• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM parts weights

I recently picked up a 91 Sebring NSX. While going through the car, I decided to start weighing individual parts. If you're interested in weight reduction, hopefully this thread will help you decide what's worth removing. Remember, incremental weight reductions add up to huge savings. A few lbs here and there can mean a lot.

If you would like to participate, please post up a photo link of the part on a scale with the weight shown. We'll also need the year/chassis of your NSX for consistency.

(I'm new to the NSX and the Prime community, so feel free to school me for any reason!)

The following parts are from a 1991 NA1 NSX. Weight in lbs.

Part Description - lbs - part number
(Click description to view picture)

Body

Rear Crash Beam Assembly - 25.55
Rear Bumper Assembly - 20.30
Front Crash Beam Assembly + Washer Bottle + Horns - 23.35
Front Corner Markers - 1.45
Left Front Fender Liner - 1.30

​Cabin

Traction Control Module - 3.10
Steering Wheel - 6.30
Steering Wheel Airbag - 3.40
SRS Unit - 2.30 - 77932-SL0-A81
SRS Sensors - 2.30 - 77930-SL0-A80
SRS Harness - 1.45 - 77961-SL0-A85
(note: removal of the srs harness disables the cruise and horn controls)
Climate Control Unit - 1.30 - 79650-SL0-A03 + 79610-SL0-A02
Center Air Duct & Clock - 1.00
Bose Headunit - 5.30
Bose Subwoofer - 5.20
Bose Speaker Assemblies - 8.40
Bose Center Speaker - 0.65
Center Speaker Shroud - 2.00
Rear Window Lower Trim - 1.20
Behind Driver Panel - 1.00
Behind Passenger Panel - 1.85
Behind Passenger Corner Panel - 1.10
Console Armrest - 2.65
Driverseat Assembly - 40.80
Glove Box Assembly - 4.10
Owners Manual - 1.20
Passenger Door Panel Assembly - 10.15
Driver Floormat - 3.10
Passenger Floormat - 3.10

Engine Bay

Cooling Fan - 2.55

Trunk

Antenna Assembly - 2.10 - 39150-SL0-G01
Tire Change Kit - 7.85

Boot

Spare Tire - 29.20 - 42750-SL0-A03
Spare Tire Mounting Bracket - 2.45
Cruise Control Assembly - 4.00

Wheels

Lug Nuts - 1.45

Aftermarket

Momo Mod.78 Steering Wheel, Standard Works Bell Hub, Works Bell Quick Release - 4.95
Battery Assembly with Generic Lead-Acid Battery
Kinetic Custom Machine, Light Lithium-ion Battery Assembly - 6.50

Mike B

Last edited:
I hope this thread goes somewhere

I got a surprise for this thread then it's almost complete need a few more days to finish taking pics

I got a surprise for this thread then it's almost complete need a few more days to finish taking pics

Sounds exciting. Does that mean you're going to post weights of ever single part on the NSX? That would be excellent ;)

Just updated the OP with more parts.

Mike B

I think it would be better if you used the metric measure the rest of the world might chime in, but isnt there a weight reduction thread already or is this different somehow

Unfortunately, I was raised to think in "standard" measurements, thanks to the USA. I'm sorry that it doesn't translate well for the international NSX owners, but you can imagine how I'd feel if it were metric. I'm not opposed to having both kg & lbs listed, if you'd like to do the conversions.

I did a quick search and came across an unofficial weight reduction thread. It isn't as thorough as I'd like this thread to be.
There are also some numbers in the nsx prime wiki section.

Mike B

The problem with the weight reduction thread is almost all of the posts are "it feels like XX lbs in my hand" and they post it up as a weight. Someone one there said 40 lbs for the rear beam, for example. :rolleyes:

most of us could lose kg's in the gut dept save us a whole lot of money on weight saving :) and yes good thread just thought kg's listed as well would be easier for all

The problem with the weight reduction thread is almost all of the posts are "it feels like XX lbs in my hand" and they post it up as a weight. Someone one there said 40 lbs for the rear beam, for example. :rolleyes:

Ya, the beams feel much heavier than they are. They're just so massive and heavy. Some parts with mass are really hard to tell. Like the center speaker shroud; it felt like a lb max, but weighed 2lbs. Hard to judge since the weight is lightly distributed across the whole piece.

This thread is gold. Keep up the good work.

Cheers.

Mike B

quick question on the weight of parts does the latter model cars come with a different AC unit and if so is it lighter, mine needs to be rebuilt

No worries mate I found the answer and it was not in the FAQ/Wiki as suggested if it was I couldnt find it, there is 2 different AC units but the weights are identical

I'm discontinuing this thread for now. Prime is making it difficult by revoking the edit function for old posts. My original post with all the information I compiled can no longer be edited. The purpose of this thread was to have an easily accessible/viewable and accurate list of OEM parts weights. I can't offer that if the post cannot be edited.

Thanks Prime.

Mike B

Back