• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Accidental Original Acura Emblem

Sorry if this is long winded. But, I think the story warrants the Carpal Tunnel syndrome.

Several years ago when I purchased my first NSX and drove it back home 1500 miles, I got stuck in Louiseville, Ky due to a master and slave cylinder problem. While I was waiting, I walked into a book store and purchased a Hemming’s Classic Car Magazine. I happened to spot a letter to the editor in response to a past article on Acura’s history. It was from an employee of the ad agency that helped develop the Acura logo. In 1989, with the role out of the NSX quickly approaching, the agency had already printed brochures with the logo on the prototype cars and incorporated in the text. These brochures were printed early. In fact, so early that Soichiro Honda, who was retired but was still the “Supreme Advisor” of the company that bears his name, hadn't approved the logo which resembled calipers without the cross member of the Honda H. When he saw it he went ballistic and had it changed to the current logo of the Honda H pinched at the top to resemble the letter A to symbolize the connection of Honda to Acura and calipers of precision engineering.

However, some printed brochures had already gone out. And the NSX used in the brochures had the unapproved hood emblem as well. The first printing of the silver and black table book also had the wrong logo and the reprint of the August 1990 Road & Track First Test article had the wrong logo as well. Most were returned before they were given out. There are also supposed to be some hood emblems out there with the wrong logo that the ad agency had. This story is per the letter to the editor.

http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2011/07/01/hmn_feature14.html

Now, move to a week ago when a thread was posted in this memorabilia forum about the first brochures. I posted that I happen to have two brochures with the incorrect logo. Told the story from the letter to the editor. And I mentioned how cool it would be to have one of those hood emblems.

“Well ask and ye shall receive.” Prime member LMR, who is also the NSXCA southwest rep, posted, that a week earlier, he was contacted by a gentleman that worked for Honda/Acura in Torrance, Ca. And that the gentleman had one of the "original" emblems for the NSX and some of the brochures. He wanted to sell them to an NSX owner who would appreciate the history behind them. He told LMR, basically the same story I had posted. LMR got the brochures and as you can see I got the emblem in its original package, part number 75700-SL0-A02 which no longer exists. The current emblem for 91 to 01 NSXs part number is 75700-SL0-A03. Thank you Les for getting me in touch with that gentleman.

I spoke at length to the seller who retired from Honda/Acura after 27 years service. He told me that few people know that the first load of NSXs (300 of them) that came to America had the wrong emblem and the Honda president in Tokyo ordered the emblems taken off the cars as they left the boat and replaced with the correct emblem. The incorrect emblems were to be sent back to Japan and all had to be accounted for. He told me that they were pried off with a screwdriver and most all of them broke but all were sent back. I asked him how he got this emblem and he said he worked in the parts division. All of the spare parts were sent back to Japan except for the one he has and one that the now retired Honda PR director Kurt Antonius showed in an interview with Honda Tuning Magazine in August last year. He (the seller) said there may be a few at the ad agency and one or two in Japan but it was his understanding that the rest were all destroyed. I also found a small blurb on Wikipedia that verifies the story:

"Honda emblem inACURAte"

Peter, Nunn (October1990).. Wheels (Sydney): 28.

"Development of the Acura badge you see here — destined for upscale American Hondas such as the NSX and '91 Integra and Legend — caused an enormous amount of agro for company underlings. The original design was okayed without Mr Honda's approval, getting as far as full, final production before “The Man” cast eyes on it. With 5000 examples stamped — 309 of which had already been fitted to US-spec NSXs and the balance on Integras and Legends — "Honda San" firmly suggested the vertical goal posts be joined by a small horizontal bar. The bar, he reasoned, made the design A (for Acura) and an H (for Honda) — and his was the final word. The decision caused a flurry of activity, with badges being pried off and on paint work with screwdrivers. Every single original badge has been accounted for — and destroyed." Mr. Nunn wasn’t entirely accurate.

The timing of all of this is just incredible to me as I hadn’t given much thought to “emblemgate” since I read that letter to the editor. I couldn’t imagine seeing one of these much less actually owning one. I’m not sure but it just could be one of the rarest of NSX artifacts. I will also post this with a few more pictures on the Memorabilia Facebook page.

Attachments

• 20140725_104351.jpg
    20140725_104351.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,325
Last edited:
great story, and awesome little piece of acura/nsx history!

How much do you want for it. :D

A very cool story.

I's be hesitant on putting that emblem on my car. Chances are no one would notice, but in the event that some punk kid wants to put an Acura badge on his Honda and can't find any Integra's lying around. I'd be devistated.

