• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The future of driving

I'm certain and puzzled at the same time. Driving yourself will soon, a decade or two, maybe less it'll be a fond or maybe not so fond memory of the past. Yesterday I purchased a new car. I was apprehensive at first but then astounded to use the systems within the car. You see the car drives itself, albeit in 20 second bursts. You must retake the wheel every twenty seconds or the car will stop steering, it will continue to accelerate or brake though. I'm in awe to say the least.

But the experience got me to thinking what's not to far into the horizon, self driving cars completely autonomously getting me from point A to point B. It'll change the entire experience of driving permanently most likely with in our lifetimes. One will not need to drive themselves at all and if they want to they probably soon won't. Accidents will become a thing of the past. They will ultimately be contributed solely to human error after thousands of self driving cars are put into use without incident. Driving yourself will seem as barbarically as mid evil surgery. If you decide you don't want the car to do the driving for you and wish to drive yourself you'll be taking on liability you won't want to be encumbered with. People who cause accidents that result in bodily harm or death will be criminally charged and imprisoned. After all they are going to need a new source of revenue after speeding tickets and DWI's are gone. The computers could have done a better job and you should have allowed them to drive for you.

Cars of the future probably won't even have steering wheels, just a couple of sets of comfortable seats maybe even the fronts facing to the rears with a table in the middle so you can accomplish something on the drive to wherever your going. For that matter maybe no one will even own a car, but simply summon one via their phone when they need to get from A to B. This would result in few cars on the road or in a parking lot, maybe eliminating the parking lot all together. After summoning a car to use the car could be tracked on your phone for arrival time. This would also free up a lot of real estate which is currently unusable as it just sits empty waiting for cars to be parked on it. What will it do to real estate that now is considered to far of a drive from populated areas? And when you get to your destination you'll be delivered right to the front door, then the car goes to park itself or off to pick up the next delivery/person. Maybe people won't have to go to the store anymore as the car can be sent, filled with whatever you need and then returned to your home? Will it be like an uncomfortable elevator ride with a stranger that was picked up along your route?

So if any car will do this for you what will be the factors which separate one car from another? Comfort? Ride quality? I can't think of much else. Will traffic jams become a thing of the past? With cars communicating with other cars traffic jams should become a non issue. Speeds will increase on roads where there are no pedestrians. The car will know way in advance if there are cross walks, probably before the car even leaves your driveway. It'll know where construction is, anything it may need to compensate for will be accounted for way in advance of needing to make those accommodations.

Will individuals even own their own cars anymore? Probably not. Ride share for everyone or self service delivery. ~100 years ago people were getting around on horse back. They most likely thought their horse was better. Just as people today think a car operated by themselves is a better way to travel. You can still get around today on horseback, but not on the highways!

Road rage and inconsiderate drivers will become a thing of the past. The computer won't try and cut other cars off, in fact traffic will "blend" much smoother with the computers in control. The running of stop signs and red lights won't even exist anymore. Cars will most likely communicate with each other. Cars that are programmed for a long trip will fall into a line like a train, pick up speed and deliver you to your destination much more quickly then you could get there driving yourself. Sitting at a red light with no cross traffic will be a thought from the past. Cars again communicating with each other, will know if they even need to slow or stop at a cross walk. Fifty years from now a chip that's probably also a phone will be in or on every individual so these transportation devices, formally known as cars, will know if a predestination is in the path of travel.

This new car I purchased is insane. The technology has me in deep thought. When I'm driving, the car is constantly assisting me. If the car assists me too much and I drive too long the car will alert me that I'm getting tired and direct me to rest stop through the navigation. It's constantly taking readings from my body/inputs and can sense when I'm not alert. Eventually one or two cars into the future, I won't be needed at all.

Maybe I should buy a Red Barchetta and garage it now...

Rush had it right:wink:......I think the first and only place were cars and computers will be responsible are interstates.....the rest will take many more years to be practical.Think about all the average folks who could not afford the latest and greatest cars,there will still be human controlled cars for some time.

