• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will NSX prices soar after second gen is released

Greetings from Iowa,
I am taking my time watching NSX's for sale--I have always dreamed of adding one to my collection since the first one was built over 20 yrs ago----my current track car is a 2007 Z06 and I track it on the Mid American Motorplex road course in Pacific Junction Iowa which is a blast.

I am restoring a 1959 austin healey 100-6 (which has been more work than anticipated!). Just finished the restoration of a 1950 chevy 3 window truck that was my great grandfathers. I am in no hurry to buy a NSX---looking at '91-93 models with above average mileage. Does anyone feel the prices will be out of line after the second generation comes out? I would rather wait till I am finished restoring my austin healey, which will be late next year. I know anytime a new model is released, the excitement can raise the value of the first generation, or it can lower the price since many will flock to the new model.

The new model will cost 6 digits, whereas the '91-93 examples that I am viewing are in the high 20's, so I am not expecting that these buyers/owners will be cross-shopping. Just curious to hear your opinions. I would rather wait till 2015 to buy. I know it won't have the power compared to my C6 Z06, but I would like to have both to track at MAM. Thanks.

For your price range - no.

The vehicles that may be effected by the NSX2 release in my opinion are:

- ultra low mileage 1991-1993 cars in pristine, unmodified condition (increase)
- 2002-2005 (decrease - as people sell them to get the new car)

Don't worry though, at the pace Acura is moving, you will likely have your Austin Healey done and be halfway through your next project ;) Post up some pictures of your restoration work, I for one would enjoy seeing it.

I'm no expert but if your looking for a track quality (high miles, salvage title, car with a story) NSX I doubt the price will jump any if at all from that high twenties mark. Its the low mile, all original collector grade car that may experience a subtle spike in value with continual increase over time. The average condition car, in my opinion will maintain its current value at the very least and slowly increase in price as time marches on.

Thanks for the wisdom. My austin healey is old english white with red coves and the engine is backfiring and performed terribly on the leak down test. Appears the piston rings are shot, and valves are bad. This is not the original engine. I have the original numbers matching engine in my garage with a thrown rod, and will have that motor rebuilt and the car will be back to original with all numbers matching. I also applied for a British Motors Heritage Trust certificate which will authenticate the car and give me all its history and build date. The engine bay is the wrong color (red) so when the mechanic is rebuilding the engine, I will strip the bay, sand-blast and paint it white. I will be painting the frame and have a body man cut out the lower dog legs of the rear quarters where I have some rust, and weld in new patch panels. The Healey is fun to drive--I can touch the highway when I drive-it sits that low! That is what I like about the NSX and my Z06--they have one of the lowest centers of gravity in the field. I won't rush my purchase---thanks from Iowa!

I follow the modern classic car market closely and in my opinion if you're looking at getting your hands on an appreciating asset you will do very well to get yourself the nicest cleanest (stock) Acura you can find. Try to find low mileage with no story / accidents etc... and the less owners the better. Of course that'll get you in the mid 30s at best but still a bargain now. Before you know it, like the E30 M3s and Z3 M Coupes they'll start to climb at a 30-50% clip per year.

It's only a matter of time w/ the NSX and the First Gen Viper

For your price range - no.

The vehicles that may be effected by the NSX2 release in my opinion are:

- ultra low mileage 1991-1993 cars in pristine, unmodified condition (increase)
- 2002-2005 (decrease - as people sell them to get the new car)

Don't worry though, at the pace Acura is moving, you will likely have your Austin Healey done and be halfway through your next project ;) Post up some pictures of your restoration work, I for one would enjoy seeing it.

I don't think the 02-05s will be sold in any kind of quantities to buy the new car. They are totally different beasts. I don't think people will want to pay 40k plus for a high mile 91, instead of 60k for a low mileage 02-03. I know I wouldn't.

i think the only thing that says rise in value will be people's reinterest in the model. as it becomes desireable again because people remember they like them the value will rise temporarily. sort of a false demand

I don't think people will want to pay 40k plus for a high mile 91, instead of 60k for a low mileage 02-03. I know I wouldn't.

Correct - no one would do that.
However, people will pay 40k plus for a low mileage 91. Finding a low mileage 02-03 for 60k is a bit of a challenge even now.

Recently, Jay Leno's Garage ran did a segment (very positive comments) on a car model like one that I have owned for 30 years.
After being "underappreciated" (by the market) for most of its life, it has jumped in recognition and value (auctions and Hagerty Insurance).
There was also a modified one highlighted at SEMA last year.

So, get a little national press and then get Jay to say some nice things and then watch what happens

I follow the modern classic car market closely and in my opinion if you're looking at getting your hands on an appreciating asset you will do very well to get yourself the nicest cleanest (stock) Acura you can find. Try to find low mileage with no story / accidents etc... and the less owners the better. Of course that'll get you in the mid 30s at best but still a bargain now. Before you know it, like the E30 M3s and Z3 M Coupes they'll start to climb at a 30-50% clip per year.

It's only a matter of time w/ the NSX and the First Gen Viper

Agree. Very clean, original cars have been climbing in value and selling steadily at auction for the last year. The better the condition the faster the climb in value is.

Checking Hagerty value track:

Value Graph Aug 2014.jpg
Its anybody's guess what the release of the 2nd Gen will do to the originals value. But my guess is given stable economic conditions prices will continue to rise for a year or two longer and then flatten out at some point regardless of what the Gen 2 does.

Back