• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Amazing vertical imaging w/ coincident tweeters in stock location

The shop that just finished putting a new system in my NSX will post up a detailed build log shortly... But I wanted to quickly mention the speakers that they put in the doors as the sound is truly sublime.

http://www.morelhifi.com/car-audio/hybrid-ovation-ii/hybrid-integra

In this case we tossed the passive crossover as my head unit (DEH-80PRS) is fully 3-way active.

We talk a lot on this forum about how and where to put tweeters higher up in the car... but honestly, with these speakers in the stock location, it sounds to me like there are tweeters in the pillars - even though there aren't. The soundstage is up at eye level for me even though the tweeters are pointing at my ankles. It is truly hard to believe.

Just wanted to share - don't cut up your doors! Get point sources and a head unit that can do proper EQ and TA, and have it tuned by someone that knows what they're doing. That's all. :smile:

I believe it. I have been able to get pretty decently high (At least lower windshield height) imaging using the stock speaker locations and angling the tweeters. A shop with much more experience than I would have no problem doing so. I'm not a fan of putting the teeters high up on the door or a Pillars unless the mid driver is close by, and even then I feel it creates too much of an unequal path length from each speaker. Moving the tweeters far from the mid driver also introduces some phase problems. I'm a fan of as equal path length as possible and as close to single point source as possible. Sounds like the shop that installed your system did an excellent job.

Sadly there are no dual din head units with the tuning ability of the best single-din Pioneers (80PRS and 99RS) - so NSX owners wanting double-din functionality would be stuck without the ability to TA the mids and highs separately unless they squeeze in something like a Mosconi 4to6 in between the head unit and the amp - which are very small and easy to tuck away, but expensive.

well years ago I was exploring options and found one I never used but thought was a great Idea, its the dome light from an Acura Vigor it has 2 bose tweets build inside and it fits bolt for bolt to the NSX and they come in all colors to. I posted this on prime but was shot down. LOL will try and find a pic of it for you guys

- - - Updated - - -

vigortweted.png

Hmm... that might work in the NSX coupes... in the targas the dome light moved back behind the headrests.

Would be interesting to squeeze a tiny amp and bluetooth receiver in it and have it be a full drop-in replacement stereo for the super lightweight track guys. I bet if you gutted a pair of Audioengine A2 speakers and stuffed the drivers in there you could have a good-enough stereo for nav and spoken word radio under 10lb....

Bad ass 3-ways components. Morels is the Shiet! Very pricy. You are looking in the 1-2 even 3 grands + price range for a set of Morels components. Looked at a 8' inch Morel sub for my Angus box and it was going for $700+ just for one 8'. Damn! Couldn't see myself paying that much for an 8' inch sub. :tongue:

Bad ass 3-ways components. Morels is the Shiet! Very pricy. You are looking in the 1-2 even 3 grands + price range for a set of Morels components. Looked at a 8' inch Morel sub for my Angus box and it was going for $700+ just for one 8'. Damn! Couldn't see myself paying that much for an 8' inch sub. :tongue:

These hybrids were $600 for the pair. With good x-over they are filling in the midbass nicely and I have a ~$200 audiomobile 8" sub giving the punch.

Imaging is best further down low. Good job. Can't wait to see their post on the Audio build. This is on my list for next year.

Not sure what your budget is or how committed you are to doing things yourself but if you can stand to be without your car for ~3 weeks (can't rush art) I highly recommend driving up here and having these guys take care of it for you. I cannot believe how good my car sounds.

So the shop mounted your tweeter in front of your midbass?
What amp are you using?

I have to agree that you can get great stereo results in the tiny cabin of the nsx. I did my system a while back and have been loving it whenever I drive it.

Last edited:
So the shop mounted your tweeter in front of your midbass?
What amp are you using?

I have to agree that you can get great stereo results in the tiny cabin of the nsx. I did my system a while back and have been loving it whenever I drive it.

Not so much that they mounted it there as that that is how the speaker was designed to work.

The amp is an ARC Audio Xdi 1100.5.

I've seen several different threads/posts on your build but haven't seen any price info. Care to share the ball park figure?

I've seen several different threads/posts on your build but haven't seen any price info. Care to share the ball park figure?

I'd prefer not to post if that's alright. The shop didn't tell me to keep it a secret or anything, but the internet is forever and I'd rather not have someone dig up this thread in a decade when arguing with them about an estimate.

As far as parts, I already had the DEH-80PRS head unit but that can be got for around $250 nowadays, the Audiomobile sub was $200, the morel speakers were $600, the amp lists for $679. So round up and say $1500 worth of audio-related parts total to get the amazing sound quality I'm talking about.

Can I plug the stuff I have for sale on your thread.... LOL

I'd prefer not to post if that's alright. The shop didn't tell me to keep it a secret or anything, but the internet is forever and I'd rather not have someone dig up this thread in a decade when arguing with them about an estimate.

As far as parts, I already had the DEH-80PRS head unit but that can be got for around $250 nowadays, the Audiomobile sub was $200, the morel speakers were $600, the amp lists for $679. So round up and say $1500 worth of audio-related parts total to get the amazing sound quality I'm talking about.

fair enough I suppose. At least I know what the equipment would cost.

The most important part of this system is the tuning, not the components. It's not any different than tuning an engine to get a lot more power. and if you owned my fosgate processor you could do that... These are very good components but they are not the ONLY ones out there if someone is on a budget.... just call up Tannoy or KEF and tell them you need to buy a part for your home speaker, they both make coincident source drivers... or buy an architectural speaker and rip out its driver... or just mount your tweet really close and let my... I mean... your processor do some time alignment. The key to door speakers is the "box" you build out of the door for the speaker. That's why I was modifying the oem Bose boxes.

Yep. I happened to go with a very capable single-DIN head unit designed for sound quality (& including advanced processor-like tuning capabilities), but if you wanted to go with a more general-purpose feature-packed double-DIN head unit (or, heck, stay on the stock one for some reason, or not use a head unit at all and just come straight out of something like an iStreamer), you could put the processor that TURBO is selling behind the driver's seat, the amp he is selling behind the passenger seat (where I have mine), and get great sound.

Tuning is really the key to squeezing great imaging and performance out of this non-ideal tweeter location.

Last edited:
Back