• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Test drove a "gated" Ferrari 360 today.....comparing it to my Turbocharged NA2

Test drove a "gated" Ferrari 360 today.....comparing it to my Turbocharged NA2

Prices for the 360 are getting within reach and have been contemplating a longtime dream of owning a FCAR. I drove down to a local dealership to test drive a 2000 360 6spd Modena. I have never driven the 360, but had the chance to drive a F430 (huge improvement over the 360) with paddles. My '99 is turbocharged (407 hp) with a custom exhaust, coilovers, NSX-R bars, and CT front and rear sways.

Comparison:

Power: NSX (not even close, but I am at a Mile High). The NSX should of came from the factory with FI.

Handling: EVEN. My setup felt smoother and not as harsh as the 360. I preferred the NSX (With coilovers, bars, and CT sways), but I think I am more confortable with my NSX.

Fit and finish: NSX. Call me crazy, but the I think the NSX interior is superior. The driving position and sight is definitely better in the NSX. The 360 did not have the Daytona seats and seemed basic.

Gearbox: NSX. The gearbox is easier to shift compared to the 360. The 360 gated shifter is cool, but preferred the NSX. Don't know how the F1 is in the 360, but the 430's F1 was amazing (for paddles).

Sound: Turbocharged NSX on throttle. 360 at idle. Before I drove the 360, I thought the 360 would blow away my NSX.....I was wrong. The 360 had a Tubi and sounded great. But with my custom exhaust off of the APX turbo kit, my NSX screams at high RPM's. I think the NSX sounds more F1/sportbike than the 360. The 360 definitely sounds better at startup and idle. Very surprised.

Conclusion: I am very impressed with the NSX. Crossed off a 360 for my next car. The PPI stated it needed $14k worth of regular maintenance updates. The damn thing needs new belts every 3 years or 10k miles! I will keep the "poor mans" Ferrari. I will have to save and wait for the F430.......

Great review. I also thought about a 360 due to the prices dipping to attainable levels. Your write up helps confirm I made the right choice. I do think however think the 360 is at bottom and might not be a bad long term investment motor.

yeah, I'm always checking online for those cars and there are some real nice examples in the $70's.......but the maintenance is ridiculou$:eek:

a lot of people can afford to buy an FCAR, but few can actually afford to drive them:redface:

Great review. I also thought about a 360 due to the prices dipping to attainable levels. Your write up helps confirm I made the right choice. I do think however think the 360 is at bottom and might not be a bad long term investment motor.

None of the later car's will make for a good investment and I should preface that my belief is that most, if not all car's are poor investments. If you're interested in a later model F-car for the pleasure of driving one then that's your ROI as you will not come out ahead financially in your lifetime. They simply produce too many of the "normal" or non-super cars for the appreciation to be there later. Buy it because you want it knowing it will cost you to own it.

yeah, I'm always checking online for those cars and there are some real nice examples in the $70's.......but the maintenance is ridiculou$:eek: a lot of people can afford to buy an FCAR, but few can actually afford to drive them:redface:

Maintenance on the 360 (especially manual gearbox) isn't too prohibitive at all. 600.00 once a year for fluids and about 2000.00 every 5 years for belt maint. Throw in a few hundred here and there for things like ball joints (weak from the factory) and shifter bushings and the car's are as bulletproof as any other. There is a variator recall on the early cars so make sure that's been done and keep your eye on the exhaust/cats and you're off to the races. I've put over 70K miles on three different iterations of the 360 (2 CS's and `99 manual euro car) and have never had anything cost prohibitive come up. Do avoid super low mile cars as they will cost a fair amount to sort and get running.

The 430 manual is even less maint. as the engine is chain driven not belt.

I know, and it is a sin if Ferrari does not do the work.

A top notch independent is a better bet than most F-car dealers for service and usually a bit cheaper. The exceptions to that are Ron Tonkin and Algar, both stellar dealers with exceptional mechanics on staff. I'm lucky enough to have such an independent close to me but wouldn't hesitate to ship my car where it needed to be in order to get the car it needs. It's often times a bad service experience that sours people on what is generally a pretty great car.

