• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question for Porsche guys - 996 vs 997...

I am trying to get opinions from those who have owned them - is the 997 worth the extra $$$? Is the 996 really a better car?

Looking at a 996 or 997 turbo.

Car will definitely be driven daily and in all weather. Please feel free to post any known issues with either car.

Thanks!

I would go 997. Both megzer engines, the 997 interior is still nice re today's standards IMO. the 996 interior feels older then Nsx interior. Also IMO the styling of the 996 with the teardrop headlights makes it look very off In the overall Porsche family of cars.

I would go 997. Both megzer engines, the 997 interior is still nice re today's standards IMO. the 996 interior feels older then Nsx interior. Also IMO the styling of the 996 with the teardrop headlights makes it look very off In the overall Porsche family of cars.

+1 on the 997.

The 997 interior is much more luxurious and the exterior body is a lot more pleasing to the eye than the 996 version.

BTW: There are 997.1 as well 997.2 Turbo's, the GT1 block on the 997.1 does have some issues RMS as well as the epoxy glued coolant hose coming off (just like the one on the 996) compared to the DFI engine block on the 997.2.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...o-pna-coolant-line-fittings-disclosure-2.html

Get a new GT3 RS 4.0!!! LOL. I love spending other people's money! HAHA.

Personally - The 996 Turbo has more modability than 997 Turbo. The 996 has pretty bad resale(though prices have come up lately) so you are more likely to get a better deal. As with every Porsche - Buy the latest, greatest that you can afford. They are constantly improving the product so the latest car is typically the best car but also more expensive.

Having driven both the. 996 and 997 turbo there is no comparison between the two. The 997 is better to me in every possible way. I wouldn't even consider owning a 996.

Can't go wrong with a 6 or 7 turbo, great cars

+1 on 997. The 996 looks fat, bulbous, and damn ugly at some angles. YES i know they follow the same formulas and similar curves and design etc etc (since all 911 looks the "same"), but the 997 is just much better not just in terms of looks both exterior and interior. Performance is a big step up. The AWD drivetrain is much better and much improved overall. Turbos are tweeked better and is more fuel economical. Boost comes on much smoother and linear and feels more refine (although this is barely noticable since both cars are actually pretty comfortable to live with) (and also might not be a good thing if you're looking for RAW Mechanical POWER). What makes the NSX so great is that it feels refined, great balance and suspension set up, but also it still seems raw and a true driver's car when you push it.

Lastly, if given the right budget, the GT3 might be a better option if you dont mind the lack or "luxury." Holds value just a tad bit better, crazy amount of fun, and a rev limit that will put a smile on anyone. That being said, knowing that Premium fuel here in BC is SUPER expensive (something like $1.65/L now? around $5.80 USD/Gallon) Then the GT3 might might not be as attractive. With so much revving fun the GT3 packs, i'm sure i'll see you very often at the GT3's natural feeding habitat - The Gas Station.

Regardless, Porsche is porsche. I prefer old porsches. But if i can choose a new'ish one, i'd go for 997 GT3 non RS. Just the good ol regular GT3 (will be more than enough for me). Also has to be the one with the center wheel lock, looks freaking fabulous.

Between the 996 turbo and 997, obviously, the 997 turbo wins in every category besides price. Good Luck and have fun!

Last edited:
996 is a good "value," imo.. but I could never get over those stupid headlights. Such a small detail, but ruins it for me. If you can stretch the budget, 997 all day!

Could not agree more. The headlights make the decision easy for me. 997!

Back