• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Remote PPI Services?

Does anyone have experience with, or knowledge of, remote PPI services such as www.automobileinspections.com or www.aimmobileinspections.com?

I realize these services aren't likely to have NSX-specific knowledge, but it seems they can still vaerify the car doesn't have any strange noises, the electronics function, climate control works, as well as evaluate the condition of the body, paint, and tires.

I'm aware there are many generous NSXers in Prime, who are available to perform PPIs on cars in thir local area, but I'm wondering about situations where no one is available.

Many thanks.

All I can say is that you need to be careful who you use, and have a recourse in writing for the items they miss.

I say this because a couple of years ago a gentleman in Canada contacted me because he knew I lived in the Indianapolis area, and he was looking at a Berlina Black NSX for sale at a dealership here. He said that he had paid one of these services to do a PPI for him, and that it came back 'A+....no issues'. I agreed to go look at the car for him anyway and found the following:

1.) Air conditioning did not work at all.
2.) One of the door lock buttons did not function at all.
3.) The cruise control did not work.
4.) Under braking, warning lights on the dash would randomly come on.
5.) One of the power windows did not work.
6.) Mismatched tires.
7.) Power antenna did not function properly.
8.) The list went on with more expensive to fix items...but you get the picture.

Needless to say I documented all of this with pictures and video, and sent these to the potential buyer so that he did not end up paying the top dollar figure they wanted him to pay, because there was EASILY $5,000 or more of work that needed done to this car. The company that did the 'inspection' eneded up refunding his money when faced with my documented evidence of their incompetence, and a better price was agreed to for the car. This is why I say that you either inspect it yourself, have someone you know and trust inspect it, or have IN WRITING very specific terms for which they are responsible for items they missed, and they cannot say, '...well, it was perfect when we inspected it...those items must have broken in transit...,' or some other cop out.

I hope this helps.

Good advice. I paid an "independent" Mitsu dealer to do a PPI on a Galant VR4 a few years ago. To their credit they did report that the car seemed down on power and maybe the turbo wasn't up to snuff. In fact it was shot and I had it replaced before flying up to pick up the car. To their debit (?) they reported only very light surface rust. When I got the car home I found places under the car near the door sills where I could about push my finger through! I fought rusty frozen fasteners for two years and finally sold the car. Too bad as otherwise it was a nice car and a lot of fun.

Back