• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 NSX Automatic Transmission Question

I just recently purchased a 1991 NSX, automatic with approximately 119,000 miles. Over the weekend, I was driving the NSX and it started jumping out of drive. Once you could stop the car and turn the ignition off and restart it, it would function in drive for about 4 or 5 miles and do the same thing.

Has anyone ever had the same problem and if so, does a 1991 NSX have a switch that would control the shifting of the automatic transmission.

Any suggestions or advice would be greately appreciated.

prez3333

I used to own an automatic. The transmissions are known to be troublesome and usually require rebuilding or replacement every 70k or so (conventional wisdom). It sounds like yours might be coming up on that. Has it been rebuilt in the past?

has the 'D' in the dash been flashing, or not coming on at all? if you short the blue service connector you can see if there are any error codes stored...

transmissions are no different from pretty much any other honda autobox in design, they don't have conventional 'bands' but have clutch-packs for each gear, they are more manual with a torque converter than traditional auto! just people seem to run scared or just slag them off!

pm mcano he had one which he tracked until the tranny gave up.There are only a few auto owners who post regularly.

I used to own an automatic. The transmissions are known to be troublesome and usually require rebuilding or replacement every 70k or so (conventional wisdom). It sounds like yours might be coming up on that. Has it been rebuilt in the past?
Well that sucks. I just got mine with 75k-ish miles. Haven't had any issues so far as I know. Are there any specific signs I should be looking out for?

I have a Auto 91 with 77k on it now. I luckily haven't had any issues. Even took it on the skid pad and beat on it no problem. But I just had a dyno done before the CTSC install and it shows a small possible slip at 6k roughly in 3rd gear. So I might be looking at having to do a rebuild in the future.

Good luck finding your answers. Please let us know what you find out.

i had mine rebuilt by a local firm when mine was showing 117k miles. mine basically lost drive in fourth after the 4th gear clutch pack gave up the ghost!

the gearbox architecture is no different from any other honda product of the time.

whenever anyone has asked 'auto'questions, the usual response is put a manual in it! not exactly helpful. you can use the stick to shift manually...

have you checked the trans fluid level? (obvious i know but no-ones suggested it yet!)

Britlude,

I'm looking at rebuilding my auto real soon.
if you don't mind sharing, who did you get to do the work, and what did it cost you?

i'm in the UK, so not a lot of help to you, my rebuild cost me £1300 with 2 year 24,000 mile warranty

again, not a lot of help for your side of the atlantic!

Back