• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

At what RWHP level and lbs. of boost have you cracked a cyl sleeve or popped HG?

Recently turned my stock 3.0L upto 14.5 psi bringing it to 601whp on pump gas and water meth for about 2 months at this level and numerous beat downs the engine and tranny are taking it flawlessly so far. Only thing changed from stock is the colder spark plugs

I'm keeping my eye on your setup haha. I'm thinking of turbocharging mine earlier and building the kit to get it out of the way before I build my engine. I would like to run roughly that hp until that time comes. I won't risk it if it really doesn't last that long. Time and my patience will tell though :)

Recently turned my stock 3.0L upto 14.5 psi bringing it to 601whp on pump gas and water meth for about 2 months at this level and numerous beat downs the engine and tranny are taking it flawlessly so far. Only thing changed from stock is the colder spark plugs

How many miles? Track miles? Big difference between 2 months/500 miles and 2 months/2000 miles including track. .

How many miles? Track miles? Big difference between 2 months/500 miles and 2 months/2000 miles including track. .[/QUOTE
It will be interesting to see how the car stands up at the track or dragstrip. The first time I took my car to the track, after putting on about 10000 miles on the street, and running for only 40 minutes at the track, I had to change fuel filter, have all of my injectors cleaned and recalibrated,and change my fuel pump to a higher volume pump.I just got lucky that I did not hurt the motor as it started to run lean at the end of the session. I have run my car at the dragstrip probably 100 times with no real problems, but at the dragstrip your car only sees 100% throttle for 10-13 seconds ,while at the track you run at 100% throttle a LOT more so any weak link will show up there. FYI I am still on stock internals and stock tranny(rebuilt once). I have taken the car to the dragstrip and the track numerous times, and have about 25000 miles on the car since I first had it tuned. To this point I have not cracked a sleeve or popped a HG ....yet.....but it is only a matter of time before I hurt something. I am presently running 14.2 lbs of boost and 630 RWHP tuned on E-85. I have broken an axle, destroyed a clutch, blown a front tire at the track at 130 mph, and now the transaxle has a lot of gear noise coming out of it again. Still it is great to see another member here building big hp with a stock motor. 601 is very impressive.

Thanks for the comments. I don't drive my car everyday but when I do I drive the hell out of it lol usually i'll be found on a highway doing wide out fourth and fifth gear pulls. So far so good. I won't lie I do constantly look for smoke to see if the headgaskets pushed out during those times and have a set of cometics and arps sitting on hand for when it decides to. Also have 2 spare trannys and 2 sets of axles. Hopefully I won't need those until the built engine is in it. I over killed my fuel system and intercooler, that and a good tune will keep things going longer! I been also thinking of running c85 soon! Wish we had e85 on the pump here

Last edited:
My 1st motor blew due to a bad tune with too much timing and power/471 on stock motor.Current tune is 7lbs/low boost 437whp and 13lbs/high boost 533whp. Over 9,000 miles and still strong other than over heating issue that had nothing to do with tune or build.Stock motors should not have more than 420ish-whp or 400whp to be safe without worries. (ask me how I know)

Seems like a lot of ring lands blow at 13 psi. And on a super charger set up. I've been running 8.5-9.5 psi and that will get me to 430 whp no problem on a dyno jet. 13 psi would put me at over 500 easy. Is the ringland blowing from more psi, or what could be higher IAT from the supercharger?

Seems like a lot of ring lands blow at 13 psi. And on a super charger set up. I've been running 8.5-9.5 psi and that will get me to 430 whp no problem on a dyno jet. 13 psi would put me at over 500 easy. Is the ringland blowing from more psi, or what could be higher IAT from the supercharger?

It is a lot of factors, but most likely the higher temps from increased pressure and IAT's not being controlled can cause detonation to weaken the ring lands and then a ring gap gets closed from the heat expanding the ring. If the ring expands and the gap closes the ring will seize in the top of the bore when the piston changes direction and rip the top of the piston off at the ring lands.

Thats one possibility but there are more, when an engine fails all you can do is examine the destruction, measure a few things and make an educated guess. If you tear down an engine before it fails you can determine what is likely to fail. After the fact you have initial damage and collateral damage to sort through and you end up in a "chicken or egg" situation.

Dave

Back