• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do I know when the ABS modulator is going bad on my 91????

I went on a pretty long drive today with some other guys on Prime and were doing some spirited driving through the back country west of Colorado Springs. We were hitting triple digits for a good portion of the drive and I was using my brakes to their fullest when I needed to slow down.

Long story short I had to cut the drive off early because my ABS actuator(?) was making the loud noise it's known for when trying to pressurize the ABS system when my anti lock light came on after a few cycles with the actuator. I pulled over and checked the brake fluid reservoir and the brake fluid was seeping out and leaking below a little bit. I chalked it up to me boiling the brake fluid and it was seeping out because of how hot it was??

Anyway I had to head back home because I didn't want to loose my brakes at the speeds we were driving. On the way back I stopped at Pikes Peak Acura and talked with the tech who put in my headers (Certified NSX Tech Paul) and he said that I should probably try bleeding out the brake system first and put new fluid in then in the problem persists look at upgrading to the NA2 ABS system that Science of Speed sells.

What do you guys think? When do I need to replace the ABS actuator/whole unit??

Thank for the feedback

Early NSX tend to have this problem. My 92 was abs went bad and keep make noise. Dealer wanted $2k + to replace.I end up just unplugging it and brakes work fine for me. Hehe.

Try flushing your complete brake system first and see if that helps. If not you going g to have to replace the that part. If money is low just unplug that parts. :smile:

Lol... yea that's what he suggested first was to flush the whole system with new fluid and bleed it out. So if that doesn't work I can just unplug the ABS?? Will I have that light constantly on if I do?

Lol... yea that's what he suggested first was to flush the whole system with new fluid and bleed it out. So if that doesn't work I can just unplug the ABS?? Will I have that light constantly on if I do?

Yep! The light will stay on.

:frown:.....I'm so OCD about the idiot lights on any cars being on they drive me crazy if one of them is on, but I guess I'll tackle that if the ABS unit doesn't shut off after the brake flush. I know it's $2,100 through Science of Speed :frown:

Have you had any issues with your brakes locking up on you since you don't have ABS anymore?

Really? Where do you buy a delete kit and will this eliminate the anti-lock light that would be on if the system is unplugged or malfunctioning?

Cool, let me know what you find out!

Should I be concerned about running without ABS? Or is it more of a nuisance considering the technology of the time? I mean Honda felt that it was time to put in a updated and more technological version of the ABS unit in the 2000 and up NSX's too bad they didn't retrofit the older ones with the newer units if they knew that the early version had issues??

:frown:.....I'm so OCD about the idiot lights on any cars being on they drive me crazy if one of them is on, but I guess I'll tackle that if the ABS unit doesn't shut off after the brake flush. I know it's $2,100 through Science of Speed :frown:

Have you had any issues with your brakes locking up on you since you don't have ABS anymore?

Nope. Drove for a couple year with no problems what so ever. Sold it long time ago. You'll be fine.

No, I did this to my 92'. I currently have a 96 now.i have no problem with my 96 it was my 92 that had the same problem as you have now.

Cool, did the problem only exist on the early models 91-94? Or did it affect all models up until the change in 2000?

Honda updated the design slightly in 1993 since they realized the early units had problems ingesting dirt. Specifically, they revised the reservoir design. While the 93-99 design is better, it has the same general flaw since the reservoir is still vented to the outside air and it will eventually suck in grit that will jam the solenoids. You can reference Kaz's post here for the difference in the units:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?6286-NSX-Health-Check-Service&p=75279#post75279

Awesome thanks for that link!

Well if all else fails tomorrow with the bleeding of the solenoids then maybe I can get a second generation unit from 93 on and try and find one used that might be more cost effective for me for the interim until I have the cash for the new ABS system introduced in 2000.

Like his post said one owner just bought his used second generation system and he installed it with no problems as long as the VIN's and controller box matched up it went in no problem.

Last edited:
Really? Where do you buy a delete kit and will this eliminate the anti-lock light that would be on if the system is unplugged or malfunctioning?

You can easily bybass the ABS and keep the light off. All you have to do is disconnect it (the orange plugs under the hood connecting the ABS) then put a little wire connecting the two wires in the plug. This basically creates a loop. -- You can keep all the fuses in. No error codes etc.
This method will cost you ZERO! I'm home if you are near Highlands Ranch, I can do it for you in literally 2 minutes. ;-) Bring a paperclip or a piece of wire.

If you pull the fuses etc.. the light will stay on, and will drive you nuts.

Last edited:
Have you considered this?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/162710-ABS-ALB-modulator-rebuild-write-up

Or you can just unplug it as suggested above. Not sure what the technical differences are with the delete kit and just unplug it?

Interesting, I'll check out this thread and read up on what they are talking about. Thx

- - - Updated - - -

You can easily bybass the ABS and keep the light off. All you have to do is disconnect it (the orange plugs under the hood connecting the ABS) then put a little wire connecting the two wires in the plug. This basically creates a loop. -- You can keep all the fuses in. No error codes etc.
This method will cost you ZERO! I'm home if you are near Highlands Ranch, I can do it for you in literally 2 minutes. ;-) Bring a paperclip or a piece of wire.

That would definitely be an option as well if I go that route. Paul (Honcho) helped me out today, I went down to his house and he flushed out my ABS solenoids with new fluid and got the old crap out. So far so good with no sticking solenoids or pump going on trying to pressurize the system (fingers crossed). We'll see how long this lasts and then look at my possibilities, one thing is if I do go for bypassing the ABS I will take you up on your offer. Thx

For which two pins did you create the loop? This information would be very helpful for all those who signed up for the delete kit in the vendors section.

Do a search on "excercise" you will find many comments about fixing this. As I have mentioned, in the past 12 years, I have not had to replace one ABS system. You just have to keep them "fit":):).....

Regards,
LarryB

Honda updated the design slightly in 1993 since they realized the early units had problems ingesting dirt. Specifically, they revised the reservoir design. While the 93-99 design is better, it has the same general flaw since the reservoir is still vented to the outside air and it will eventually suck in grit that will jam the solenoids. You can reference Kaz's post here for the difference in the units:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?6286-NSX-Health-Check-Service&p=75279#post75279

How does dirt/grime get into the system? Is it thru the cap? Would a "reservoir sock" filter out the dirt?

Back