• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

High RPM NA1 Engine?

Here you go dude. The much awaited info about the nsx-r intake.

http://www.honda.co.jp/CIVICTYPE-R/technology/cylinderhead/

Now before jumping to conclusions since the link says civictype-r not nsx-r just read the info on the page and you will see it is indeed talking about the nsx-r head design and port work involved in it's design. The valves and ports including runners were matched and mirror polished to reduce drag inside the intake by reducing 40% of surface roughness. Just google translate it and read for yourself it has a step by step of all the mods done to the heads. It also says how the head design was what they based the type -r civic heads off of for better performance.

When I google translate that, it says:

"In Civic TYPE R, when casting the cylinder head, subjected to a special resin coating on the mold of the port, I have to smoother the wall of the port.

This technique to reduce about 40% surface roughness is, what is gained in engine development of the NSX.
"​

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't mention the NSX-R at all. The point seems to be that the Civic Type-R's intake and exhaust ports are as smooth as those of an NSX.

Edit: If you look at what Honda themselves say they did to the NSX-R engine to make it special (see here), they don't mention any porting and polishing of the intake. They mention a "custom intake manifold top cover", though.

Last edited:
I've looked up the part number for the NSX intake manifold and the NSX-R intake manifold and they are the same.
I think Greenberet's comment on the translation says it all.
There is no special NSX -R intake manifold.

I would only do the J-swap as a cheaper engine option while saving and building the C30A. More then likely I would end up just not driving the nsx until I saved the money to build the C30A. But if I completely blew my C30A to the point where I could not rebuild it a J-swap would seem like a better idea to be able to still drive with good power while hunting down another C30A to build.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not the intake itself that makes it special it's all the work done to it. Like port match runners and sensor placement and porting and polishing. It might start as the same part but not when it's all said and done and installed.

- - - Updated - - -

INDEX
# 1 large-diameter throttle body
# 2 single tube short intake manifold
# Head of the port 3 NSX process adopted (cylinder head)
# 4 VTEC rocker arm
# 5 high compression ratio corresponding piston and high rotation corresponding connecting rod
# 6 high rigidity crankshaft
# 7 high rigidity lower block
# 8 dual exhaust manifold
# Head of the port 3 NSX process adopted
The intake manifold, air, the cylinder head
It enters the cylinder through a port that has been cast. Alternatively, the exhaust after finishing of combustion
And is discharged to the exhaust manifold through the port.
Intake and exhaust port adjacent to the cylinder head is a port.
"It can be seen that the aim of the engine just to look at the head port"
As is said, and finish of the intake / exhaust ports directly connected to the cylinder
It is an important part of the left and right intake efficiency of the engine.
Racing engine of the past, work the technician polish up like a mirror port
It was done traditionally, processing technology that achieves superior precision is also present now.
In Civic TYPE R, when casting the cylinder head,
Subjected to a special resin coating on the mold of the port, I have to smoother the wall of the port.
This technique to reduce about 40% surface roughness is, what is gained in engine development of the NSX.
Only this particular process, improves intake and exhaust efficiency, thereby contributing to improvement of the output about 2PS.

Then, in the combustion chamber compact to increase the compression ratio,
And to the area of ​​the combustion chamber top, the valve of one intake and exhaust 4
Shaped like a triangle for the roof may be set to a maximum diameter
Is a pent-roof type.
This pent-roof type DOHC 4 valve, Honda is once
And adopted in the racing engine, while also taking advantage of commercial vehicles
It is a traditional format that Honda has continued to evolve for many years.

- - - Updated - - -

There's the full translation not just a small clip like you showed. It's about the type r nsx or nsx-r as it's better known.

There's the full translation not just a small clip like you showed. It's about the type r nsx or nsx-r as it's better known.

The link you posted is to page 3 of Honda's Civic Type-R technology description. They describe what sets the Civic Type-R apart from lesser Civics. The title of page #3 is: Cylinder head- NSX process adopted for ports. Honda state they reduced the surface roughness of the Civic Type-R cylinder head ports by 40% by using a technique originally developed for the NSX.

Did you see "NSX Type-R" or "NSX-R" mentioned somewhere? I can't find it on that page or on any of the other pages of the Civic Type-R description you linked to.

Last edited:
OP this is getting a bit tedious.
You are in Japan so presumably you know a Japanese person who can give you a correct translation.
In this thread so far you've made numerous statements about the NSX type-r engine none of which have turned out to be true.
I'll give you full marks for tenacity in trying to prove your statements but so far all you've done is come up with further statements like this one about the Civic that are removing whatever credibility you might have had at the start of this thread.
I had hoped to learn something new about the NSX-R engine but all I've learned is you don't know what you're talking about so I'm unsubscribing and moving on.

Hey guys,
Im new to the NSX and im coming from an S2000 supercharged and I've been reading a lot about the NSX to try and find out about the car as much as I know. To the OP, learning from playing A LOT with the S2000 I can tell you that you can most likely (without much knowledge on the NSX and taking what I know about Honda engines) take the C30 engine with an upgraded oil pump from SOS or TODA and a dual valve spring upgrade to around 8700-8900 RPM with OEM cams. From what I have researched the NSX cams are quite aggressive from factory just the like S2000 cams, which is why aftermarket cams show little improvement. However a factor that you will have to take into consideration is air/fuel intake, NSX usually falls flat after about 7500 RPMS due to small injectors and a restrictive intake manifold. To take advantage of the RPMS you will have to upgrade to bigger injectors and a ITB setup or the DMS intake manifold (which I think is better than ITB, other than the sound...) I hope that helps you, with headers, exhaust, test pipes, DMS intake and bigger Throttle body, dual valve springs and upgraded oil pump you should be able to see close to 9k RPM and maybe 320whp+ or so? Again I just got an NSX and im going off what I learnt from the S2000, I had an AP2 engine with upgraded valve springs taken to 9200rpms+ (AP2 reaches max piston speeds at around 8400RPMS) on the track a lot and the engine is still going strong. If you want to keep the car all motor without an engine build I would go this way first, however if you want to see some serious gains only a built engine 3.5L or boost will get you there. In regards to 10,000RPMS, I doubt you can get that without tearing the motor apart and getting the rotating assembly balanced and blueprinted.

I can't believe I've never seen this thread

Back