amount for a beautiful, but potentially mechanically untested machine.

Surprisingly, Aston Martin is offering a newly reduced price Vantage at $100K, nearly $40K lower than the current car. Apparently they are trying to reduce their parts inventory and salvaging whatever they can before a fully new model emerges. The Astons I've driven have all looked wonderful, but drive less than wonderful. If this were my pick, I'd spec it with the manual transmission, avoiding what I recall was a pretty unimpressive F1 type transmission (rough shifting, not quick to shift, really awful). It will depreciate, no doubt, but it is "age appropriate" and still a car that can be described as "eye candy". The reality is that I don't really drive aggressively much any more, and comfort and "style" are nice features (don't get old - it changes your perspective).

The new Jaguar F type Coupe (my preference) base model with some extra toys is near $80K, and that's with the base engine. Oddly the interior colors seem limited to black (some with contrast stitching) and red. I'm a tan kind of guy - bummer. Even though it's a possibility, it's not a "gotta have it" car.

The new Maserati Ghibli is a different animal altogether. More of a family car than a sports car, but it's Italian and I had to add it to the list. Even starting with a base car when you add the expected options you're again close to $80K - hard to justify.

The new Corvette and 2015 Mustang are "American Iron" with all that implies, both good and bad. On a spec sheet they are attractive, but I've never been drawn to either - call me a snob, probably true, but they don't really appeal except on price.

BMW M4 may be a contender, but again a different animal and not really a contender, but still an interesting car in the $80K range.

Someone mentioned an Audi R8 - a very nice package, but I'd have a hard time going from a Ferrari 360 to a R8. And given some friend's experience with Audi cars as they approach 5-6 years of age they seem to develop an appetite for visiting the service bay regularly. I'd rather pay to service the Ferrari, especially since depreciation should be minimal.

The new BMW i8 seems interesting, but frankly I'm not so sure I'd rate it above the NSX. Looks are fine, but I've owned many BMWs and like Audi they don't tend to age very gracefully.

So, I'm still in the hunt with the NSX. It's a matter of price and availability. The dealer says I'm #4 on the list, but until he starts taking cash deposits who knows where I'll wind up. He seems to think that delivery will realistically be Q1 2015. If the car's priced at $125K or less, it still seems like a very reasonable proposition. The key to me will be steering feel. Nothing I've ever driven has the steering feel of a Ferrari (sorry, but you know I'm pretty biased).

Thanks again for the suggestions and help. I am anxious to actually see and touch the new car. Even if the wait is a year or so, I can live with that if it's the right car.

The key to me will be steering feel. Nothing I've ever driven has the steering feel of a Ferrari (sorry, but you know I'm pretty biased).

I don't think you can beat a Ferrari for steering feel on any day. but on top of that, it's one of the few cars left not routing power through the front wheels..

So, I'm still in the hunt with the NSX. It's a matter of price and availability. The dealer says I'm #4 on the list, but until he starts taking cash deposits who knows where I'll wind up. He seems to think that delivery will realistically be Q1 2015. If the car's priced at $125K or less, it still seems like a very reasonable proposition. The key to me will be steering feel. Nothing I've ever driven has the steering feel of a Ferrari (sorry, but you know I'm pretty biased).

Thanks again for the suggestions and help. I am anxious to actually see and touch the new car. Even if the wait is a year or so, I can live with that if it's the right car.

I think you are on the right path. Everyone wants to complain or nitpick about the new NSX or even old one, but if you sit down and really think about it, what other car out there in this large sea of expensive cars (like you just broke down) truly offers what the NSX is trying to achieve??? It's the closest thing you will get to a Ferrari fighter, and of course the price is going to be a bit more attractive.

Just don't be caught off guard if the price is closer to $150K! Although I think it'll start closer to $125K and slowly increase to $150K over the years.

Back