• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advice on Spacers for the rear of my 91.....

I just picked up a new set of wheels in the following configurations 18x8 +35 & 19x9.5 +40, I knew it would be close on the rear with that offset with the stock brake bracket but didn't have a choice with the particular wheel I went with as the +40 offset was my only option. I went to have them installed yesterday at Discount Tire and had them check fitment before dismounting my tires on my old wheels, they fit and cleared the bracket by about 1mm! We checked to make sure the clearance would not interfere with the wheel spinning around and it didn't by a hair.

So I had them mounted and went home but was thinking maybe I should put on a 5mm spacer on the rear or shave down my bracket to give me a few more mm or space?? What do you guys think?

Discount was adamant that they would not recommend putting on spacers, and that they wouldn't bolt/torque down my wheels if I brought a spacer in for them to throw it on real quick? I know a lot of guys here run spacers and definitely more aggressive than a 5mm spacer, so I don't think it would be a concern, but the way they were talking about spacers they made them seem like they were dangerous?

In any case what should I do, shave the brackets a little with a dremel, or buy some 5mm spacers for the rear? And if so where would you suggest that I get quality spacers from?

Pics to follow in another thread once the weather cooperates and I can wash and clean the car for some pics hopefully in the next few days as it was pouring cats and dogs over here yesterday:frown:

Thx
Gabe

Gabe,

When I was running my OEM wheels I had 25 mm spacers and had zero issues. The discount guys here always asked me if I wanted them to check and re-torque them when I changed tires. Doesn't Discount sell spacers? Spacers should not adversely effect the car if they are properly installed.

Gabe,

When I was running my OEM wheels I had 25 mm spacers and had zero issues. The discount guys here always asked me if I wanted them to check and re-torque them when I changed tires. Doesn't Discount sell spacers? Spacers should not adversely effect the car if they are properly installed.

I'm running 25mm also. I think it depends on the person you get at Discount. One of the assistant managers says he always re-torgue the spacers and another worker there the other day said "why are you running spacers?", so who knows. I think if installed properly, it will be fine.

Thanks guys, I checked SOS website and they only have 5,15,25mm H&R spacers available. Do you know where I would get quality 10mm spacers from?

Also SOS said that theirs come with new longer studs hence the price for their spacers, do I need longer studs for a 5, or 10mm spacer? Also he said I would need open ended lug nuts to go with the longer studs. Is this true that I would need open ended lug nuts with the above sized spacers?

Thx

I use the H&R 5mm for my fronts to clear the 2002+ wheels. Longer studs are a good idea for 5mm and I use them. In fact, my H&R kit came with the longer studs in it. Definitely use for 10mm.

I use the H&R 5mm for my fronts to clear the 2002+ wheels. Longer studs are a good idea for 5mm and I use them. In fact, my H&R kit came with the longer studs in it. Definitely use for 10mm.

Ok good to know that you thought it was a good idea to use longer studs, what about the lug nuts? Did you buy new open face ones that SOS told me to get, or just use the existing lugs you had?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a 19 x 9.5 +40 tires are 265/30

They were my old wheels...owner added a 15mm spacer. They look perfect to me
View attachment 115264

Yep same specs as mine, and that 15mm spacer looks nice with those Mirabeau wheels! Hmmm maybe I should just go with the 15mm H&R spacers from SOS. Curious though why did you sell those? Those wheels were one of my choices when I was choosing what to get?

Back