• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Own or considering a Chevy Volt?

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
I've been doing the math and considering the daily commute and operational expenses with running a "regular" car.. Leasing (or owning) a Volt seems quite compelling. I do about 45 miles RT of commuting in moderate to heavy traffic (0-55mph)

Anyone here own one? Would be happy to hear your thoughts.

2015-chevrolet-volt-electric-car-mo-exterior-648x316-07.jpg

I have one. It's absolutely fantastic and if you can accomplish your daily commute within a battery charge (~38 miles) and/or have charging opportunities available at your work place, it is an absolute no brainer.

Only thing to be aware of is that a facelift/refresh of some kind is rumored for next year's model... so if you care about having the latest, wait and get that, or if you want a great deal as dealers try and get the "old one" off the lot, wait for that...

Yeah. I basically can't say anything bad about it. It's the ultimate daily driver.

I keep thinking.. "What am I missing here?" Seems like a no-brainer.

I spend $400-500 in gas a month + Car payments. A Volt lease is $300/month, no gas, electricity is cents per day, and I get a brand new car that's quiet and not a big piece of turd to drive.

I guess my only question now is... is it really NOT a big piece of turd to drive? It's not annoying to drive like a Prius in Eco mode right? I guess i'll find out when I schedule a test drive.

Have you driven a Leaf so that you could comment on the differences? My wife drives one and likes it. I prefer my NSX.

Yeah. The Leaf is a $25k car that rides and drives like a $15k car (so you are paying $10k extra for the electrification) but it still goes over bumps like and has the road noise of an econobox.

The Volt is a $35k car that rides (maybe not drives) like a $60k car. The ride is smoother and quieter than any base-model C class Mercedes. The comfort level is incredibly high and I find driving around in it very soothing and calming.

I keep thinking.. "What am I missing here?" Seems like a no-brainer.

I spend $400-500 in gas a month + Car payments. A Volt lease is $300/month, no gas, electricity is cents per day, and I get a brand new car that's quiet and not a big piece of turd to drive.

I guess my only question now is... is it really NOT a big piece of turd to drive? It's not annoying to drive like a Prius in Eco mode right? I guess i'll find out when I schedule a test drive.

I was surprised by how rigid and grippy it was. I think the big battery running all the way up and down the center of the car provides a strong "spine". To me at least the dynamics were far superior over the Jetta it replaced.

The torque output from a stop seems to be computer-limited and ramps up slowly, but the torque from a 5-10mph roll is suuuuper fun. So, take your foot off the brake, let it get up to its maximum 3mph creep speed, and then mat it. It's the only car I've owned that I was able to make (with traction control off, of course) do a FWD rolling burnout.

Do it! I've driven my co-workers and I like it. They're not fast or sporty, but I'm older and don't really care about that anymore for my daily commute.

I'm a big fan of the electric vehicles and hybrids. We were on the waiting list for the Model X, but had to give it up when we needed another SUV unexpectedly.

I still love my 2010 Prius after five years of ownership. Only gas (currently my commute nets 67MPG indicated - more like 63 calculated), wipers, and once-a-year oil changes. I melted the OEM yoko's after a track session at CMP but that's another story....

Dave

You can even buy these really cheap now I heard and it makes total financial sense. Regan I think you're onto a good thing.

Can you still get the green or white HOV lane stickers for them? If you're commuting in an area with HOV lanes, this might seal the deal.

I considered a leasing one when all the bad news was out and they had huge incentives. Texas requires sales tax on the new car purchase price and the economics weren't quite there for me personally given my short commute and not totally horrendous 20mpg from my s2000 DD. In a different state I probably would have went for it.

At this point in time, however, I'd probably opt for the 2014/15 honda accord hybrid. ~50mpg real world and the efficiency is generally independent of your driving habits.

