• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Better performance: narrower NT01 205/40r/17 or Wider AD08 215/40/17 for the fronts

Hi guys,

I know there have been similar threads like this but none this specific:

I currently am running AD08s (215/40/17 fr and 265/35/18 rear) and am in need of new tires. I would like to bump up to NT01s, however do not want to deal with shaving my front fenders for the 235 width NT01s. So the only other option I see is the 205/40/17...

so my question is this: will I even see a benefit of going with NT01s from AD08 if I have the smaller width front tire paired with the larger width rear tire?
Or would this just give me understeer issues and with less width on the front, not much improvement in grip from the wider ad08s?

Any recommendations or suggestions on this would be appreciated...Again, I know that I have an option of shaving the front fender liners, but I am trying to see if I can avoid that if at all possible.

thanks in advance!

A 205/40/17 NT01 tire will give more grip than the 215/40/17 AD08. That being said, on stock 02 rims I run 205/40/17 & 255/40/17. I don't think it will hurt if you have to run a 265/35/18 on the rear with a 205 on the front.

The real question is this for track use? Because a NT01 will require heat in it to give you optimum grip. On the street, the AD08 is by far the superior choice. On the track, even with 205/265 the NT01s will be faster by 1-2 seconds.

Why not just run a 205/255 combo instead?

On Nittos website it seems like they don't have a 255 size in 18" diameter tires,only 245 or 275...R888s do I think,however..would You recommend those then with the 205/255 combo or would Nt01s with the 205/275 combo be better still?

- - - Updated - - -

A 205/40/17 NT01 tire will give more grip than the 215/40/17 AD08. That being said, on stock 02 rims I run 205/40/17 & 255/40/17. I don't think it will hurt if you have to run a 265/35/18 on the rear with a 205 on the front.

The real question is this for track use? Because a NT01 will require heat in it to give you optimum grip. On the street, the AD08 is by far the superior choice. On the track, even with 205/265 the NT01s will be faster by 1-2 seconds.

Yes, it would be 90% track use..I drive my NSX maybe once every two weeks to work, and the rest of the time drive it to the track and back for maybe 7-10 track days a year...Nt01s seem perfect for this use, except for the sizing...As per your suggestion, I don't think they come in 265s for 18" diameter wheels, only 245 or 275...Maybe I look at R888s or some other r-compound "streetable" tire?

Why not just take the fender liner out? it takes about 10 seconds a side including jacking the car up time. Removing fender liners should be a tandem decision when stepping up to R comps, your doing so likely becasue you plateaued your laptimes, right? So why compromise on a less grip just too keep some dead weight plastic? Remove it run the right tires and wheels and snap it back in when you get home.

I have 235's on 17x8 in +45/+47/+36 and +38 and non of them contacted the fender even when just had maxed factory camber, some do rub the chassis side in the front of the wheel well at full lock but thats fine.

Why not just take the fender liner out? it takes about 10 seconds a side including jacking the car up time. Removing fender liners should be a tandem decision when stepping up to R comps, your doing so likely becasue you plateaued your laptimes, right? So why compromise on a less grip just too keep some dead weight plastic? Remove it run the right tires and wheels and snap it back in when you get home.

I have 235's on 17x8 in +45/+47/+36 and +38 and non of them contacted the fender even when just had maxed factory camber, some do rub the chassis side in the front of the wheel well at full lock but thats fine.

Well I am not sure about "plataued" but think I am getting close at least with my skill level, getting about 2:04s at Thunderhill...In any case, the reason I am hesitant to remove the fenderliner is because I'm worried about having rocks/debri shoot up and dent the fenders from the inside out..Maybe this is not a valid concern, but seems like with sticky tires this is a very reasonable scenario?

You'll be fine.

go get this: http://www.eastwood.com/paintable-r...N4TKkODJrCIEFIrv40rD1B7xFZEFzSQ__9go6rjfD_BwE

from pep boys and give the under side of the front fenders a spray and let it sit for 6 hours. Its an old alfa/ferarro trick, ive been running mine like this for years and years with r comps slinging california desert rocks and my fenders are smooth.

Can I Ask how low your car is and what camber you are running? I am on KW-V3s and am the standard "Shad Driving Ambition" lowered amount, I believe it measures 4 to 4.5" from the ground to the jackpoints...What you are proposing is very intriguing but want to make sure I don't screw up my fenders, haha

currently I have -4.5 on the front, im not over lowered, so probably about the same as your car if you had DA set it up.

I ran on the 205/275 NT-01s for years with a CTSC car, the extra tire width made a difference getting the power down on corner exit. I did not find the balance that bad, however at the time my car was setup to be quite loose and the 275s helped if I got a lot out of shape. Now I run the 235/275 setup and the 235 vs the 205 is a huge step up, mainly in braking but also at turn in.

You can get away with either setup but if your car is pushing now the 235 would be the better choice, if your car is loose the 205 would be a better choice when paired with the 275 rear.

Personally I do not think we can get enough tire under these little fenders so go as big as you can fit.

Dave

I ran on the 205/275 NT-01s for years with a CTSC car, the extra tire width made a difference getting the power down on corner exit. I did not find the balance that bad, however at the time my car was setup to be quite loose and the 275s helped if I got a lot out of shape. Now I run the 235/275 setup and the 235 vs the 205 is a huge step up, mainly in braking but also at turn in.

You can get away with either setup but if your car is pushing now the 235 would be the better choice, if your car is loose the 205 would be a better choice when paired with the 275 rear.

Personally I do not think we can get enough tire under these little fenders so go as big as you can fit.

Dave

Thanks for the input, Dave..So did you end up removing your liners as well?

Thanks for the input, Dave..So did you end up removing your liners as well?

No mine are still there. Well at least some of them. I only get rubbing of the liners on the drivers side at the top of the wheel arches. I just use some Garilla tape to keep things going and I have a new set of liners to put in when the time comes. If you run higher spring rates and have coil overs you should be able to adjust your ride height and limit any rubbing with the 235's.

Dave

Back