I imagine its going on display or in a box of other collector goodies?

Thanks for sharing.

Lucas

Very cool. How does it feel to own a piece of Acura contraband? :biggrin:

Wow great story. I'd frame it along with a magazine scan of the Hemmings article.

You guys that want to buy it now had an opportunity when I posted in the orininal thread about this, you all missed the boat.:wink: Now if Ed does sell it I expect to get a cut from any profits he makes on it.:tongue:

BTW Ed, I'm very disappointed that you didn't send me a pic before posting here as we discussed.

Sorry about that Les. I really just forgot. But I hope you don't think that I'm appreciative of the contact that lead to my purchase. If Cal. gets an NSXPO (hopefully next year) and if you show up, the drinks are on me. Of course, if we somehow cross paths sooner the same goes. I can't thank you enough for the find.- Ed

Sorry about that Les. I really just forgot. But I hope you don't think that I'm appreciative of the contact that lead to my purchase. If Cal. gets an NSXPO (hopefully next year) and if you show up, the drinks are on me. Of course, if we somehow cross paths sooner the same goes. I can't thank you enough for the find.- Ed

It's ok Ed, I meant to put a :tongue: at the end. We are working on getting NSXPO in SoCal next year and of course I will be there if we get it.

- - - Updated - - -

This badge belongs in a museum!

It is. It's in Ed's museum.:smile:

What a really cool find that is. I would not sell it. Automotive history like that is so hard to come buy. Congrats on the piece!

Thanks for the comments everyone. Part of the fun in owning a rare and collectable car is finding all the historical stuff that goes with it. However, I have a max that I will spend on anything in that regard. So the NSX luggage, chrystal NSX and NSX watches are not on my radar. But, what little I've collected is fairly hard to find though certainly not impossible. This badge was not even a thought and it fell in my lap (thanks to LMR) at a price within my limit. I still can't believe it.

LMR
:"Now if Ed does sell it I expect to get a cut from any profits he makes on it."

Les if I do sell it to............

Shawn110975:"Ill buy it right now PM me. 4 digits is my max"

....for $9999 (NOT going to happen) you'd get quite a cut.

Honcho:"I'd frame it along with a magazine scan of the Hemmings article.

Actually, I plan to do just that. I have the actual page from Hemmings in a note book with other NSX brochures, documents and articles. And, I'm waiting on the badge that replaced it from the Acura dealer before I start working on the display.

Last edited:
Awesome Story ED. Great piece of history. You went to all that trouble, I just cut the piece off of my logo with a dremmel tool - looks almost as good.

OK just kidding....... Thanks for sharing. Want to see the final framed pics with both the A's and the printed brochure.

Last edited:
I was looking at it and it can be made very easy I will start making one tomorrow from a 2005 emblem cut cut the center out, then your gonna have to paint the edges with chrome model paint and done.

I will post pics when I am done see if I can match it I like the look and I will have it on my car now.

as for posting this before I must have missed it can you find me the link I would like to see the old thread pleaseeeee.

It will always be very suspect if it isn't in its original package with the part number. But, if it's real, it's still awesome. I think it was stated that they stamped 5000. I would find it hard to believe I have the only one outside Honda. The fact that Mr. Honda made such an issue out of it had to inspire a few employees to grab a few for posterity.

And if you can get it for under $9999 you have a great deal.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ok I have a bunch of emblems I am gonna try my best to replicate this. I will try with some of my uglier ones first then try my brand new 05 emblem as the last.

wish me luck guys will post a DIY thread if you guys like this rare emblem.

2014-07-26_10-27-47_741.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Im also gonna try these emblems I found on a wrecked car its very cool I thought these would make my NSX special like the Zanardi.

what do you think guys

2014-07-26_10-33-16_878.jpg

Ok I have a bunch of emblems I am gonna try my best to replicate this. I will try with some of my uglier ones first then try my brand new 05 emblem as the last.

wish me luck guys will post a DIY thread if you guys like this rare emblem.

View attachment 115011

- - - Updated - - -

Im also gonna try these emblems I found on a wrecked car its very cool I thought these would make my NSX special like the Zanardi.

what do you think guys

View attachment 115012

Go for it!

I particularly like the American Honda Emblems. Those are very cool. As for the Acura emblems, I think Mr. Honda made the right call and a smart one at that. The relationship between Honda and Acura should be evident in their logo. Especially, since they sell the same car as a Honda elsewhere in the world and it seems to work for them. I'm looking forward to your finished product. Post pictures.

BTW are those NSX wheel center caps? If so I wouldn't mess with them. Those are hard to find and expensive too.

Last edited:
Back