Electricity is not cheap here , but SDGE does have a discounted price for elex vehicle charging in the middle of the night. I drive up the I-15 every day and if I were to drive the fast pass lane every day it would cost me $10-15 per day. So free access there alone would pay for a good bit if the lease. But alas my drive is about 80 miles per day so the fuel / range math doesn't work out. But I do like the car.

Apparently Jerry Brown is giving us Californians another $1,500. https://energycenter.org/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/rebate-funding-status

There are more incentives here though some may not apply to the Volt.
http://www.teslamotors.com/incentives/US/California

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. The Leaf is a $25k car that rides and drives like a $15k car (so you are paying $10k extra for the electrification) but it still goes over bumps like and has the road noise of an econobox.

The Volt is a $35k car that rides (maybe not drives) like a $60k car. The ride is smoother and quieter than any base-model C class Mercedes. The comfort level is incredibly high and I find driving around in it very soothing and calming.

I was surprised by how rigid and grippy it was. I think the big battery running all the way up and down the center of the car provides a strong "spine". To me at least the dynamics were far superior over the Jetta it replaced.

The torque output from a stop seems to be computer-limited and ramps up slowly, but the torque from a 5-10mph roll is suuuuper fun. So, take your foot off the brake, let it get up to its maximum 3mph creep speed, and then mat it. It's the only car I've owned that I was able to make (with traction control off, of course) do a FWD rolling burnout.
Ben, got some questions for you sir.

* How is the performance at fwy speeds? When does the gas engine boost come on? Is it above 55mph or 65mph or 75? Perhaps it's based more on throttle input? If I smash the pedal will the gas motor kick on? How noticeable is the transition? Is there a lag?

* Did you buy the 220-240V charger?

* What kind of mpg do you get when you're going say 75-80mph on a drive to Tahoe or Vegas?

* Have you noticed any cold weather affects to the electric range? I assume we're quite mild here in CA but thought i'd ask.

* How supportive are the front seats?

* Is the navigation option worth it? I use Waze exclusively so I was considering not getting it. Though, I read reviews that the sound system is awesome in this car... I suppose it's partly due to the car being so quiet to begin with.

* How is the performance at fwy speeds? When does the gas engine boost come on? Is it above 55mph or 65mph or 75? Perhaps it's based more on throttle input? If I smash the pedal will the gas motor kick on? How noticeable is the transition? Is there a lag?

* Did you buy the 220-240V charger?

* What kind of mpg do you get when you're going say 75-80mph on a drive to Tahoe or Vegas?

* Have you noticed any cold weather affects to the electric range? I assume we're quite mild here in CA but thought i'd ask.

* How supportive are the front seats?

* Is the navigation option worth it? I use Waze exclusively so I was considering not getting it. Though, I read reviews that the sound system is awesome in this car... I suppose it's partly due to the car being so quiet to begin with.

* The gas engine does not come on until the battery is dead, period. You can cruise at 80mph on the battery though you may only get 20-25 miles of range doing so (whereas you get 35+ using the battery around town at 0-55mph or so). If you know that you are taking a trip where there is some highway first, then some city driving later, and you prefer to use gasoline on the highway and conserve your battery charge for the city, the Volt has a feature called "hold mode" where you can force it to pretend the battery is dead and act like a Prius. When the battery is dead the car becomes a better Prius - the gas motor sounds pretty terrible, but I guess it's quiet, and the transition is pretty seamless and the dynamics of the car don't seem to change at all.

For performance, the car feels very torquey at around-town speeds. On the highway, speeding up to pass is pretty glacial... but the brakes are quiet good so you can do "momentum driving" :wink:

* Nope, I've found that if I go through the charging menu and set the 120v charge speed to 12 amps, I can fill the car up off a standard outlet overnight. The chargers at my workplace are 240v though, which is nice if I drop someone off at the airport in the morning before going to work or something.

* I took the car to Los Angeles and back once and got 44mpg on the way down and 47mpg on the way back up (because I got savvy about when to use the battery and when to coast down the grapevine and recharge...). This was on I-5 at 70mph.

