• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2004 nsx converted into automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2nsx

Suspended
How hard would it be to convert a 2004 nsx from a manuel into an automatic?

i found the perfect 2004 this weekend with only 44k miles.

My thought is to swap out my current 1996 automatic nsx

I know the automatic only comes with the 3.0 engine. So do I have to swap out the entire drivetrain?

Anyone know how much labor gonna be involved?

we have been searching high and low for a 02+ automatic nsx.... Seems like no one has one for sell.

Also would this deprecate my car value? I'm thinking it might increase it since it's so rare to find a 02 automatic.

Advice greatly appreciated thanks

The Wiki shows 37 2002+ autos were sold out of 862 in total so only 4% were autos.
I'm not knowledgeable on resale values but it would seem 96 % of the owners wanted a manual so it might suggest while rare autos are not in great demand and likely sell for less despite costing more.
I would think a manual modified to be an auto would sell for even less than a stock auto.

Picard-facepalm-animated.gif

Better plan is to wait for 02+ auto to come up for sale. They are not as desirable as 6 speed so once you find one you will be much better off. If you can't wait, the convert your current auto nsx to 02+. Not a great plan but better then converting a 6 speed to auto

If you can't wait, the convert your current auto nsx to 02+.

+1

I've often dreamed of building a fake Imola automatic for my girlfriend to drive (her favorite NSX color). Definitely easier than finding a real one to buy!

why not just learn to drive a manual transmission? an NSX is a very easy car to drive, there probably isn't a better clutch and transmission in any other car...

The automatic is for my wife, we currently have a 1992 nsx Manuel and a 1996 automatic. Wife's likes the 02 looks. I want a six speed. 2 birds one stone.

Tomorrow I'm gonna get a quote from auto wave n see how much it's gonna cost me for the swap.

Just curious how much it's gonna cost me. I know there gonna be lots of labor.

There is no 02 automatic for sell anywhere that I kno of.

How about just 02+ converting the front and rear end of you're wifes NSX? It would be much cheaper then doing an engine/tranny swap.

The NSX is often one of those cars that are "repaired" rather than replaced, making it so hard to find parts. As 06_typeS said, you're better off just buying an already automatic version or doing an engine swap. You'll have a bigger trunk too ! :) lol

Honestly unless you have money leaking out as you bend over, it isn't worth even thinking about.

Or (assuming you've already tried to teach your wife to drive a standard...and failed) use a small fraction of the money that you would have spent on the auto conversion to have a professional teach her.

Ill do the swap send me both cars easy as pie.not kidding send me both cars I will do this swap for less than anyone On earth.

I have no overhead no employees only me to do all the work. so if Bob@ Bobs engine shop says he will do it for 10,000 I will do it for half.

There was a clean 02+ yellow Auto on ebay for a while if I remember right...

simple to convert her auto to the 02 look.

probably much cheaper to just convert her 96 to a 02+ interms of the exterior.

How is your desire for a six speed being satisfied once you take it out and put in an auto?

Sounds like he then plans to put the 6 speed taken out of the 02+ Nsx that is converted to an auto and put it into his 5 speed NSX. Its not a horrible plan I kind of see his logic. If he just told his wife he is going to blow 5K to get an extra gear he might be sleeping on the couch for a year. He's not as dumb as you all may think :D

Just my opinion, but there is just so much wrong with this. Please don't buy that 2004 and butcher it by removing the transmission. Nsxot1c, you are correct. I believe it had a yellow interior as well.

Just got off the phone with auto wave. Ball park estimate $12k Wow that's just the labor. I was really hoping to be under $7k. My search for a 02+ automatic continue. It's rare to find an automatic. Wife not in a rush, but with these crazy nsx prices rocketing, who knows where the nsx prices gonna be in the next 5 years. So I hope to find one by the end of this year or I'm gonna get the Tesla instead.

Shane was telling me all the things that needs to be swap:

6-Speed Transmission
engine
MT Camshafts
MT ECU
Clutch Master Cylinder
Clutch Slave Cylinder
Clutch lines
Clutch pedal & parts
MT Gauge Cluster
plus a whole lotta little stuff.

If you really did a full swap you wouldn't need to do the cams etc. because you said you have a older auto now? And you want to switch it to stick? Just pull the motor trans and all out of the older one swap them and the corresponding electronics. You'd have a 3.2 6speed on the older one and a 3.0 auto in the other. But really if all your wanting is the different front end. Buy the 04 take the front and rear put it on the older ( I think you said 96) auto. Then the older front on the new one and boom it's done. Paint work is probably a lot cheaper.
Just a idea.

Just buy her a Corvette, they haul ass with an automatic, and you would have a new toy........

How Ez would it be to switch out the whole body, fender hood bumpers 1/4 panels trunk. Both the cars are red... Wonder would it work out. The only thing I think won't match is the panel next to the t top. Cause my 1996 formula red is sorta faded.

Anyone nek now how much labor that's gonna be? Do I need to re wire the head lights?

as for an 02 conversion, that's gonna cost $10k n up.

How Ez would it be to switch out the whole body, fender hood bumpers 1/4 panels trunk. Both the cars are red... Wonder would it work out. The only thing I think won't match is the panel next to the t top. Cause my 1996 formula red is sorta faded.

Anyone nek now how much labor that's gonna be? Do I need to re wire the head lights?

as for an 02 conversion, that's gonna cost $10k n up.

The red is different on the 96 vs 02. It changed from formula red to new formula red. The conversion parts kit is listed on scienceofspeed.com, the main body panels are headlights, hood, bumper, rear lower valance, tail lights, door inserts and side skirts. The side skirts really optional though since most people don't even notice them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back