• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Words of Wisdom from Instructors

I've heard great instructive one liners - or words or wisdom from instructors and others at the track. I'd like to hear the best ones you've heard or told to others.

Lime Rock has a famous corner called "Big Bend". It was raining and cold. I went off; first lap, second session, of course. No damage.

Here is the the word of wisdom I received: When it is raining and cold take 3 warm up laps.

Later in the week, I pulled a nice clump of Lime Rock grass out of my pivot control clamp and decided to plant it to "keep my memory green". As you can see it's doing quite well.

Best lines?

big bend 1.jpg

Pick your acceleration points and work backwards to adjust your braking points so that you can then get back on the gas where you want.

What I tell noobs:

"If you learn nothing else today, the best thing you can take away from today is adjusting where you look. Eyes always scanning, looking further down the track and through the next turns, way further than you probably are used to". Then we do a few laps where I tell them where to look, usually always very early: "Braking markers. Turn-in point. Now apex. Now track out. Now next braking point." And it's usually way, way sooner than they were looking.

For later in the day:"To be smoother laterally, move your turn-in points back a couple of feet at a time, and turn your hands slower; don't move your apex point earlier, just your turn-in point with slower hands." Then, once they've gotten that idea, "Now start moving your apex a little earlier until you start risking running out of room on the exit" (of course, depending on the car, we'll typically do this last part more in a momentum car.)

After crashing a few years ago in a pristine '92 NSX with a 16-year-old driver, first braking zone, first hot lap, first hot session of the day, I started using another line:

"Your primary job today is to NOT injure your instructor." (With a serious look followed by a smile.)

Smooth is fast and fast is smooth.

"This is not a RACE", unless of course you are at a race.

I have to remind myself this from time to time, the group I run with have zero passing rules and sometimes I forget I am there to have fun and so are the others guys on track.

Dave

My instructor said "That is the most sideways I have ever been without spinning". :)

"Nice save, ....by the way... There is no such thing as a bad save"
After getting sideways at Great Plains Raceway...

"don't try to impress me, you won't. don't try to scare me, I already am."

- - - Updated - - -

"Oversteer is hitting the wall with the back of the car, understeer is hitting the wall with the front..."

- - - Updated - - -

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

- - - Updated - - -

"Never run out of real estate, ideas and traction at the same time."

- - - Updated - - -

"Wide open until you see God, then brake."

Last edited:
"don't try and impres me, you won't. don't try and scare me, I already am."

- - - Updated - - -

"Oversteer is hitting the wall with the back of the car, understeer is hitting the wall with the front..."

- - - Updated - - -

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

- - - Updated - - -

"Never run out of real estate, ideas and traction at the same time."

- - - Updated - - -

"Wide open until you see God, then brake."

Almost pee'd myself reading this one.

The best one I have ever heard was just after a GT3 driver stuffed his car into the wall in the S's at COTA.

"Obviously the car is not up to my abilities"

Dave

"Squeeze the throttle, don't stab it."

"Look ahead to where you want the car to go."

Managed a 2:09 on street rubber at HPR before the HG blew last year.

............you can drive on the grass.

Damm, you guys have grass ?

............you can drive on the grass.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL

The best one I have ever heard was just after a GT3 driver stuffed his car into the wall in the S's at COTA.

"Obviously the car is not up to my abilities"

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

LOL...Have to remember this one

"don't try to impress me, you won't. don't try to scare me, I already am."

Last edited:
Back