600.00 once a year for fluids and about 2000.00 every 5 years for belt maint.
Great post by the way, good to hear some first hand accounts.

I have to wonder though - what is included in the $600 fluid change? Clearly it is more than just oil, do you do a brake/clutch flush as well?

My understanding is that you should have about $10k a year set aside from maintenance on the 360. I think that came right off FerrariChat. Too expensive for me even though I really love the 360.

My understanding is that you should have about $10k a year set aside from maintenance on the 360. I think that came right off FerrariChat. Too expensive for me even though I really love the 360.

That seems high. I have heard that number tossed around for owning a Testarossa, but not a 360.
I have heard that you should be ready & able to write a $10k maintenance check if you want to own a Ferrari, but not that you will be dishing out that kind of cash on an annual basis.

Great post by the way, good to hear some first hand accounts.

I have to wonder though - what is included in the $600 fluid change? Clearly it is more than just oil, do you do a brake/clutch flush as well?

You're correct, it includes oil & filter, brake and trans fluids, cabin filter and a once over on everything else.

As an F-chat member for over 12 years I haven't seen that number associated with the 360 but have seen service on the 355's run into those numbers, but only when replacing things like headers, cats, hoses, etc. along with the belt service which means you need to factor it into the overall ownership period and not strictly the annual as so many observers tend to do. The expense associated with the 355 cars is the engine out component to the service, it's simply more hours at $90-120/hr for the tech's time. I had a good experience with my `95 355 but made sure to buy one that had been driven and made sure I had a very thorough PPI conducted as those two things really are the key to a positive Ferrari ownership experience. The 360, 430, 458 don't require the engine to be removed for service.

You seem to know the cars, what do you think the number is for the 360 and for the f430?

You seem to know the cars, what do you think the number is for the 360 and for the f430?

Number? If you're looking for pricing input it really depends on what you're looking for within each model category. 360's can range from the 60's up to 120+ for late (2005) cars. Then you need to consider manual vs. F1, daytona seats vs. non, resale colors (red/tan) to one off (green/green) and most important of all, documented maint. history as this will make or break a potential buy.

430's have the same option caveats but run from the high side of the 360 spectrum (120's) to 180K for a late, low mile car or Scuderia.

The one anomaly has to be the Challenge Stradale and I say this not because I currently have one (and had a another lower mile CS recently) but rather because they have a cult-like following due to their relatively low production numbers and the fact that they share some components and an assembly area with the Enzo. They have even been referred to as the "baby Enzo" by many owners of both models. I'll be honest and say I don't feel the same way and my main reason is that the car has the F1 manual gearbox that was based on the 2002 box from the actual Formula One cars, (CS was only built in 2004) which to me is not as connected as a gated box. It is also not as smooth as the follow-on DCT's that are in the new 458's, and overall the car just doesn't feel that different vs. a normal 360 to me (and I'm of the minority when it comes to this opinion so take it with a grain of salt). But with all of that said, the price of the CS has crossed over the price of its replacement the Scuderia (430 based) with the average sale price of the CS at 169k over the last 60 days.

The outlier in the in the 430 world is the 16M version, it's basically a Scuderia convertible and was also made in limited numbers. I have yet to see one sell for under 210K that doesn't have a story.

Last edited:
You're correct, it includes oil & filter, brake and trans fluids, cabin filter and a once over on everything else.

I guess my question is do (any) Ferrari owners do their own maintenance? I'm sure if I brought the NSX is for this kind of fluid change it would run into some money (several hundred easy) but I think NSX owners are more prone to wanting to get their hands dirty. I was watching Jay Leno's garage where they were looking over a Bugatti Veyron and pretty much the only thing you can do to that car is check the oil. Jay didn't like it.....he likes to tinker.

great review and most Fcar owners when the Maint is coming up they sell the car let someon else deal with the 14K cost for maint

yet another person saying NSX is better. we hear ya man

Regarding pricing, here are two charts that I put together on pricing fairly recently based on a survey on Autotrader listings

ayn.gif

4hjd.jpg

The second chart really shows you what AZNSX001 is referring to with the special edition 360 & 430.