One person can not afford it, ten can afford to share it. Or more like will be "forced" to share. to insure themselves in a vehicle they self control will be unaffordable. If they can't afford the new technology they won't be able to afford to insure the old. Groups could form and purchase vehicles together. Maybe by neighborhood or needs. Maybe purchase multiple vehicles within one group. Today I need truck, tomorrow an SUV, so I buy into a group who has one, communicate through Facebook for scheduling. If the car can drive itself no one needs to waste their time dropping it off for when I need it. If we are both going the same direction at the same time, ride together. Maybe multiple people at the same work place join the same group and purchase a multi-seat van type vehicle. If vehicles can drive themselves, the only places an individual really has to go is a place where their body is required. If I can send my truck to the paint store and the people there can load my materials why would I send myself too? That ability alone will dilute the labor force, especially manual labor, immensely. Don't have a drivers license, no problem a car will be sent for you. It'll bring non drivers into the workforce. I know in parts of the country people sit outside Home Depot waiting to be picked up for work. I bet many of them know where work is just don't have a drivers license or vehicle to get there. Ride/vehicle shares would work for those people. I know so many people that don't have a job simply because they don't have a drivers license or a car. 50% of those people could now have a job and the other 50% would no longer have an excuse to not have one. :)

I wonder if in the future we will be charged by the mile for usage, or even be charged for how we use the roads? Again if all future vehicles essentially perform the same task, getting from point A to point B, there will have to be some form of uniqueness between vehicles so the manufactures can justify different price points. Just think about this for a second, if your NSX did not have a steering wheel and drove itself would you even want it? If yes, why? I'd defiantly pay extra for software that allowed the vehicle to go faster, pass on winding roads with hills where I can not see but the software can, hmm... will future cars even need headlights?

Last edited:
lol well we live in a society were individual freedoms are protected,civil liberties are defended,look at all the science fiction of the 50's and 60's predicting your present scenario.....it is a slow grinding process vetted in courts and in the halls of government and boardrooms across the world. I'm thinking there is a much greater chance of your predictions coming true in another smaller country

LOL steveny, I have pondered deeply about this very thing. My twist on it is that there will always be some that can afford to have their own "travel pods", these pods may not even have windows, or windows are upgrades. There would be pod dealerships from differen pod coach builders. Yours might be your office with fax machine, computer, desk, etc that lets you commute any distance to any job, appointment, customer, construction site as needed. You may also have a travel pod that you use for leisure with a couch and a wide screen TV. Some pods can reach faster speeds, some are nicer, some can go longer, some use less energy, all those will keep people spending money and updating their pods just like cars. People will be able to commute or go anywhere connected by roads for work, fun, visit friends, vacation, etc. You can have a pod with a bed, or the travel pod with a couch is a pull-out bed. You fall asleep as you normally would on your pull-out couch after watching TV but wake up in Destin Florida, spend the day there, maybe you even have a beach house there and your pod connects to it through a garage like room, and when you wake up, you open the door into your beach house. Spend the day in Destin, fall back asleep in the pod and wake up at home, or Vegas (because you spent the extra $20,000 to get the pod that can reach 200mph and travel 1600 miles in 8 hours, haha), or back at the office the next day, etc. It will give everybody so much freedom to visit places, people, monuments, etc. I'm all for it, and if it keeps my young daughters from ever driving as teenagers not paying attention because they are yelling and texting then I'm all for that too.

Last edited:
LOL steveny, I have pondered deeply about this very thing. My twist on it is that there will always be some that can afford to have their own "travel pods", these pods may not even have windows, or windows are upgrades. There would be pod dealerships from differen pod coach builders. Yours might be your office with fax machine, computer, desk, etc that lets you commute any distance to any job, appointment, customer, construction site as needed. You may also have a travel pod that you use for leisure with a couch and a wide screen TV. Some pods can reach faster speeds, some are nicer, some can go longer, some use less energy, all those will keep people spending money and updating their pods just like cars. People will be able to commute or go anywhere connected by roads for work, fun, visit friends, vacation, etc. You can have a pod with a bed, or the travel pod with a couch is a pull-out bed. You fall asleep as you normally would on your pull-out couch after watching TV but wake up in Destin Florida, spend the day there, maybe you even have a beach house there and your pod connects to it through a garage like room, and when you wake up, you open the door into your beach house. Spend the day in Destin, fall back asleep in the pod and wake up at home, or Vegas (because you spent the extra $20,000 to get the pod that can reach 200mph and travel 1600 miles in 8 hours, haha), or back at the office the next day, etc. It will give everybody so much freedom to visit places, people, monuments, etc. I'm all for it, and if it keeps my young daughters from ever driving as teenagers not paying attention because they are yelling and texting then I'm all for that too.

