• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A/C PICS for the Needy

shawn110975

Suspended
lots of talk these days about A/c Issues so here are pics of everything geez... its like watching kids fight LOL

here is for NSXPRIME and its fun and always happy members.

the first pic is of the main unit removed with the bottom removed to see Both cores

2014-07-16_00-19-06_30.jpg

the next pic is of the main unit on its side showing the heater core exposed

2014-07-16_00-19-23_728.jpg

the next pic is of the heater core removed to show how it looks

2014-07-16_00-19-58_139.jpg

next pic is of the gear and gizmos that do shit that I am not gonna explain at this time cuz I am tired and its 12:33 at night LOL

2014-07-16_00-20-17_750.jpg

this last pic is to put all the part number collectors on prime eat this......... the left core is from a 91 the right is from a 2002
exact same thing dead horse anyone? I have a rubber hammer

2014-07-15_23-54-16_697.jpg

carry on with your bad selves

cool beans.

Shawn, how can we tell if our system has been converted/updated or not? I have a 92.

you will notice brand new connectors bigger than the originals I will post a pic of the new connectors for you

Thanks for this great post! I was having problems with my AC (91) and couldnt find anything on a true side by side comparison of the evap core on the one from a 91 vs a 93+. The dealerships were telling me it was discontinued, may have to source from Japan and if they could find it, it would be over $1000 cdn and weeks and weeks of waiting for it.

Searched prime and there was very little confirmation on this topic about swapping out the Evap Cores. I finally found a post by Honcho as he had the same questions and was going to open his up as well. He advised me the only difference that he could tell between a 91/92 evap core and the other ones were the R12 to R134A conversion, otherwise it was identical, you would only need to change the connector unit.

Your pictures and post completely confirm this finding! THANK YOU from me and all other Prime members who will eventually have to deal with replacing their evap core.

Wil

Wow, I guess I got lucky when I ordered mine a couple summers back. It must've been the last batch.

Im so sorry actually they are different.... the purple sticker is in another location my bad.

the sticker location changes the part number true to honda's motto if anything changes so does the part number

While it may look the same, there are several differences between the R12 and R134a evap assy.
Because it looks identical and the fitting is the same, both type will fit on any NSX apart from the difference between the LHD and RHD so in order to distinguish the difference, Honda placed small sticker on the R134a spec parts.
As Shawn mentioned, it's the purple one.
You can find the same sticker on some of the pipes, expansion valve, receiver, hose, etc on R134a system.

The o-ring material, operating pressure, etc are different between the two system and thus, the expansion valve in the above photo and the two o-rings (hidden under the couplings) are different between the R12 and R134a evap assy.
Hence, the different part no..

Even with these differences, when you retro fit the R134a conversion kit, the A/C will work even using the old used R12 spec o-ring, expansion valve, evap, compressor, drier, pressure switch, etc after the conversion.
Although the o-ring is not compatible between the two, when the old spec o-ring gets in contact with the R134a, it will first expand (swell) and then slowly deteriorate over years so seemed to allow some time before start leaking.

The chemical used inside the R134a drier is more efficient than the R12 one but the diameter of the OEM R134a drier is smaller than the R12 one so if you want to install it properly like from the factory, you will need to change the bracket although you can do quick DIY modification.
Again, even after the conversion, you can still use the R12 drier although strictly speaking, probably better to switch to the correct spec next time when disconnecting any of the fittings.
Having said this, some of the owners are on-purposely using the R12 drier even after the conversion or even on the R134a system for the extra capacity of R12 spec drier.
If the system is sealed and operating properly, the A/C gas should not leak for many years.
However, eventually it will leak at slow rate from the o-ring and corrosion at the fitting thread.
When someone re-charges the gas, sometimes people could over charge the system.
This will shorten the life of the system especially the evaporator on our NSX and it will cause puncture.
When R12 drier is in use, it seems that this extra capacity can act as a buffer in preventing the puncture at the evapo or other issues related to overcharging of the gas.

As a side note, after converting the system to R134a, it seems that the original R12 compressor tends to fail prematurely and starts making some noise. You better act at that point otherwise the metal dust from the broken compressor will travel inside the pipe and it could cause partial blockage at the R & L condensors as they are connected prior to the gas filtered at the drier.
For this reason and considering the age of any R12 compressor still in use on early model NSX, it may save your time and money by replacing the compressor to the later spec R134a one (P9K) at the time of conversion.

From efficiency point of view, R12 is better than the R134a and thus, it won't loose too much eng power when the a/c is in use on R12 system. One of the reason why some owners stays with R12 even when the gas is so expensive these days.
Even for the R134a system, the later spec R134a compressor (P9K) is much better than the early spec one (PR7) that you won't notice too much drop in eng power when the compressor has engaged.

Kaz

I am really confused here... my 92 is running on R134A already. I have been having issues with it lately. The dealer told me the they don't sell the compressor anymore, and I remember reading the evaporator cores are no longer sold. So how do I get this thing working again with no parts??

Can I just buy an evaporator and compressor from a different year NSX? Do I need to buy components built especially for R134A? If so, can someone please give me those part numbers?

80210-SL0-A03 is the evap core for the 93-05 with R134A
80210-SLO-A02 is the evap core for the 91/91 with the R12

you can always get your Compressor rebuild by a local source. but Kaz is right that's why I always use r134a with a sealant, 50 percent says its bad, 50 percent says its fine, everyone I have done this to they still have ice cold air.

but as we all know the seals thur out our systems are aging and at some point will need to be replaced. its a FACT.

FWIW when I purchased the new expansion valve, o-rings and evap, I made sure to get the R134a versions for the reasons Kaz describes.

Back