• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Battery and Emission Test

I had to buy a new battery for my 2000 NSX since the old one doesn't seem to charge anymore (had it out of the car during winter, plugged it into a charger a few days back, but won't charge).

With the new battery in, I read in another thread from Larry B that you need to drive the car for 100+ miles before the OBDII "re-learns" properly and be ready for emission test.

Since I imported the car from US last Nov just before it started snowing, I got an extension from RIV to do the safety/etest/registration by end of May this year. So I need to do the emission test now.

In other words.... I am SCREWED! I have to drive 100+ miles without plates before I am ready to do the etest and get plates.

I'd hate having to explain that to a cop!... me::frown: cop::confused: .. then :eek:... then :mad:

Use the same trick that you did when you picked up the car in Toronto last year....I don't think that you have to drive for a 100 Miles before all the parameters are set, 30-40 Km should do the trick.

Bram

You'll need to read up very carefully on the cycles the car has to go through to be ready for the test. Some of which may include running the climate control and AC, using cruise control and idling for an extended period of time.

You may also want to invest in an OBDII scanner that reads readiness codes just for your peace of mind.

You'll need to read up very carefully on the cycles the car has to go through to be ready for the test. Some of which may include running the climate control and AC, using cruise control and idling for an extended period of time.

You may also want to invest in an OBDII scanner that reads readiness codes just for your peace of mind.

The problem is there are too many procedures out there each telling you to do something different. Turn AC on, idle for 15 min, drive to 55, then turn AC off, etc etc.

Can't tell which procedure is right. That's why I'm trusting Larry B's comment of driving for 100+ miles.

OBDII scanner is a good idea. I'm off to Canadian tire to get one...

Last edited:
Make sure you get one that reads readiness codes. Not all of them do.

Emission readiness code? None of them do, they show green red or yellow lights for emission readiness , and read the engine diagnosis code. Which code are you referring to?

- - - Updated - - -

What they don't tell you on that site is that before giving you a temp sticker they need inspection done and etest passed if the vehicle is being imported. Believe me, I was furious when they told me to go get my car inspected at Canadian Tire and come back. I asked them how am I supposed to drive to Canadian Tire, they said get it towed there, we don't care.

Another government process created by idiots.

@Eddie, here are all the Innova ODB2 scanners. The ones that do emission readiness test only show red/green/yellow light. Is there a code behind the emission readiness?

20140416_153534.jpg

20140416_153539.jpg

In other words.... I am SCREWED! I have to drive 100+ miles without plates before I am ready to do the etest and get plates.

I'd hate having to explain that to a cop!... me::frown: cop::confused: .. then :eek:... then :mad:

They don't sell 1 day temporary insurance? In BC we get a piece of paper we just stick on the rear window for them to see.

Ok so I connected my new $250 OBD sensor to the car and it said "There are currently no DTC's in the vehicle's computer". And the System Status light went yellow.

I called Innova support and they said it means I have to do a cycle reset. According to them this means driving the car around for 2 days.

Last edited:
Would you recommend a battery? Acura dealer or Canadian Tire?

I bought this from Canadian Tire. Seems pretty good, high cranking power, and 5 years warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

Bram, guess what, I got pulled over!!... 10 years in Ottawa never got pulled over, first 20 minutes in my NSX and I get pulled over and not for speeding, for driving with expired plates. Thank God the cop was in a good mood, I told him I was on my way to get etest and register the car, and convinced him that there is a flaw in Ontario laws for registry of imported vehicle. He sympathized, but still gave me an $80 ticket for driving with expired plates, which frankly is better than I thought could have happened.

... On the positive side, I drove for about 60 miles and now my OBD sensor shows green. :smile:

It the car, that he pull over to look at...consider it your contribution to the City of Ottawa budget.

Glad that it was only $80, and you are already to take the Etest and passing it.

Hope to see you at one of our events during the Summer.

Bram

Wow, I'm surprised he gave you the ticket. Glad to hear the emissions stuff is looking up.

Lucas

Let us know how your results were out of curiosity.

Sorry i didnt see this earlier. You can get temp stickers for 10 days and the cost is only $17 or so but thats what u r supposed to do if they are expired and u need to drive.

Sorry i didnt see this earlier. You can get temp stickers for 10 days and the cost is only $17 or so but thats what u r supposed to do if they are expired and u need to drive.

It's amazing how many people wrongly think that. You can only get temporary stickers if your car is already registered in Ontario.

I learnt this the hard way, based on someone's advice on Prime I drove to get my temp stickers only to be told to go get my inspection done first.

so far this has cost me $80 in tickets, 115 including tax and fees of course. But could have been worse I guess.

Last edited:
Back