I agree it will give more freedom but I think many will say it'll take freedom away. If it allows me to travel and relax/work at the same time I'm all for it. If it eliminates accidents I'm all for that too. I've been doing nothing much but pondering this since I picked up the new car. I can't believe its real. I thought I'd die way before it was a reality. It's something I've dreamed about experiencing since I was a little kid. I had no clue it was on the car until the car was being delivered. Once the salesperson told me that all I wanted to do was leave the dealership. I've given a few rides in the car and watched people's chin drop every time. Even my brother-in-law who is expressionless 99.999999% of the time. In fact it's the first time I've ever seen the look of shock on his face. I had my mother-in-law screaming in tight traffic.

In the 1980s they said we would have flying cars by the year 2000.
IMO, I see car makers fighting it.
Why?
Because with self driving cars, there's much less need for 'cool' cars. No need for a fast car, or one that handles good.
If they're all pods, then Samsung could make them in China with robots and GM/Ford/Honda/etc are out of business.
So I would expect current car companies to lobby against it, and in this country, whoever has the biggest lobby group wins.

What car are we talking about here, an S-class?

Yes

- - - Updated - - -

Well before buying the car I didn't know this option was on it. After buying the car I've been researching the topic. I have found that almost every manufacturer is working on it. This will change the world just like the internet did. I believe it is the next big thing.

Man, now you got me reading about the S-class, and it's more advanced of a system than what they even claim it to be. Volvo, Nissan, etc are all over this technology as well not to mention Google which is probably the most advanced of them all. I think this is great. In as early as 2020 we can buy these early car/travel pods and get so much more work done while commuting from place to place. We will arrive faster, more rested, better prepared, on time, etc.

And it looks quite possible to just drive yourself around town but then get on the "automated lane" on the highway, set the destination and just sit back and let the car drive you as close to your destination via highways as possible and then you take over to navigate the small pedestrian crowded streets. Almost like HOV lanes but in auto pilot.

I would think that everyones car would merge into basically a train that is going the same direction on the highway. Other roads won't be fully automated (probably ever). I'd say another 80-100 years for total automation and banning of manual control. All the old people will be dead by then who would stop it. When 100% of the people think voting should be done on a computer it won't be far.

Japan will have it 20 years ahead of the rest of us.

perhaps a special lane like they have for carpools now that allows for these self-automated cars. The poor/middle class drive their manual cars and the rich or those working for large corps have their automated cars transporting them to wherever.

Man, now you got me reading about the S-class, and it's more advanced of a system than what they even claim it to be. Volvo, Nissan, etc are all over this technology as well not to mention Google which is probably the most advanced of them all. I think this is great. In as early as 2020 we can buy these early car/travel pods and get so much more work done while commuting from place to place. We will arrive faster, more rested, better prepared, on time, etc.

And it looks quite possible to just drive yourself around town but then get on the "automated lane" on the highway, set the destination and just sit back and let the car drive you as close to your destination via highways as possible and then you take over to navigate the small pedestrian crowded streets. Almost like HOV lanes but in auto pilot.

Me to, I've been doing nothing but reading up on it. I am amazed! It's gonna happen a lot sooner than anyone thinks, by 2020 for sure. It will be faster for sure. Driving around town is the best part of the system. I can't wait for the day no one gets a brake pedal or steering wheel to use offensively. Everyone will be just chill because no one will give a rats ass even if you could cut the pod off, it's the pods problem... The passengers probably wouldn't even know it anyways as they'd be busy playing cards or something.

- - - Updated - - -

I would think that everyones car would merge into basically a train that is going the same direction on the highway. Other roads won't be fully automated (probably ever). I'd say another 80-100 years for total automation and banning of manual control. All the old people will be dead by then who would stop it. When 100% of the people think voting should be done on a computer it won't be far.

Japan will have it 20 years ahead of the rest of us.

