• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

If you couldn't have a NSX, what would you drive?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but if you couldn't have a NSX, what would you have instead? I've been contemplating this lately, but I have no plans to sell my car. Just trying to figure out what I would be driving.

Idea that have come to mind, but none really stick out:

V8 swapped FD RX-7
e46 M3
Porsche Cayman or Boxster Sypder

and that's pretty much it. I know I must be missing something.

+1 on V8 swapped FD RX-7. Especially if it's BAR'd.

Otherwise I'd settle with the rotary and a decent daily driver (NSX is my daily).

Some Porsche. They make really excellent cars. The NSX happens to be closer to my personal engineering ethos but it's the only one, and if it didn't exist, they would be it.

First of all this scenario really sucks.... but most likely this:

2011_White_Porsche_997_GT3_RS_4.0_Goodwood_FoS.jpg

Agree, this scenerio really really really sucks, but it would most likely be a 911 (993 preferably),Esprit,Viper, 510 or some rusty Yugo, ughhhh at this point it just wouldn't matter as it is just tuff, considering the rarity, purchase price, and cost of long term ownership (reliability); If cost is removed (unfortunately this is a big factor for me) I think it makes it some what easier as the rarity can be had in the higher priced exotics and I guess cost of ownership would not be a factor. In other words in my case if the NSX did not exist I would not be able to fill its place, unless I win the lotto.:smile:

Agree, this scenerio really really really sucks, but it would most likely be a 911 (993 preferably),Esprit,Viper, 510 or some rusty Yugo, ughhhh at this point it just wouldn't matter as it is just tuff, considering the rarity, purchase price, and cost of long term ownership (reliability); If cost is removed (unfortunately this is a big factor for me) I think it makes it some what easier as the rarity can be had in the higher priced exotics and I guess cost of ownership would not be a factor. In other words in my case if the NSX did not exist I would not be able to fill its place, unless I win the lotto.:smile:

That's pretty much where I land. I can't think of anything that has the level of exclusivity, speaks to me as a piece of engineering, and has the reasonable costs associated with it like the NSX does. A Ferrari F360 sounds attractive, as does a Aston V12 vantage, but the Ferrari would cost more to run based on what I have read, and I don't think the V12 Vantage would be as much fun at the track. I could be completely wrong, but the V12 would be more costly to run than the NSX too.

Even though I have no plans to sell I really can't think of what I would want other than the NSX. When I was looking the the NSX, it came down to it, and 2 other cars, the RX-7 and S2000. Since I just sold my Miata, I didn't want another convertible, though I do miss having a drop top a little. The RX-7 would have been a project since I would have wanted to swap the V8 in.

Oh well, I guess I chose right.

I'd be still driving my boosted RSX-S. I miss that car everyday. And an F150 Ecoboost or Toyota Tacoma for a DD and winter/camper Hauler.

Well.... as of today I have a pre-order for the i8 so probably that.

or a Tesla Model S.. I know not an NSX but a car i am working out a deal on.

We had our S2000 before the first NSX, and have no plans of selling that raging little ragtop whatsoever.

But, I suppose the Cayman S is the closest to the NSX with the Evora a distant second (and not a car I would want to own out of warranty).

Brian

The NSX is an odd bird because it does not have a direct competitor IMHO. Price and performance wise it does but not nostalgic value.

If I wanted the best of Japanese 90's feel, which you get in the NSX, I would get a Supra TT 6-speed
If I wanted the mid engine comfortable go-cart feel, I would get a 360 or 430.

Cayman S or R8 V8. Also a big fan of the E60 M5, so that would be on my list too. My neighbor just got a new Cayman S and I have to say it's really nice. If I wanted old school Japanese like Aaron said, I'd probably get a 300ZX TT before a Supra. I always loved that car.

If the NSX didn't exist, my choices would have been:

S2000
MR2 (2nd Gen)

Both lightweight sports cars with personality, good looks, and great reviews. With an RSX Type-S as an honorable mention.

With an expanded budget, I'd be looking at:
Audi R8 V8
C6 Z06
Z3 M Coupe

As mentioned above, the NSX kills on the "X-Factor". Not much out there can touch it.

Happy hunting.

300K? I have two words then: F that.

Hellz no I would not take it over a 458. I was thinking like 120.

Probably an R8 then.

I only sold my S2000 because I wanted to get the NSX so if the NSX didn't exist I would still have my Ap1 Silverstone S2000. Other nicer cars I want to own at some point are newer Porsche Carrera S or GT3, 2006+ Aston Martin V8 Vantage coupe and Ferrari F430 or 458 if budget allows.

If the NSX didn't exist, my choices would have been:

S2000
MR2 (2nd Gen)

Both lightweight sports cars with personality, good looks, and great reviews. With an RSX Type-S as an honorable mention.

With an expanded budget, I'd be looking at:
Audi R8 V8
C6 Z06
Z3 M Coupe

As mentioned above, the NSX kills on the "X-Factor". Not much out there can touch it.

Happy hunting.

I haven't been able to part with my mr2 turbo yet. I always viewed it as a mini-nsx. I think if I had to pick another sports car it would be a porsche cayman s or something very practical like an Acura TSX/2009 M3. I'm leaning towards picking upa TSX as a daily driver. Right now I cummute in to the city a few days via CalTrain so I don't drive a car until the weekend anyhow. With that changing for the better, I may need a DD.

Back