• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First time NSX buyer

Interested in buying an NSX in the next 2 years. Starting my research. Always liked the first couple of year two tone look, especially the white exterior. Not sure about buying a 20 plus year old car for a daily driver in Florida. The car would cost less than a newer one so I would have more money for upkeep. Would it be a mistake to buy an older car like that with a lot of miles as a daily driver. Alternative, could buy a 2000 one tone car for more money with less mileage. Ideas?

Buy the one you want. If a fixed roof two/tone is what lights your fire, don't compromise.

I don't think it would be a mistake at all to buy a higher mileage car and drive the snot out of it.

91-94s with less than 50K miles show up for sale here and there regularly. And there are Prime members that have more than 200K miles on their daily driven NSXs. Once you take care of a few basic issues--window regulators, climate control unit, Bose amps, etc--you should expect routine maintenance to see you through many years and miles of happy motoring.

If you want a white one (Grand Prix White or GPW), you should keep a very careful watch in the all the usual places. There seems to be a waiting list for them o_o

Best thing to do is get your finances ready and keep watching. Depending on how bad you want it, everyday, every hour.

And yes, white ones, especially nice ones are difficult to come by.

I also don't think a used NSX is that much cheaper than a new car. A lot of "good" ones will run you 35k+

I started with a low miler and ended up buying something I can daily and mod the sh*t out of. Buy whatever suits your wants/needs. They're reliable for 20 year old cars. You'll have a hard time finding one as they sell quick especially during the summer

Thinking of buying my first nsx, need some tips

Thinking of buying my first nsx, need some tips. I like the first few years 2 tone model but would consider mid 90's up to 2000. Have around $55k to spend. Manual. Want to know if it is worth buying and driving once or twice a week as a fun weekend car or if it is a lot of maintenance and headache and I should just buy a newer different car

Thinking of buying my first nsx, need some tips. I like the first few years 2 tone model but would consider mid 90's up to 2000. Have around $55k to spend. Manual. Want to know if it is worth buying and driving once or twice a week as a fun weekend car or if it is a lot of maintenance and headache and I should just buy a newer different car

In my experience, these cars are very reliable and have few issues, but parts can be expensive. They sold for $60-90K after all. Buying a fixer-upper can be very expensive to make things right. It takes time to find a good one.

Make sure the timing belt is OK. It should be changed every 7-9 years, I think. That's probably the most expensive maintenance item ($1200-2000.)

Keep in mind that any older used car is subject to certain issues. I've had to replace clutch & brake master & slave cylinders and coolant hoses due to age, not mileage. That sort of thing.

Wow I replied to this thread years ago and I just bought my first NSX last August (2016).

Based on your response compared to your first response in 2014, seems like you still have some more thinking, planning or researching to do as you are still skeptical about the "worth" of buying an old car vs. new (different) car. :wink:

It really depends on what you think is worth buying and driving once or twice a week as a fun weekend car. The maintenance and headache depends on the condition of the vehicle that you purchase. If you buy a good example then there will be less to no maintenance or headache. Whereas if you buy a poor example, then there may be some to a lot of maintenance and headache involved. With a $55K budget, you should be able to find a good one with up to date maintenances and still have money to blow on mods should you consider an earlier model (91-96). If you do buy a 91-92 make sure it's not in snapring or if it is, it has been dealt with by previous owner(s). I wanted a more raw driving experience so I went with a '91.

You should probably find one to test-drive or sit in to see if you like it. I considered a Cayman, s2000, BRZ/FRS, mustang, Miata, WRX, and 370z when I thought about buying.

Good luck and keep us posted! :biggrin:

I agree with [MENTION=22576]Andr3w[/MENTION] . With a $55k budget, you'll be able to find a mid-late 90's (to 1998, likely) car with not that many miles, in good shape. Lots of good cars with moderate mileage in the 40's from earlier years. You've been looking a long time. Don't compromise. I wanted a NSX for years and when the ones I could live with dropped into my lap, I acted, lightning-fast.

As for your question about whether it's worth buying and driving once or twice a week....to me, it's not a big deal. You'd be asking the question with any sports car. I live in snowy Cleveland and my car is stored for five months a year. This would be the case with any fun weekend car for me--I owned a S2000 for eight years before trading it on my S2000, and it was stored every winter, and driven mostly weekends and on pleasant weekdays.

Back