The interesting question is where will 360 prices end up. I think they may end up falling below 355 prices and hit the $50k range making them the first really affordable Ferraris for the masses given their relatively low maintenance requirements (compared to the F355). Condition will be king on pricing though with the well maintained and pristine cars still commanding $80+

Question for you AZNSX001, how does the Challenge Stradale and the NSX compare? If you could only have one which would you choose?

So you prefer ones that's been driven over a low mile garage queen? Whats the theory behind this?

As an F-chat member for over 12 years I haven't seen that number associated with the 360 but have seen service on the 355's run into those numbers, but only when replacing things like headers, cats, hoses, etc. along with the belt service which means you need to factor it into the overall ownership period and not strictly the annual as so many observers tend to do. The expense associated with the 355 cars is the engine out component to the service, it's simply more hours at $90-120/hr for the tech's time. I had a good experience with my `95 355 but made sure to buy one that had been driven and made sure I had a very thorough PPI conducted as those two things really are the key to a positive Ferrari ownership experience. The 360, 430, 458 don't require the engine to be removed for service.

Love the CS. I think the kicker for me is that my NSX is turbocharged. If my NSX was NA, the comparison would of been different. I drove a F430 with F1 and I think it is a huge improvement over the 360. But, a 458 is a huge improvement over the 430.......

Sorry I should have clarified- I meant numbers for maintenance not sale prices. I appreciate the sale price information too but the range is so large it really does depend on which is the right car for you as a buyer. Thanks for letting us pick your brain! I also would love an Italian in the future but have always been scared by what I think are absurd maintenance costs.

There is a guy here that bought a 360 for cheap. Like 60k. He knew it needed work. I think he ended up putting over 25K. Ouch. Would have been better off to buy a more expensive car that didn't need work.

I guess my question is do (any) Ferrari owners do their own maintenance? I'm sure if I brought the NSX is for this kind of fluid change it would run into some money (several hundred easy) but I think NSX owners are more prone to wanting to get their hands dirty. I was watching Jay Leno's garage where they were looking over a Bugatti Veyron and pretty much the only thing you can do to that car is check the oil. Jay didn't like it.....he likes to tinker.
There are many that do on the early cars up to the 360, 430 and later I don't see it as often. I can sympathize with Jay, yourself and people like you but I keep that for the older stuff in the garage - have a `67 Corvette and had an `85 308 GTB that I played with a bit as they are still relatively simple.

great review and most Fcar owners when the Maint is coming up they sell the car let someon else deal with the 14K cost for maint

yet another person saying NSX is better. we hear ya man

There is rarely that kind of maintenance and yes, most buyers will insure they find a car with all maint. up to date.

Question for you AZNSX001, how does the Challenge Stradale and the NSX compare? If you could only have one which would you choose?

They are night and day, CS has more power, ungodly brakes, interior is bathed in carbon and little else (no carpet, floormats, etc) There is no cruise, but lots of great noise and a firm unforgiving ride with less visibility than the NSX. The X on the other hand is what everyone here has come to find out, a smooth riding, fantastically engineered and timeless car that lends itself as much to a grocery run as it does a two hour jaunt on your favorite roads. It has enough power without having too much to use on a regular basis, it's extremely comfortable on long trips (my first drive was over 400 miles from seller's house in CA to AZ) and is unbelievably civilized for the amount of fun-factor it provides. The gearing is a little long which takes away some performance but was done in order to give the car the aforementioned benefits. The one thing that struck me other than the build quality of the NSX (which is superior to the CS) was the exceptional visibility, I feel I've now owned the car with the best visibility and hands down the worst (Ford GT).

Forgot to answer your second question - The NSX, hands down. Biggest reason being that it has 3 pedals.

Love the CS. I think the kicker for me is that my NSX is turbocharged. If my NSX was NA, the comparison would of been different. I drove a F430 with F1 and I think it is a huge improvement over the 360. But, a 458 is a huge improvement over the 430.......

