• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS NA2 ABS Uprade

The conversion to the ScienceofSpeed NA2 ABS System Upgrade is now underway. Gave the ABS a good workout on the Chappell Hill ride and it definitely has reached the clean solenoid
abugahed.jpg
qyry2y2e.jpg
stage. Decided to go with the 15lb weight savings and simpler/faster unit. I'll be selling my old unit if anyone is interested.

Old modulator out, new one fitted and in the car and time to hook up brake lines. I found an easy way to feed the electrics through the firewall. Soft tie with a tie down holding the harness up as far as it can go. So far easy, just takes time and patience.
nysusuhe.jpg
asuva2yr.jpg
7ybyta5y.jpg
araze7uv.jpg

NSXonwheels, it is DIY project, but you need to be reasonably mechanically inclined. The most challenging part is to empty the Accumulator which is under high pressure. Requires a special tool. However, what I did was use a long socket inverted so that I could run a tube through the center to send the fluid to a vacuum bottle from my brake bleeder kit. I then used vice grips to turn the socket. The fluid is under serious pressure so make sure the tubing is secure and catch container is secure.

Going back together. Modulator in, brakes bled and new harness all hooked up.
pupy2uhy.jpg
ve5e8ute.jpg

How hard is this to do? Can it be done with car just on jack stands and regular tools or is it not a really DIY project?
It's not hard maybe an 6-7 on the DIY 10 hard scale. A flared wrench helps and take your time. I did mine in my garage on jack stands. Solder the electrical connections to power the new ABS unit.

Last edited:
I cut off both wire harness connectors supplied by SOS after I broke a few of their soldered wires when passed through the front bulkhead. I found it easier to crimp and heat shrink each wire. The process took a while, but I'm much more confident of crimped wires since OEM wire harness connectors are crimped.

- - - Updated - - -

I put the old ALB system on EBAY and it sold very quickly for 750 USD. It's a high demand item for parts due to the high price of OEM new.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures mcrider, this is probably something most pre-99 NSX will have to do as the old systems wear out and no longer available. Not to mention the weight savings for the track junkies.

I've BEEN wanting to get this done. Nice review on the ABS system. I will hopefully get this done over the summer time.

A must-do modification IMO.

What reason most makes this mod a must do? Better braking performance? Prevent future failure? Save weight?

Is there a noticeable difference when spirited daily driving or do you have to push it to track level driving to notice an improvement?

What reason most makes this mod a must do? Better braking performance? Prevent future failure? Save weight?

Is there a noticeable difference when spirited daily driving or do you have to push it to track level driving to notice an improvement?
Yes and yes.....and yes

Last steps complete. ABS relay changed and everything back together. Some spirited driving and hard braking this evening having the ABS kick in 5 or 6 times. All I can say is WOW is it ever different. Absolutely no regrets.
ubuhesa2.jpg
heqeteze.jpg

RYU, I used the SOS kit which has all the wiring set up for plug and play (except for the power to the unit). Comes with all the brake lines that need to be replaced and full instructions.

Last steps complete. ABS relay changed and everything back together. Some spirited driving and hard braking this evening having the ABS kick in 5 or 6 times. All I can say is WOW is it ever different. Absolutely no regrets.

told you so! :)
why did you change the ABS relay?

Last edited:
Warren, yes you were correct. My car is a 97. For 95 through 99, for some reason you have to change out the ABS relay. Don't know why, but SOS says this is required.

Did a back to back 70 to 0 full ABS stop between 14 MDX and the NSX conversion. The MDX is smoother, but not by much. Have a very small weeping leak from one of the master cylinder connections I need to sort out. Still very pleased. I highly recommend this conversion.

Back