• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drifting with Torque Vectoring?

The big thing these days with high performance sports cars seems to be having the ability to hang the tail out around corners in an easy and controllable way. Just look at any Chris Harris video and he takes great pleasure in steering with opposite lock. From what I have read, the original NSX was not easy to catch in this way as it was prone to snap spin. Unbelievably, Porsche has engineered this tendency out of the 911, despite all that weight behind the rear wheels and now both the 911 and the Boxster/Cayman are known to be perhaps the best handling cars on the planet. Honda now seems to favor the four wheel drive approach to helping to quell this handling vice. But I am hoping that they keep the tossable/drifting ability in. With this in mind, I am curious how a car with torque vectoring will process this situation. As I understand it, SH-AWD imparts more torque to the outside wheel, helping to drive the car around the corner. But which wheel is the outside wheel when the car is oversteering? Are the sensors going to consider steering wheel angle or just lateral forces? Will it effect just the front wheels or the back wheels as well?

I have a 2005 RL and I can tell you that drifting this car is impossible on dry pavement even with vsa turned off. On raining days it is possible to get the rear to step out a little but then it catches itself too fast and all the fun is over. I have only been able to sustain a continues drift on snow and ice with vsa turned off. With vsa on in the winter it just goes where you point it.

Last edited:
Back