When comparing an NA NSX to either the 360 or 430 there is little comparison in the way of power as both cars have more HP and are geared more aggressively than the X. The X still has the edge on build quality, comfort, maint. cost.......I can't for the life of me figure out how the Italians have yet to master glue and rubber, it's baffling. Oh, the 458 is no more fun to drive than your mom's Buick, it's just faster and looks cooler. The DCT is, simply stated - too good. I've never driven a car with such a detached driving experience and it seems that more and more people that are gravitating toward the gates of Maranello are wanting less and less of a true sports car. That's one of the reasons I'm choosing to go back in a time a bit with my next selections.

There is a guy here that bought a 360 for cheap. Like 60k. He knew it needed work. I think he ended up putting over 25K. Ouch. Would have been better off to buy a more expensive car that didn't need work.

The rule is the same no matter the marquee, buy the best car you can afford in a particular category and save yourself the headache. It's easy to get lost in bringing an F-car up to spec due to the parts cost, there are ways around it but you really need to know what your doing and have strong relationships with people in the space.

- - - Updated - - -

So you prefer ones that's been driven over a low mile garage queen? Whats the theory behind this?

If you are game to do a bit of research you'll find the following comments to be pretty accurate. I've found that an F-car that is driven at least 5K/yr has fewer issues, or that is has experienced its demons and they have been addressed. This was true with the valve guide issue in the 355 (it generally shows up pre-25K miles), the variator in the 360 (recalled after 9 mos. of production) and the exhaust headers on the 430's (also recalled midway through 2005-2006 production). I've also found that the seals, hoses and moving parts perform as they should when they are regularly used, something that carries over to just about any car really but can save you a tremendous amount of money on an F-car. Many in the F-car world equate low miles with value, and it's true that car's with higher mileage take a bit of hit over low mile cars, but the cost to own is less in both initial cost and maintenance needs so which car is really better? It comes down to whether or not your part of the park and polish crowd or the drive and enjoy owners group, neither is better but I know where I belong. If I wanted to stare at an exotic I would get a really nice print or commission someone to paint one but I think I'll drive the wheels off of them instead and take all those great memories with me.

Sorry I should have clarified- I meant numbers for maintenance not sale prices. I appreciate the sale price information too but the range is so large it really does depend on which is the right car for you as a buyer. Thanks for letting us pick your brain! I also would love an Italian in the future but have always been scared by what I think are absurd maintenance costs.

I listed the maint. numbers for the 360, the 430 is less by prob $2K every 3 years or so based on the lack of belt changes. The most expensive are probably the 355's for 8 cyl cars and Testarossa for 12 cyl cars, I would budget $3K annually for a well sorted 355 and Testarossa. I would also make sure I knew going in that the 355 had no valve guide issues ($25K fix when all said and done) and that the differential in the Testarossa had been addressed ($4K fix to avoid $10K in damage) unless you have a late 512 TR which has an improved diff from the factory. The most inexpensive 12 cyl to own is the 550/575 series with manual gearbox. The 550 only needs lower intake hose replacement to replace weak factory items and 575 motor mounts to be a rock solid GT car that you could drive coast to coast as many times as you would like. They have a $1500-2000 service every 5 years but only regular maint. in between.

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding pricing, here are two charts that I put together on pricing fairly recently based on a survey on Autotrader listings

ayn.gif

4hjd.jpg

The second chart really shows you what AZNSX001 is referring to with the special edition 360 & 430.

The interesting question is where will 360 prices end up. I think they may end up falling below 355 prices and hit the $50k range making them the first really affordable Ferraris for the masses given their relatively low maintenance requirements (compared to the F355). Condition will be king on pricing though with the well maintained and pristine cars still commanding $80+

Good data but remember, most F-car sales don't take place off of AT. Many of these cars trade hands from one owner to another or via forums like Fchat. Even more are traded in for the latest and "greatest" so they end up back in the hands of Fcar dealers. F355 is much more fun car to drive if your wallet can stand the pressure and it makes the worlds greatest noise bar only a pre-2014 Formula 1 car.

