• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

High RPM NA1 Engine?

the rules require them to run turbo....its sounds just awful flat compare to the NA V8/V10/V12....music to the ear and moves the soul.
Not in the 80s where you weren't going to win if you didn't have a turbo. And IMO those 1,500hp 1.5L turbo motors sounded awesome, same with the modern Honda P2 powerplant.

I also really like driving turbo cars because they are challenging.

I hope to drive a properly fitted Turbo NSX one day. Both turbo NSX I've driven (Angus & Prospeed) have been underwhelming, peaky, response was meh, and ultimately power wasn't really that impressive to forego the first 3. I still prefer the response of a CTSC. I'm also not blind and fully admit the CTSC has its issues also.

Not in the 80s where you weren't going to win if you didn't have a turbo. And IMO those 1,500hp 1.5L turbo motors sounded awesome, same with the modern Honda P2 powerplant.

I also really like driving turbo cars because they are challenging.

+1

Have you listened to the Senna in-car footage? Those late 80's turbo cars were true beasts and terrifying/thrilling to drive. The Honda was running 5.5 bar (80 psi) boost in 1986.

I hope to drive a properly fitted Turbo NSX one day. Both turbo NSX I've driven (Angus & Prospeed) have been underwhelming, peaky, response was meh, and ultimately power wasn't really that impressive to forego the first 3. I still prefer the response of a CTSC. I'm also not blind and fully admit the CTSC has its issues also.

SOS SC is even better...

I just want a NA2 NSX-R's C32B please and probably with a USDM 5-speed so I don't have to shift so much.

I am not going for a max power build or even a max N/A power build. I realize to the average nsx owner it seems ludicrous to go to all the trouble for potentially less power. I have also considered a built F20 swap that can meet my rpm range desired and even a little more. It would also decrease the rear end weight and even out the balance of the car. And for $25,000 I can get a freshly rebuilt MF308 from the UK but the problem of a transmission would be very costly to figure out plus all the customer mounting. I've even gone so far as to consider how double mounted 1000cc Honda CBR engines that can rev that high would work. Almost everything requires custom work. I have a lot to consider and it will be a bit before I can start a build. But speaking of the CBR engine route in my head it's not so hard to imagine. If you had a naked rear subframe to start with and custom mounted the engines side by side with the trans still mounted and rigged up a center shaft with gears to run shortened chains from the trans gear to the shaft gear that runs to the rear diff then theoretically it could work. The rear suspension and rear diff would stay. The gearing would be great for a stripped nsx. The engines would weight less combined it would technically be longitudinally mounted inline 8 IE. 2 cbr1000 engines. Since the CBR engines are so skinny it should fit with some custom fab work. And with today's technology you can get a cbr1000cc engine to reach 180hp each. Do the math. That's 360hp from 2 engines that cost next to nothing compared to a nsx engine. And weigh less bringing the balance In check and easy to get parts for. Lol listen to me, I must sound insane but then who's not

Why think small?
How about two RC213V engines?
460 hp!

I admire your excitement and energy. The can-do-anything mentality is cool. Unfortunately, many of us here have been around too long in the NSX community. I'll even go as far to say that one of my good friends has gone done a similar path, spent thousands of $$ and man hours... only to be disappointed with low torque in the low end. He's still got a ways to go on his build but the downtime and the expense has put a huge damper on the fun and seat time.

I'm not trying to discourage. I wish you the best of luck but it's a tough and long road going full NA with your goals.

Any thoughts on the Hartley v8? 2.4L 400 hp @ 10,000 rpm....

I admire your excitement and energy. The can-do-anything mentality is cool. Unfortunately, many of us here have been around too long in the NSX community. I'll even go as far to say that one of my good friends has gone done a similar path, spent thousands of $$ and man hours... only to be disappointed with low torque in the low end. He's still got a ways to go on his build but the downtime and the expense has put a huge damper on the fun and seat time.

I'm not trying to discourage. I wish you the best of luck but it's a tough and long road going full NA with your goals.

Agree with Regan. Don't get me wrong, I think it is awesome you are trying to do a high-rpm NA engine. It is true to the spirit of the NSX and I think we should encourage it. Just pointing out it's going to be very expensive to get a C30A to run reliably at that range.

you are better off just buying an ap1 s2000.:redface:

you are better off just buying an ap1 s2000.:redface:
Yes!
http://www.carthrottle.com/watch-th...ake-everything-on-a-busy-nurburgring-hot-lap/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P9C-SV2YuSI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- - - Updated - - -

parts list here btw..
http://www.pb-motorsport.com/projects/time-attack-s2000
S2000-power-5.jpg

That video makes me want to buy an old AP1, strip it and cage it, and make it my track car. :D

I realize that it wont be cheap and it wont be easy but then what mod for the nsx ever is cheap or easy. I have owned everything from a supercharged VR6 gti to a 450hp track R32gtr. Cheap is not something that comes with having a auto obsession. I have spent thousands on cars and will continue to do so. But now that i have my dream car i want to work on making it the way i want it. I have always loved the sound and response of a high rpm engine. I realize the stress on an engine running over 10,000 on a constant basis. Thats why 10,000rpms is my limit. I think 10,000rpms from the C30 with C32 heads or C32 valves and heavy porting with ITB and custom air box with the spoon gt rear hatch scoop combo. Ill be picking up the spoon gt front bumper and skirts in the next year and then the spoon rear lexan hatch with gt scoop. I am not leaving out any possibilities. And
ALwAyS4SaLe I looked at those engines and they look amazing. I dont know how the transmission work work for that but its interesting. I have also been watching the J swap thread very closely and have considered going that route since there is more aftermarket and better head design and being that its a single cam set up cheaper to get custom parts mabe. I really hope that he gets that swap done soon and gets a kit made up by his machinist and starts orders.

I think you'll find the J series engines are long stroke with most being at 93 mm compared to a C30 at 78 mm.
A J engine at 8 K rpm would have the same piston speed as a C30 at 9600 rpm which seems to be the practical limit for a C block.
I don't know if the J block could handle 8 K rpm.
It might not be the best choice for the high revving engine you are looking for.

Last edited:
I think as far as transmission goes, seems quaife has various parts for swapping any transmission as per the site... That's what I read about the swaps.

The J would seem like the exact opposite direction of where you want to go... *confused*

Yeah, that is a long stroke engine. C is better for high rpm. C30A has thicker cylinder walls than C32B, so safer from a reliability standpoint.

back in those days, the fuel they run are quite toxic compare to today. high % of toluene to combat 5+bars. Of course they sound good running "dynamite" for mojo just like FC/TF cars running nitro.

Lol well i have not put a whole lot of research into the J series so I didnt know the exact specs. Well if they are a long stroke then that idea is out. I do know that the 02+ NSX-R was able to redline at 10,000rpms and did make power up to that point. I might have to talk to Mugen and Spoon again on my next trip down to tokyo and ask them about that and how the NSX-R was able to do it.

I think you do need to do a lot more research. You're right.

If you can't afford to "show them the money" then you'll need to educate yourself much more if a company like mugen is to entertain you. Just imagine how many people walk in there asking for the world and only wanting to pay for a loaf of bread...

-fellow poor guy

I think I saw some best motoring videos where they spun NSXs over 9K. Since the hard cut is 8,300rpm, I don't see another 700-1000rpm being that far fetched. However the torque and HP starts to drop around 7K so I don't think a stock motor will be gaining anything going over 9.

Back