• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do I know when the ABS modulator is going bad on my 91????

Do a search on "excercise" you will find many comments about fixing this. As I have mentioned, in the past 12 years, I have not had to replace one ABS system. You just have to keep them "fit":):).....

Regards,
LarryB

Thanks for the advice, I'll do my best to keep it clean from now on and see if that keeps the solenoids happy until I'm ready to upgrade the unit or just unplug it and do it old school :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

How does dirt/grime get into the system? Is it thru the cap? Would a "reservoir sock" filter out the dirt?

That would be interesting if some sort of filter like what you said would prevent the contamination that leads to the solenoids acting up??

For which two pins did you create the loop? This information would be very helpful for all those who signed up for the delete kit in the vendors section.

If you took out the system It might be difficult to do this b/c you might have plugs laying all over the place.

If the system is still intact but you want to disconnect it this process is super easy. This process is super easy, and has worked flawless for me for over 3 years!
The plug is the orange plug direct below the master brake cylinder. It is the one that is somewhat difficult to reach.. It is reachable by hand or with a pair of long nose pliers.
All you have to do it disconnect it. Then put the paperclip or prong in the side that you pull out.. (connecting both ends together creating a loop) (see red clip in the pic) That is it!! Make sure all the fuses are still in.
The system will actually think the system is on but it is disconnected. Therefore the light stays off. See my pictures.. Sorry about the quality.
Let me know if it works.. good luck. (disconnect at your own risk-- -- lawyer disclosure.. LOL!:smile: )

Attachments

• nsxplug.jpg.jpg
    nsxplug.jpg.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Plug.jpg
    Plug.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
While waiting for a delete kit or whatever...try this:

Using a turkey baster empty the ABS reservoir. NOT THE REGULAR BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER RESERVOIR!!! Then fill with freshly opened brake fluid. Drive and work the brakes. Repeat several times. With luck you will flush out enough crap that the ABS will start working again. Repeat a few MORE times, engaging the ABS on sand, gravel, or a wet slick street. Each time you will find some funky stuff in the reservoir when you empty it, but it will get cleaner as you repeat the process. Finally...read the Wiki on this topic. It will explain how to exercise your ABS system regularly to avoid the problem.

I cured my ABS with this technique and it has remained functional for the two years since. But I do have a rebuild kit from warrenw because some day I will probably need it.

I unplugged mine and no lights on my dash maybe I unplugged the wrong thing LOL but no more noise.

Back