• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New amps for 1992 NSX

Marin Acura is quoting me ~$2000 to replace the 3 amps in my NSX ($200/amp + labor).
Is that the expected price for this work or should I shop around?

Jesus it cant be that much about 3 hours labor to the layman 1 hour for a NSX MECH

I would spit in the guys face if he told me 2000 that's insane LOL

That is a bit ridiculous. Shop around, BrianK or SOS can get it done cheaper, you just need to take them out.

Here's a link to an old Wiki article on how to remove the amps: http://nsxprime.com/wiki/Bose_RR
BTW .. you appear to be new around here so you might want to acquaint yourself with the other NSX Wiki content which can be found on the red action bar at the top of most pages. It's a mixture of new and sometimes out of date content, but worth your while checking it out.

My passenger side amp is busted and screeches/hisses randomly. I need to pull the door apart to send the amp over to brianK!

I checked out http://nsxprime.com/wiki/Bose_RR, and looked over the steps but I'm a little paranoid about doing this myself. How difficult is this job? Would an intermediate "hobby mechanic" be able to do this? I've worked on other cars before but mostly just installing headers, roller rockers, intake manifold gaskets, etc. Never attempted anything of that sort on the NSX though.

I'm mainly worried about snapping parts/clips, and having the door squeaking and rattling after putting it back together. :(

Briank is your man. 5 years ago I purchased an amp from Bose direct for $80.00. They had it in stock

I took out my speakers myself and it was not difficult. Be patient and take your time. My hardest part was sliding the leather cover out from behind the handle. Just follow the directions on Briank's site. I sent all 3 speakers since I have read that if 1 is broken then the other 2 are not far behind. If you want to just send the amps then you will need to open up the boxes as BrianK describes. I sent the whole thing since I wanted him to check out my speakers too. More shipping cost but at least i know everything is good to go.

I took out my speakers myself and it was not difficult. Be patient and take your time. My hardest part was sliding the leather cover out from behind the handle. Just follow the directions on Briank's site. I sent all 3 speakers since I have read that if 1 is broken then the other 2 are not far behind. If you want to just send the amps then you will need to open up the boxes as BrianK describes. I sent the whole thing since I wanted him to check out my speakers too. More shipping cost but at least i know everything is good to go.

yes, he fixed my first NSX speakers....My current NSX needs speaker fix now...How much for all three these days?

For $2000 you might as well do a full system upgrade. Double Din head unit. new speakers, and new amp!

BrianK fixed my amps on my first NSX and the CCU on my second. Great guy to deal with. You won't be disappointed!

Back