• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cambo's '91 Formula Red Refresh Build from Oz

Wow...take me a second to scrape my jaw off the ground. For a while you have a Deloren paint scheme. Can't wait formthe finished product.

Great job. Can't wait to see this painted.

Thanks for the compliments guys :)

Did some more cleaning. This area is being painted too but needs to be clean before prepping of course.

e5ysahe3.jpg

ynequser.jpg

su7esyby.jpg

I love these alloy components.
u4a5eren.jpg

Cleaned up the spare wheel bracket a little bit too.

Before:
re8yta3y.jpg

After:
8uzede5y.jpg

Subscribed. Are you spraying the car yourself? So far so good!

I'm working with a good friend of mine who is a spraypainter by trade. He's doing all the actual 'work', I'm basically just being his assistant and doing whatever he says! haha

amazing! Thanks for sharing pics!
I've actually never seen nsx panels stripped to the bare metal before

I hadn't either until I poured paint stripper on them - and the only pictures I'd seen were the ones from the Honda factory in Tochigi. The photos don't really do the bare metal look justice, it's really quite beautiful to look at.

I'm eager to see how this turns out.

I'm quite eager also! Eager may be a slight understatement from my perspective... I just want to have it back on the road!

yes it is a tedious job, unnecessary, but tedious no doubt. i have been a autobody tech for dealerships most my life. and the only time a dealer will strip a panel is if its a peeler or has some kind of contamination in the paint from the factory. for dents and repairs, its just repaired and painted and blended. no stripping. even new factory panels dont come bare. nice skills you got there, should look like glass when its done. mine has a shity re-shoot on it, and it looks like shit.

As mine had a paint job of unknown quality and unknown repairs I wanted to start again from scratch. Factory panels come with a black coated finish to prevent corrosion. Not sure in the case of new NSX panels, has anyone bought them?
The advantage of this is that any filler can be bonded directly to the bare metal, meaning far less chance of it presenting any issues down the track. As it turns out the repairs required were very minor and most small dints were able to be pushed out. The NSX alloy panels are incredibly dent resistant, far more so than steel panels. This goes both ways though - it means small dents are incredibly hard to push out compared to steel panels!

Cheers guys.

Bumper preparation. Removing all paint is always the best way if possible to avoid the paint cracking later from excess buildup of paint thickness.

Bumpers blasted with gernie removed much of the paint.
da7uzyny.jpg

Front bumper had a previous repair which will be redone properly to correct a low spot. Flexible plastic filler will be used instead of conventional body filler.

I'll probably replace this bumper eventually but the timeframe and cost doesn't allow this to happen right now. (New OEM bumper is around $2k!)

4yge8udy.jpg

adedy2a3.jpg

6a5e2yda.jpg

uvyhyjyv.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Repair in front bumper looking super smooth!

ybesarub.jpg

Great work, looking forward to seeing it on the HSCCA National run in December!!!

Because you can't have little dints in the underside of your boot lid! (trunk lid for most of you guys haha)

Repaired:
a7uneqaj.jpg

And primed up.
3e8uqa9e.jpg

Last edited:
Brett has done some amazing quality work on getting this bumper perfectly straight.

utunany6.jpg

PPG basecoat, clearcoat, thinners and hardener. Many dollars.

ezybyvaq.jpg

Brett has started blocking down the primed panels in prep for the booth which is looking like next week at this stage. Looking super smooth!

5ydevuqe.jpg

4ubygavy.jpg

jy4a4e2y.jpg

me3y3uvu.jpg

Roof and chassis prep/prime begins today!

za2ugana.jpg

5erazymy.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Roof preparation! The last of the bare aluminium to paint.

uqahujyj.jpg

vu3ema2e.jpg

5eqa6y8a.jpg

pazy3a2y.jpg

Etch primer sprayed:

e3egytar.jpg

Then primer:

upy7uvyp.jpg

avadudyh.jpg

First coat dry:
4e4y3ubu.jpg

So this weekend we got most of the final wet rubbing done on the rest of the panels, using 800 grit wet&dry.

Basically the final inspection to ensure we haven't missed any dints or imperfections in the panels. They look amazing just in primer whilst wet (it's just water).

Booth is organised for Saturday! I'll be sure to post some pics of actual paint then!!

pedybu9a.jpg

py5evuru.jpg

6agevy9e.jpg

u5a3umyj.jpg

rytu5yqe.jpg

yqe4apej.jpg

So today was a pretty big day for the car.

eqeqegug.jpg

Tedious masking job!

u6aseba3.jpg

Masked off the areas that will be red so the black basecoat could be sprayed.

y2e3u8av.jpg

Black areas sprayed

a9edeve3.jpg

Along with misc black parts

ty7e3evy.jpg

More tedious masking!

7uqade6u.jpg

Then cover the roof so the red can be sprayed.

ate9udem.jpg

ubygyzyq.jpg

y5e7asug.jpg

Unmask it all so clear can be sprayed!

tuha2yju.jpg

First coat of clear

ysuzavy3.jpg

After 2nd coat. So flat and glossy. My painter, Brett, does an incredible job.

ydysyqud.jpg

yry3a3ev.jpg

du4u3uvu.jpg

avununa9.jpg

a7eje8u6.jpg

The rest of the panels will be sprayed tomorrow!

What a huge day! I'm so excited about the results that Brett has achieved with this job. It's truly incredible quality and the phone pics just don't do it justice at all.

Unmasked the car and got it out of the booth
ara9u3aq.jpg

Obligatory reflection shot of Riley
deta4ajy.jpg

Underside of the bootlid looking awesome and even better than OEM.
7ubu9eqa.jpg

Booth load of parts
3y6ujany.jpg

And it begins! First coat of base.
dydu5umy.jpg

qa3e9uju.jpg

ere5epu5.jpg

4 coats were required to get full coverage. This meant we ran short of paint and will need to buy more to paint the remaining bumper parts! Oh well. We couldn't fit them in the booth today anyhow.

Clear coat stage. The exciting bit where the flat red turns into its glossy wet looking finished product.

ape3ymu8.jpg

ehyjuzed.jpg

End results!

8ubugemy.jpg

y2e2anun.jpg

esenepum.jpg

yme8u9yg.jpg

ehy6a5yq.jpg

ruvybeta.jpg

9y4ebane.jpg

avy5ejam.jpg

Incredible gloss straight off the gun. No orange peel here!
bugesy4y.jpg

y3udy2u6.jpg

And that's it for today folks!

Hi,

i can't find any other than "incredible" to describe your work abd attention to detail.

one thing though, on the headlight buckets, i think that there are parts that are matte black, just as with the engine bay top surroundings ;)

Nuno

Hi,

i can't find any other than "incredible" to describe your work abd attention to detail.

one thing though, on the headlight buckets, i think that there are parts that are matte black, just as with the engine bay top surroundings ;)

Nuno

Thank you for your compliments!

Yes those parts will be painted in seperately around the headlights at a later stage, I won't be leaving them red don't worry :)

I took detailed photos of the area before it was painted, I think we may do it slightly neater than the factory does!

This was the 'before' of the area -

8abanyvu.jpg

Hey guys! Sorry I've been slack updating but nothing much exciting has been happening with the build due to waiting for parts and being busy with other car things... like hillclimbing etc!

Anyway yesterday some parts arrived finally for my ABS retrofit so here they are...

ehuqatu8.jpg

jyna2yqu.jpg

Mounted in the bay
yqury2a8.jpg

ABS module in place.
qa5e9ajy.jpg

Now it's time to get the lines all in place and run the wiring harness.

Definitely subscribing to this one! :eek:

Keep up the good work!

Back