• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Harness belt, collars, installation

Guys I have Dave's harness bar and sub belt bar, and a set of schroth 6 points I am trying to install on the OEM seats. I know I need to get collars for the shoulder belts, is there anything specific anyone recommends?

Also I did a pretty thorough search, thinking this subject has been discussed many times but I still can't find detailed instructions on harness installation onto the bar. Obviously this is one thing you don't want to screw up. Cam anyone guide me to the right place for this? A number of local shops are telling me NOT TO do a harness with the OEM seat, citing the slippage of the shoulder belts as the problem. When I mention collars they sort of mumble something and still don't like it. It's making me a bit nervous.

Thanks for any help.

I did exactly this recently. I bought two-piece aluminum collars from McMaster and they worked fine. There is very little space between the seat and the harness bar, which makes it all a bit awkward, but it works.

The shoulder straps can go under the headrest, which is tight. So I have not had a problem with the straps slipping out. Since the bar and collars are so close, I figure that a strap between the two harness straps to prevent spreading is unnecessary. I have the collars as close together as possible to create convergence in the harness straps but given the tight spacing, not a lot is possible.

I have a thread where I posted some pictures. Edit: looks like I didn't have the collars in when I took the pictures:
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1771732

If it would help I'm happy to take more pictures with the final setup.

Does anyone know, by the way, what the little strap, with a bit of Velcro on it, coming down from the headrest is? It seems so odd to me and for a while made me think the headrest was sewn to the seat.

-Jason

Last edited:
Ti- Dave sent me to link below when I asked about collars for his anti-subs -- He said his subs are 7/8" OD.
Not sure what the exact OD is of the harness bar itself -
McMaster has them too --

Link

Thanks Dave.

Ti- Dave sent me to link below when I asked about collars for his anti-subs -- He said his subs are 7/8" OD.
Not sure what the exact OD is of the harness bar itself -
McMaster has them too --

Link

Do we also need collars for the sub belt bar?

- - - Updated - - -

Or is what Jason did with the two holes satisfactory:

IMG_1136_zps5c0106d2.jpg

Thanks Dave.

Do we also need collars for the sub belt bar?

- - - Updated - - -

Or is what Jason did with the two holes satisfactory:

IMG_1136_zps5c0106d2.jpg
That looks great, good job!

- - - Updated - - -

McMaster seems to be cheaper, and Aluminum seems appropriate given the application.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/1184/
http://www.mcmaster.com/#6436K74
Yes, that's a good part to use.

The steel were the first to come up in a 5 second search...

So no sub belt bar collars needed? I will do my seat just like that^^

Bump... Do I need to collar the sub belt bar guys?

I really didn't see a need or use for them. There is no way the sub straps are going to pinch in past the edges of the two holes.

Awesome. Thanks. And thanks for the pics and that write up.

I wrestled with the same thing a while ago- I had alcantara done for the inserts and that helped a lot as far as the sliding around goes. I had the shop ready to cut belt slots in the seat back and I found out you cannot just get holes for The shoulder belts cut into the seats due to the fact that there are steel bars inside the seat that hold the headrest extensions. So i had the shop make some nylon loops tied in to the top of the seat- its a loop of webbing that goes around the post for the headrest- that hold the shoulder belt inplace. I have Ti Dave's anti sub bars also - the bar is so close to the seat bottom that I felt that there was really not much of a chance of the belt sliding around like on the harness bar.Don't forget to cover the sharp edges of where you cut the aluminum seat.

I wrestled with the same thing a while ago- I had alcantara done for the inserts and that helped a lot as far as the sliding around goes. I had the shop ready to cut belt slots in the seat back and I found out you cannot just get holes for The shoulder belts cut into the seats due to the fact that there are steel bars inside the seat that hold the headrest extensions. So i had the shop make some nylon loops tied in to the top of the seat- its a loop of webbing that goes around the post for the headrest- that hold the shoulder belt inplace. I have Ti Dave's anti sub bars also - the bar is so close to the seat bottom that I felt that there was really not much of a chance of the belt sliding around like on the harness bar.Don't forget to cover the sharp edges of where you cut the aluminum seat.

Do you have any pics of what you did?

Back