* I got the car in the dead of winter and that's actually when it was getting its best range - high summer temperatures mean I am using the a/c more and that is reducing my range slightly.

* They're very comfortable, no complaints on long trips.

* I have never owned a car with factory nav. In the case of the Volt you do get free OnStar with the lease, and this includes OnStar nav - so I use the OnStar app on my phone to type in an address, and then it sends it to the car. Works well enough for me.

As far as the stereo - well, you saw my other thread, my car audio standards have gone up considerably as of late :tongue: - I dunno if I would call it "awesome", but yes, the car being quiet helps a lot, and I'd say the system is pretty good for a stock system in a non-luxury car. I can certainly see being very happy with it and not being tempted to replace it.

Test drove a 2014 model. I'm pretty impressed with the car for what it is. A local dealer is blowing them out with great lease deals. I'm just trying to figure out if I want only safety package 1 or 1 & 2. I don't need the navigation but the Bose system might be nice.

Thanks for the comments Ben!

Dave, BTW... You're the only reason a Prius is even on the radar for me. Haha! Hope to catch up soon. Sounds like you're moving around again.

Have you driven a 2014 Accord Hybrid or Plug in Hybrid? It seems like it is the best compromise of a normal sedan, hybrid technology and Honda innovation/reliability.

Regan,

The Volt and these other plug-in hybrids weren't out yet when I bought my Prius five years ago. I wouldn't recommend the Prius compared to these others since it is more of an econo-car... like a hybrid Corolla. I mean, if you want to limit your purchase to ~$25k then I highly recommend the Prius, but I would rather spend a bit more and get these nicer, newer alternatives.

It's a great time for car enthusiasts... there's a lot of neat choices out there!

Have you driven a 2014 Accord Hybrid or Plug in Hybrid? It seems like it is the best compromise of a normal sedan, hybrid technology and Honda innovation/reliability.
I have not. Does the Accord have the ability to drive in full electric only? I'm really quite impressed with how the transfer case in the Volt manages Electric Only, Recharge Only, and Hybrid Electric/Gas. Most only do two of these modes.

I am impressed with the 50mpg of the Accord Hybrid. If my commute constituted of a majority of high speed fwy driving I think it would make more sense to get an Accord Hybrid.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a reason PGE here in CA uses the Volt :)

Did you say the range is only 38 miles on full electric?
The newer Volts (2013 or 2014 was the switchover?) has a slightly increased capacity battery. It wasn't a big enough of an increase which required recertification though. I read the unofficial benchmark for the newer Volts is 50 miles on a full charge. Don't quote me on that.. i'm sure it varies depending on driving conditions.

The newer Volts (2013 or 2014 was the switchover?) has a slightly increased capacity battery. It wasn't a big enough of an increase which required recertification though. I read the unofficial benchmark for the newer Volts is 50 miles on a full charge. Don't quote me on that.. i'm sure it varies depending on driving conditions.

I have a '14 and I get in the high 30s. Then again I am a torque addict. My brother borrowed the car once and did 45 miles on a battery.

Considered it but now convinced Hybrids are a short-term stop gap. Huge things are happening with Li batteries with regards to energy density and cost per kW/h. Combined with the ever increasing number of high power chargers (like Tesla's Superchargers) the affordable and efficient BEV is only 3-5 years away. I just have a hard time carting around all that dead weight - and you still are saddled with the typical gas engine maintenance and parts (like spark plugs, belts, filters, exhaust, mufflers, cats, oil changes, anti-freeze, etc).

I'm leasing the car for three years. Technology obsolescence is a non issue.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW... If you're filling up 2-4 times a year... How often do you really need to do an oil change. Think about it :)

If you are filling up 2-4 times a year, you're not using the gas, so do people usually put fuel stabilizer like STA-BIL in the tank?

Back