Last edited:

Agree. I have a 430 F1 and am looking at trading up to a 458.

NSX still more fun to drive.

Good data but remember, most F-car sales don't take place off of AT. Many of these cars trade hands from one owner to another or via forums like Fchat. Even more are traded in for the latest and "greatest" so they end up back in the hands of Fcar dealers. F355 is much more fun car to drive if your wallet can stand the pressure and it makes the worlds greatest noise bar only a pre-2014 Formula 1 car.

100% agreed. It is simply an easy anecdotal source of numbers. After building the first chart by hand, did the second in an much more automated fashion and may regenerate it from time to time to see how things have changed. Or maybe i won't ever get back around to it; at the time it was a good time sink. While I would like to add a ferrari to my life, the reality is that it simply doesn't make a lot of sense right now. I do live in an area with a lot of ferrari owners, so it is a neat time to learn a bi more and perhaps in 5-10 years I will be looking to pick one up and this old price data may be good for a giggle or two.

I own both an 04 360 and now just picked up an 04 NSX.

Objectively the NSX doesn't outshine the Ferrari in the ways you describe, but you are obviously posting from an NSX fanatics perspective on an NSX board so nothing makes people happier then to hear their cars are better then a Ferrari.

Ferrari interrior is better then NSX, and Ferrari sound (especially with a tubi) 9.8/10 people will agree sounds better then any nsx exhaust. Ferrari gets more street cred, in that everyone thinks you are a millionaire.

Both drive equally as nice, NSX obviously is more reliable but a manual box 360 won't hurt you in maintenance as others have suggested. $2500/ year is a plentiful budget for a 360 assuming 5000 miles of driving.

NSX is more of a daily driver and does have a smoother gear box, but the gated shifter feel of the ferrari is smooth and part of the experience.

360 is the best "value" buy you can get in exotic cars at the moment.

Objectively the NSX doesn't outshine the Ferrari in the ways you describe, but you are obviously posting from an NSX fanatics perspective on an NSX board so nothing makes people happier then to hear their cars are better then a Ferrari.

Ferrari interior is better then NSX, and Ferrari sound (especially with a tubi) 9.8/10 people will agree sounds better then any nsx exhaust. Ferrari gets more street cred, in that everyone thinks you are a millionaire.

Not sure if you're referring to my post but I'm a car enthusiast, not a fan of any one particular brand though I possibly appreciate Ferrari, Porsche and Mercedes history more than some other brands. That said I have been monumentally surprised by the NSX and will more than likely end up adding to my garage for the long term as opposed to just giving it a try and selling like I have with most cars. At the end of the day it's about opinions and we're all entitled to them, mine are simply based on real world experiences that I've encountered.

I've owned F-cars going on over a decade now and not a single one of them shows me that the folks in Maranello have figured out how to use basic materials like glue and rubber. Not one of my cars have NOT had sticky issues where my NSX is 23 years old and doesn't have any sign of interior issues. Ferrari interior panels and hardware are also pretty weak where NSX is very solid and fitment is considerably better. A lot of folks (and I mean a lot) are happy with chalking up the inferior build quality of F-cars to the "charm" of the brand, I'm just not one of them. Lot's of suckers out there willing to pay $400.00 for an $80.00 alarm siren too (yep, exactly the same part), I'm not one of those either and it doesn't matter how much money I do or don't have.

I do agree that there is nothing like the sound of F355 exhaust note and the 360 isn't bad either. NSX can't compare given the difference in engine spec. But then a 12 Cyl Diablo with Quicksilver/LOC exhaust will make you forget the Fcar exhaust note just as quickly.

NSX might get the edge on civility also, Fcar is always a bit "tighter" in factory trim and rightfully so as that was the intent during the suspension design. Most folks here seem to swap out suspension bits so that may bring them closer in terms of the experience. NSX is certainly more civil than the CS but then that's to be expected, and what I enjoy about the X. You have to be in the mood to be beat up a bit and the NSX is the car I take when I don't want to.

Agree that the 360 is a pretty good value for the experience.

Back