• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake questions - wrong brakes

Ordered OEM front rotors and pads for my 99. Local shop comes to put them on, tell me rotors are too big......

Definitely have the right parts, two dealers confirmed this.

So, seems I may have the smaller NA1 rotors.

Questions:

1) Dealer tells me there are calipers for 91-94, 95-96, 97-2001. I guess also 2002-2005. Are they just different part numbers or are they truly different? If so, which ones?

2) Is there a part number stamped on the calipers?

3) How interchangeable are the brake parts?

Trying to figure out what I really have before throwing copious amounts of cash at the problem (i.e. new NA2 calipers, and maybe new rims).

Unclear if previous owner(s) did this because:

a) tracked the car to keep cost and weight down
b) was offered a great deal on NA1 brakes
c) had issues clearing the Antera rims with NA2 brakes (local shop said there seem to be a lot of free space behind them though).

TIA

There is no need to get new calipers. For the fronts, your cheapest option is to get a pair of 97+ brackets from AS Motorsports in the Netherlands. You might want to check the size on the rears. 97+ rear brackets are harder to come by.

can you measure the disc's. 282mm vs 298mm front and 282mm vs 302mm rear.
all interchangeable depending on what combo you want it's just the piston sizes inside that are different and the longer or shorter brackets for the smaller or larger rotors.
And definitely contact Adnan if you want brackets to run the larger rotors, i got mine from him and he is a very good vendor.

Thanks guys, all very helpful. I'll post back with what we find today.

Did you buy your NSX used? Since your car is a 99, it should have had the larger rotors from 97+. It sounds like someone swapped the brakes and used 91-96 parts. Perhaps at one point this car had a BBK and the owner sold his original brakes, then just swapped in 91-96 parts when selling the car. Anyway, is your rear brakes original 97+ or 91-96 parts too? Easy way to check is to look at the rear caliper bracket. If its straight is a 97+. If curved it's a 91-96.

Front rotors are ~282mm. Haven't been able to check the rears yet. Now have a new set of 282mm rotors and new pads on the front until I decide what to do. Will list the NA2 front rotors at my cost or return them to Augusta Acura. Thx all!

1) Dealer tells me there are calipers for 91-94, 95-96, 97-2001. I guess also 2002-2005. Are they just different part numbers or are they truly different? If so, which ones?
The '97-05 are truly different from the '91-96, with different rotor diameters and different piston diameters in the calipers. The '02-05 differs only because the calipers are gold colored. The calipers for '91-94 are identical to the ones for '95-96.

If you really do have the calipers from the 91-96 years, I would say you lucked out (if bigger brakes are your thing). Taken from NSXTASY's old post:

"The front caliper pistons are 40 mm and 36 mm on the 1991-1996 NSX. All of these cars came with the 3.0-liter NA1 engine.
The front caliper pistons are 40 mm and 34 mm on the 1997-2005 NSX. Some of these cars came with the 3.0-liter NA1 engine and others came with the 3.2-liter NA2 engine."

I would recommend the advice of getting new brackets to allow the 97+ rotors and then you have a "mini" brake upgrade. How do your rear calipers and rotors look?
I believe the Type R runs the 91-96 front calipers and the 97-05 rear calipers.

Back