Exactly, that's v2v communications. If you're traveling down a road and your vehicle is communicating with other vehicles on the road it takes all the guess work out of what the other vehicle is going to do. If my vehicle knows that the next closest vehicle on the same road is a mile ahead and all the connecting roads have vehicles which won't be ready to enter the road I'm on until after I've passed the intersection it can then bump my speed up to 150mph and get me there sooner. Even more if the vehicle ahead of me is going near the same destination my vehicle can speed up to a few inches from that vehicle and reduce drag, increasing efficiency. Then more vehicles enter the same formation and efficiency goes up even more. There is a company already doing this with big rig trucks. The company installs hardware and software so trucks going the same direction can hook up like a train, ride close together and save lots of fuel, like around 8,000 dollars worth per truck per year. The system sets them back a couple grand and 2.5 cents per mile traveled. The system brakes and accelerates the trucks in unison.

- - - Updated - - -

perhaps a special lane like they have for carpools now that allows for these self-automated cars. The poor/middle class drive their manual cars and the rich or those working for large corps have their automated cars transporting them to wherever.

I doubt a special lane will be needed. I did ~150 miles in the car today. I touched the brakes three times... No one at the stop light in front of me one particular time. The other two were pulling out of my driveway and the last time pulling into my driveway. Through town below 18 mph the car doesn't require inputs.

Last edited:
And eventually at the rate we're headed the government will mandate that all cars must be autonomous. That means controlled, monitored, taxed, etc. Although the argument will be that we must do this for the "children's sake".

Exactly, that's v2v communications. If you're traveling down a road and your vehicle is communicating with other vehicles on the road it takes all the guess work out of what the other vehicle is going to do.

^^^ this

thats the beauty of this future, even mechanical failures will be handled properly as other cars are instantly aware of the failure and maneuver as needed, no old lady that panics at a blowout and swerves 6 lanes on the highway to then stop in the middle lane over a hill. Drunk idiots won't be killing people anymore. You can stumble into your car after the bar, fall unconscious and arrive home as safe as the awake guy in the other lane.

But sadly, jond is right, we live in a country where the biggest lobby groups and deepest pockets win, I just hope that it doesn't happen that way and people see the benefits.

We already have semi self-driving cars, just in short bursts. The majority of cars I pass or see within the city are piloted someone looking more down at their phone than watching the road and scanning their mirrors. God forbid I ever have to pull over on a highway. I'll stand on the other side of the guardrail before I sit in the car waiting for a tow. :)

In the 1980s they said we would have flying cars by the year 2000.
IMO, I see car makers fighting it.
Why?
Because with self driving cars, there's much less need for 'cool' cars. No need for a fast car, or one that handles good.
If they're all pods, then Samsung could make them in China with robots and GM/Ford/Honda/etc are out of business.

I can't think of a single item or commodity or service that doesn't have cool options. Underwear, watches, writing instruments, first class travel, organic food, water, white collar prisons... As long as there's the need for status or at least something a tick above the status quo, I think the auto makers will find a niche! :) I bet Honda R&D are already working on type-R pods. Hopefully the Acura pods are beakless by then.

I am very much looking forward to my first ride or drive in a tesla and to check out the new driver aid tech. My 2 cars are 12 and 21 years old.

Last edited:
There are already trials being done now with volunteers to replace the tax you pay at the pump with taxing based on # of miles driven. Too much revenue being lost due to increased gas mileage and growth of electric. They move to that universally and you really have big brother in your cars.

There's probably even MORE options for dealers to sell in a automated car. Right now they can only sell you things related to driving. In the future they can make your wife's pod a spa salon with music, scents, massaging chair. And your pod will have a big screen TV, recliners and an air hockey table. The sky is the limit with travel pods, so much more than leather or cloth, auto or manual, nav or no nav. Car manufacturers will become coach builders. RV companies can get in on this too.

Rich people can have a bigger pod with better materials. You can have an upstairs, a downstairs, an attic, a porch, hottub, storage space, a bathroom, shower, treadmill, sauna, kitchen, bunk beds, mini bar, fridge, space to bring your ATV, NSX to the track, trailer a boat...it really has no limits. Just like a home, it all depends on how much you want to pay.

like anything else, they will find a way to tax it, so if you have huge pod in the city you will pay more for road usage or parking, etc. but it's still up to you to blow as much as you want on as many pods as you want just like we currently do with cars. You'll still buy a new pod and go show your friends and then they want one too, or you add a mini fridge and keg cooler and all your buddies want you to take your pod everywhere, etc.

Last edited:
How far off are we from this?

buybuybuy_zpsa9d02f41.jpg

walle-e-humans-in-the-spaceship_zps8aa30f74.jpg

How far off are we from this?

I'm thinking it'll be more like this:

minority-report-cars.jpg

I think the idea that you'll own your personal car will go away. Five days a week my car spends 8 hours sitting in a parking lot and at least 8 hours sitting in my garage. If a car is self driving, there's no reason it couldn't drive off and drive someone else around. So perhaps you don't actually buy a car; you buy into a car sharing service. When you need to go someplace you tap a couple keys on your smart-device and the car comes and takes you to your destination.

View attachment 115134

I think the idea that you'll own your personal car will go away. Five days a week my car spends 8 hours sitting in a parking lot and at least 8 hours sitting in my garage. If a car is self driving, there's no reason it couldn't drive off and drive someone else around. So perhaps you don't actually buy a car; you buy into a car sharing service. When you need to go someplace you tap a couple keys on your smart-device and the car comes and takes you to your destination.

makes sense...........but wouldn't that basically be the same as a train, subway, bus Lyft..............is that Tom Cruise? What movie is it?

Last edited:
And eventually at the rate we're headed the government will mandate that all cars must be autonomous. That means controlled, monitored, taxed, etc. Although the argument will be that we must do this for the "children's sake".

Charged by the mile, route taken by the navigation, billed to a credit card. But the cost to build and maintain roads should greatly reduce. I can see a future with no stop signs, traffic signals, wouldn't need to mow medians. If they could install gradual turns at all intersections (where land permits) the communication between cars would blend traffic very smoothly. Every time I've gone out In the new car I can see how everything related to driving could be done better and more efficiently, which will decrease the need for fuel, make it cheaper and easier to build roads, save lives, reduce the cost of cars. I have yet to think of anything that would be worse.

- - - Updated - - -

There's probably even MORE options for dealers to sell in a automated car. Right now they can only sell you things related to driving. In the future they can make your wife's pod a spa salon with music, scents, massaging chair. And your pod will have a big screen TV, recliners and an air hockey table. The sky is the limit with travel pods, so much more than leather or cloth, auto or manual, nav or no nav. Car manufacturers will become coach builders. RV companies can get in on this too.

Rich people can have a bigger pod with better materials. You can have an upstairs, a downstairs, an attic, a porch, hottub, storage space, a bathroom, shower, treadmill, sauna, kitchen, bunk beds, mini bar, fridge, space to bring your ATV, NSX to the track, trailer a boat...it really has no limits. Just like a home, it all depends on how much you want to pay.

like anything else, they will find a way to tax it, so if you have huge pod in the city you will pay more for road usage or parking, etc. but it's still up to you to blow as much as you want on as many pods as you want just like we currently do with cars. You'll still buy a new pod and go show your friends and then they want one too, or you add a mini fridge and keg cooler and all your buddies want you to take your pod everywhere, etc.

Mercedes already has scent in the car I bought. It's a small glass jar of perfume in the glove box. The climate control injects a bit here and there to keep the environment smelling nice. It works well too.

If the pods are nice enough in the future why even own a house. Go to work, send the pod to parking or have it just drive around until you pinch out. At night live in the thing while it's parked or simply just drives around at slow speeds on back roads?

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 115134

Yep, and it's all scheduled by Facebook or something like Facebook. Just think Facebook could actually become profitable... And I turned down the ipo shares I was offered because I didn't see value then.

If the pods are nice enough in the future why even own a house. Go to work, send the pod to parking or have it just drive around until you pinch out. At night live in the thing while it's parked or simply just drives around at slow speeds on back roads?

I have this vision that your pod is an extension of your home. You step right into your home. Even for a vacation home in a high rise, a standardized pod can take you there and go up the structure like an elevator and "slide" into its space adjacent to your apartment, bam! You step into a 15th floor patio facing the Pacific. That night, you fall asleep in the pod and wake up at your regular home again.

Start buying cheap land a few hours away from your city! The 6 hour drive sucks now, but in 15 years can be done while sleeping or watching TV, eating, playing, working, etc. and will take half the time. 15 years into the future, that cheap a$$ land you bought is now worth a lot because it's considered right outside the city instead of BFE like the caveman from 15 years prior would have said.

Back